Newbie: I think I found a reason to build my own coils, want to confirm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike-vape

Jun 18, 2020
Hi, newbie to this forum and to mods (just got my first sub-ohm mod), and I am watching posts/videos/articles about building coils. At first I dismissed it as not needed for me, thinking the prebuilt coils are fine. But I think I just realized why I should build my own coils (but want confirmation).
It's not to save money (though it will), not to get more clouds, but this:
I am currently a little freaky about keeping temperature down to avoid carcinogens from burning PG/VG (I know debatable, but that's where my head is at). So I am favoring TC mode instead of power mode. But I am finding that with moderate-high temp limits (450F), on pre-made insertable coil cylinders, the vapor production is a bit low. Then it hit me. If I built some BIG coils, maybe dual coils, maybe longer coils, I'd get more vapor at the same temp.
So my question is, is that true? If so, any advice on direction I should take to optimize that? For example, what is the best RTD tank for big coils and for a big dual coil? Best way to max out the size? Or will I get too many ohms if I go too big?
Thanks for any advice, I appreciate it. Michael

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I found RTAs had more flavour, and produced more vapour than drop-in tanks. You can increase the vapour production by using complex coil builds such as framed staples, or quad core claptons. Plus use a higher VG ejuice (at least 70/30 VG/pg)

For your first RTA it may be easier to start with a single coil RTA. Once you are happy with that, then move onto a dual coil RTA. But people have done their first ever build on dual coil RTA - so if that's what you want to do, we will all give you a hand with it.

More popular dual coil RTAs include Geekvape Zeus X, Hellvape Dead Rabbit, and Dopvo Blotto RTA. You can also run a large single coil in these RTAs

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    @Mike-vape, as @AngeNZ has stated it's trying to keep the coil mass down while also trying to get as much surface area as possible in contact with the saturated wicking.

Flat wire is great for keeping things simple.

Mesh also may be a good option as well then, as you can easily get hold of Stainless Steel mesh. Which is good in either Power or TC modes and is also one of the safest metals to use.

Also RDTA's may be an option as well for a rebuildable atomiser, as they're easier to work with than RTA's. As they're a middle ground between RTA's and RDA's, so kind of the best of both worlds.

I know there's the Exvape Expromizer TCM RDTA and there's a few Steam Crave RDTA's with mesh deck options as well, I'm waiting for a couple of Steam Crave Aromamizer Plus V2 Advanced RDTA's with the mesh decks to arrive in the vape mail with some Vandy Vape SS316L mesh spools.

So I'll be more than happy to let anyone know how bad that goes, but @debinnv is the person to ask anything about Steam Crave products.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 5, 2011
    Knoxville, TN USA
    Most vapers will never exceed the temps necessary to form carcinogens, because the study that proclaimed the possibility was produced by anti- nicotine/tobacco zealots (ANTZ). Vaping at those temps is highly unpleasant with burnt flavorings, etc.

Just because you own a Bugatti, does not assume that you drive +200mph and feel safe about it.

• Agree
    Reactions: Javichu

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    @Dougiestyle, it was also using ego style vape mpds in a way that no one ever could.

So it was biased somewhat and they never tested any other style vape mods and atomisers.

I think that there was a study done in Japan though that tested various mods and atomisers on the market, even that couldn't replicate the same results with the ego style. But the results were interesting indeed, as a few were exceeding the temperature range and they weren't the ones you'd think.

• Agree
    Reactions: Dougiestyle
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread