Newbie question about wick materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvad

Jan 3, 2013
Kennesaw, GA
Hello, this is my first post but I've reading ECF for about 1 month, this is a great community and has for sure helped make my vaping experience much better!!

I've been vaping for about 1.5 months and I'm almost done with analogues, I only have the odd one here and there (much better than half a pack a day).

I'm getting ready to rewick/recoil one of my vivi novas, I was ready to order the supplied I need for that when I came across this thread:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/284030-wick-materials-safe-vs-dangerous.html

In case the link does not work is the one called wick-materials-safe-vs-dangerous. I'm not lazy and tried to go through it, after reading more than 200 postings it is clear to me that there are some concerns about silica wicks, but it is not clear for me what the safest material to use is.

Can anybody enlighten me on what's the safest material to use (a link on where to buy it will be appreciated). I tried not to be lazy but the thread has over 4000 posts, so if somebody already knows the answer it will be much appreciated.

Note, I don't mind trading off some TH, vapor production or flavor for the sake of using a safer wick.

Thanks in advance and vape on!

T41CK

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2011
Taylors Falls, Minnesota
Well I think the all around safest would be Stainless Steel Mesh, it would be kind of a pain to rebuild the vivi with but I think it can be done.

I have heard that silica wick are probably not the safest thing to use but I look at it this way... Cotton has a lower burning point thus it will burn a lot quicker if not wet enough. I know I don't want to inhale actual smoke from burnt cotton

Silica wick has a higher MELTING point than cotton, but it is probably not the safest for you if it ever got to the actual melting point.

Overall using either or will be a lot safe than smoking cigs

I just bought a crap load of nichrone wire from ebay costing about $12 for 250ft. Be sure to get the right gauge to go well with the volts you are pushing from your device. If you just have a standard device with no VV, I would recommend 28 gauge wire for this is what I use to rebuild my stardust and it works amazingly. You can also use 32 gauge wire but I prefer 28

Stainless Steel mesh tastes amazing the only thing is, it has a bit of a wicking problem;)

jvad

Jan 3, 2013
Kennesaw, GA
T41ck,

Thanks for the info, I use an ego vv with settings for 3.2, 3.7 and 4.2 volts, so would
You recommend 28 or 32 gauge.

Why will it be difficult to rewick a vivi nova with ss mesh? (I'm new to thi
So sorry for all the quesions :) )

Any advise on where to buy the ss mesh will be appreciated

Well I think the all around safest would be Stainless Steel Mesh, it would be kind of a pain to rebuild the vivi with but I think it can be done.

I have heard that silica wick are probably not the safest thing to use but I look at it this way... Cotton has a lower burning point thus it will burn a lot quicker if not wet enough. I know I don't want to inhale actual smoke from burnt cotton

Silica wick has a higher MELTING point than cotton, but it is probably not the safest for you if it ever got to the actual melting point.

Overall using either or will be a lot safe than smoking cigs

I just bought a crap load of nichrone wire from ebay costing about $12 for 250ft. Be sure to get the right gauge to go well with the volts you are pushing from your device. If you just have a standard device with no VV, I would recommend 28 gauge wire for this is what I use to rebuild my stardust and it works amazingly. You can also use 32 gauge wire but I prefer 28

Stainless Steel mesh tastes amazing the only thing is, it has a bit of a wicking problem;)

Last edited:

dbowen

Verified Member
Jan 14, 2013
Denver, CO
I bought mine off ebay, but I also found a thread linking to it at a vendor the other day.

316L Stainless Steel 400 Mesh, twill weave. 12"x12".

The price is definitely cheaper than I paid on ebay, I'll probably try them next. For vaping most recommend 316/316L stainless steel and either 325/400 mesh. 325 for thicker juices, and 400 for thinner.

I don't think you'd have a problem wicking it in the vivi nova (what i'm going to be doing actually!), but I'll let you know my results once the mesh comes in. It just needs to be oxidized properly to reduce the conductivity of the mesh so it doesn't short.

Winter park is great fun, I just wish we were getting more snow to make it worth while this year =/.

jvad

Jan 3, 2013
Kennesaw, GA
@dbowen,

Hello, sorry for late reply, I went on a quick skii trip to NC, skii runs are very small there, I will be headed to Winterpark at the end of March, I heard they are getting more snow lately.

I'm happy to hear you were successful rebuilding with SS mesh and that it is working great, I just rebuilt one vivi nova head using some silica wick I had at hand and also some cotton yarn (The cotton I used seems to mute the flavor a bit). I just ordered the SS mesh you proposed and also some hemp for which some people is reporting good results. I want to rebuild with both and try them side by side with the same juices to see what differences I notice.

I'll report back in a week or two when I receive all the shipments
cheers

jvad

Jan 3, 2013
Kennesaw, GA
@dbowen,

So I finally got my ss mesh (still waiting for the hemp cord). I rebuilded one vivi nova mini with the ss mesh.

I think flavor and vapor production are better than with silica wick, not by much but there is for sure an improvement.

Now, I only hope the ss mesh is safer than the silica, after oxydzing the ss mesh i became a bit worried that some of the oxydization may come loose while vaping and I will be putting it o. My lungs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread