• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

No Lobbying Friends and no extra taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonnyinbc

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2009
Vancouver Island,B.C. Canada
This is what worries me about my new found freedom-vis-a-vis nictotine and no tar and other harmful chems.

Gov is gonna suffer for want of revenue and so are the "death dealing tobacco companies"..--Do either of these two partners care about the rest of us getting our nicotine fix without the baddies??

Well, people, I am 62 years old and can say that I am damn well ready to go and "kick the **** out of the idiots that say we can`t have our ecigs"..

It is a given that we are a minority, but we have a good cause, no tar, no second hand smoke, and surprise,surprise--we are all much healthier>>

Worse comes to worse--lets really get together and give the gov an absoulte push.:cool: Or a good kick in the ...:mad:

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I was wondering about the tax idea so I did a bit of research. Revenue from cigs generates about 2.5 billion a year in Canada. Way back in the 90's the cost of smoking was a massive 15 billion a year for health care, lost productivity, etc. (government of Canada website was the source)

No matter how you cut it, smoking tobacco is very expensive to ALL Canadians. Because we don't have powerful lobbies up here in Canada, the government has a heavily vested interest in reducing the cost of smoking. The cost more than any other issue is the reason our government pushes the anti-smoking agenda every chance it gets.

Given this simple fact, I can see no other possible outcome for e-cigs than for it to eventually become an accepted and even a promoted alternative. This of course will be based on Health Canada satisfying itself that the cure is not worse than the disease.

Best solution, in my view, is to stock up with a years supply in case there is down time while it gets sorted and then sit back, vape away, and wait for the market to mature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread