no longer addicted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

millera

Sep 7, 2013
USA
I started vaping last month. It was very easy for me to quit smoking. I had been a smoker for around ten years, varying between 1/2 pack to 3 packs a day. I had quit a couple of times in the past (once for a year, once for six months) cold turkey. I failed to quit using gum, patches, and chantix.

The odd thing is, I really enjoy vaping... But I have felt less and less inclined to do it. So much so that I thought to myself over the weekend that I don't even feel addicted to nicotine anymore. As a test, I have now gone three days without vaping at all, and I have had no desire to smoke or to vape. I like vaping, so I will probably still do it some. But there is no urge or compulsion. Has anyone else experienced this?

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Well I'm addicted to a lot of things. It's just in my physical and chemical genetic make up. I recognize my addictions and don't do the ones that are harmful to me, mostly. lol. I've cut my nic levels way down, not of some set out goal or plan, but because I had to. Ever since I went to rba's and better builds, I get a better nicotine delivery, and was getting way over nic'd. Down to 12mg from doing 24 & 36mg.

I don't have any plans to quit vapping at all, unless the excitement of doing a new build and developing a new recipe for my juices wanes.
Damn, was going to make an apple pie vape today, have 4 rba's rebuilt with dual coils, and only 3 flavors of juice mixed up. lol, life is tough.

Congrats on not being addicted, I guess. But 3 days without a drink, I mean a vape, does not equate to being a non-addict. Sounds more like denial. It takes longer than three days for the nicotine to leave your body, and weeks before the physical withdrawals pass. months for the mental withdrawals. Least that's what the doctors and abused drug consolers say. It's interesting to note that nicotine is one of the two most abused and addictive drugs out there, especially so when combined with the added addictive chemicals added to cigarettes. Something like 20 times more addictive than heroine or coke. The other most abused drug is caffeine.

Vape long and Prosper!!

or not.

Evi|grin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2013
Vaping was an instant success for me as far as quitting smoking. Ive only had 2-3 quick moments of a craving for an analog and all it takes is to smell one. Then i cant stand the thought anymore. The first week was actually the easiest but i started with some 30mg and 24mg nic juice. Menthol and icy mints really work well for me and i was not a menthol smoker. I can go much lower on nic with those and be pretty happy. All of mine are 18mg-12mg after less than 90 days.

Now, depending on the flavor im very happy with even 12mg although i do vape a little more with lower nic. ATM i really enjoy some flavors and i can see myself going no nic with them. Im in no hurry to get there. I enjoy my morning vape just like i enjoy my morning coffee. If im addicted to one, im addicted to both. I must have a strong cup or two in the morning or i feel like im half asleep until lunch.

rangie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
NOTTINGHAM ENGLAND
I haven't had that feeling but I can go longer between vapes but there's nothing more I like than sitting down on my pc playing a online game with friends from all over world being on TeamSpeak chatting about vaping and what new stuff we have and just generally chatting till the early hours but I have got down to low amount of nicotine 6mg from 2.4mg so if I can get to 0mg at sometime that will be great but I will still vape because I love the flavours you can buy and its a nice little hobby to as im disabled with spine problems so im not able to work anymore and do the normal things that I used to enjoy

millera

Sep 7, 2013
USA
[/QUOTE]Congrats on not being addicted, I guess. But 3 days without a drink, I mean a vape, does not equate to being a non-addict. Sounds more like denial. It takes longer than three days for the nicotine to leave your body, and weeks before the physical withdrawals pass. months for the mental withdrawals. Least that's what the doctors and abused drug consolers say.[/QUOTE]

It's about 40 days without an analog, 5 days without vaping. I am not saying that I don't think I'm addicted because I didn't smoke or vape for that much time. It's that I have no urge to, no desire to... It doesn't cross my mind. I'm not resisting anything. Even when I'm around people smoking or vaping, I don't feel any need to participate.

millera

Sep 7, 2013
USA
Yeah I put my vaping stuff away, but now that I have seen that I can easily go without it, I will probably get it back out. it is definitely enjoyable. I should note that once I quit cold turkey the other times I quit, I was surprised at how easy it was for me. When I started again, it was by choice. So maybe it is just something where I am able to quit easily. I am pretty strong-willed, so when I decided to quit, I just did it. With cold turkey, there were cravings, but I ignored them and they went away. With switching to vaping and then stopping vaping, I noticed no cravings at all. I guess what I was really getting at was that:
1) perhaps nicotine was not what I was addicted to, or at least not what I was most addicted to.
2) perhaps it is true that vaping does not deliver much nicotine, and so I was weaned off it while being able to continue the physical habit
and/or 3) perhaps either/both the addiction and/or the non addiction are completely or mostly psychological.

In case 1, you would expect to have cravings for the first few days of vaping, which would likely be attenuated at least to some extent by the physical action of vaping, particularly if using a cigalike. Case 2 would be the same for practical purposes. Case 3 is interesting, and warrants some consideration IMO.

I think that sometimes we are told we are addicted and believe it, and this results in a stronger addiction. I am not saying that there are not people who are truly addicted... But I have never seen anyone in the process of quitting cigarettes be physically ill in the way that alcoholics and other drug addicts get in detox. Perhaps it happens. When you are PHYSICALLY addicted to something, that ought to happen. Simply craving something doesn't constitute a physical addiction. I was addicted to cigarettes in the same way I'm addicted to having a smartphone. I am used to it, it is a habit that I enjoy, and quitting would be/was frustrating nearly to the point of pain (although for me, not this time)... But after a few days, you get used to it, realize the habit was taking up a lot of time and money, and learn to live without it.

Personally, I can't imagine life without my smartphone, so that was a good analogy for me. Perhaps Facebook or chocolate would be a better analogy for others.

57chilicat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2011
McKinney, TX
The mental withdrawal is where I am now. Looking forward to the day when I can honestly say I don't want an analog. I am vaping 20 but really want to move down to 12 or 18 in a month or so. This is my third time around because I have had two major back slides. I don't want to decrease too fast and end up smoking again. They do say the third time is the charm. I am much more prepared this time and have much better equipment than I had 5 years ago. I would love to see the day when I don't smoke and don't feel the need to vape. But for now I will take it one day at a time :)

Pita

Oct 27, 2013
Texas
I had no idea quitting analogs would be so easy....vaping was the perfect thing. I have no time limit on how long to vape , I'd like to quit vaping one day but no rush/pressure. I will be decreasing nic to 12mg when I've used most of my 18mg. Just feels like it's almost time to do that. When I was smoking I always figured I was more emotionally addicted than physical.....although there is physical addiction for me to deal with. I have zero intention of ever smoking again but realize the nature of the beast. But I will fight to the end and if I go down, I'll go down kicking and screaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread