Not open for further replies.

MacDiver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2010
Morehead City, NC
Congrats! That's really great!

I'm trying to get there but no rush.

I've been vaping since mid Feb and started at 24. Three weeks ago I took the plunge and went to 18 and about a week after that to 16. I haven't had any urges to go back to a higher level.

I had pretty hard withdraws for the first week when I first started vaping but I just kept hitting my PV hard and finally they went away. I'm now about convinced that the tobacco companies put other stuff in cigs that is addicting too. I'm thinking that is the reason I didn't have any trouble lowering my nic content. Anyone else have my experience?

:)

VaporingQueen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2010
Virginia
I did MacDiver, I had all kinds of problems when I quit smoking and it was hard to tell if it was the e-cig or the smokes because I was still learning. Needless to say after all the 4000 crappy chemicals from the smokes got out of my body I was good to go. I had withdrawals from everything but the Nic.

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
so I started in January with 24mg liquid......cut back to 12mg in March.....started using 6mg in June.....as of last week I started using TV Menthol doubler in the evenings......thank you.....
I think it's a question of finding the lowest level you can vape without cravings. I "smoked" 3+ packs a day so I started with 24-36mg. That was too much (and I found out that I lit 3+ packs of cigarettes a day. I smoked a fraction of that.)

The switch to 12mg was effortless. I might have vaped a bit more than I had at a higher level -- if my body needed a little extra nicotine it got it via a few extra puffs. But I clearly didn't need the higher levels full time.

I did almost no vaping for 2 weeks in June (illness) so I decided that I was already nic-free and I'd keep it that way. It worked for a month. By the end of that time, I was getting enormous cravings for a cigarette. I had been vaping with no cravings for 6 months. Suddenly I really, really wanted to set fire to a paper tube filled with dry, shredded plants and see how bad I could smell.

So I'm back to where you are now -- 6mg during the day and 0 in the evenings. (Some days, "evening" starts later than others.) And the cravings are gone. It apparently doesn't take much for me to take the edge off. And, thanks to TV doublers, doing various levels of nic is easy.

If you can go nic-free, great. (I'll keep my fingers crossed for everyone who tries it.) But just remember that if it takes a little nicotine to keep you off cigarettes, that's not a terrible thing.

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
Thanks Poeia for the insight. I have been vaping 24mg, but I still notice that when I don't vape for a few hours I start withdrawing and get edgy. I so want to lower my nic level without the major withdrawals. Maybe I am just not ready.
Maybe you're not ready for 12 but you might be ready for 20mg. If you are combining e-liquid and doublers, next time put a tiny bit more doubler in there. Your body won't know the difference.

CartHeadMod

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2010
Holland, Michigan
I would like to know what to expect too. I want to go to 0 nic but I'm a little scared.

just give it a try.....load up a carto with 0 nic and substitute it once, then twice in a row.....no expectations, fully aware you can nic it again if you want.....I find the TV Menthol has sufficient throat hit to keep me satisfied.....

re: the questions about urges, since I still use nic during the day I'm not sure.....unless you're asking about quitting cigarettes overall....I was one of the lucky ones....I smoked my last cigarette the day I vaped my first ecig.....

CartHeadMod

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2010
Holland, Michigan
Maybe you're not ready for 12 but you might be ready for 20mg. If you are combining e-liquid and doublers, next time put a tiny bit more doubler in there. Your body won't know the difference.

um, it noticed when I went from 24-12.../grins.....I think I started using twice as much juice the first day I switched......took me a while to get back to normal usage.....

VaporChef

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2010
NYC, USA
This is really great to read that others are being successful at gradually reducing their nic. I initially hoped to follow that same approach. I recall it was proven long ago that the cigarette manufacturers purposely added ingredients to keep people hooked. Follow the money...

I got my kit on 5/15, was only smoking about half a pack a day then. Had about 5 cigs left, took both PVs (one with 24mg, one with 18mg) to work an all-day event (for tobacco-hating non-smokers) on 5/17 where I knew I would be stressed and took stealth breaks in the bathroom whenever I had a chance. My last analog was the morning of 5/18 and I found that 18mg was not enough at first. Kicked up to 24 for awhile and had some really stressful times when I vaped 24 almost constantly, but life is going better now and I'm vaping lower and less. For "bad times" I filled a carto of 36mg so it's always ready. Went through 6 ml of that in a week, but in the past month I've only used about 3ml more.

I started with only 10 ml of 24mg tobacco flavor and 10 ml of 18mg French Vanilla. Used up the French Vanilla first. I still have some of the tobacco flavor juice left, and one of the original sealed tobacco cartridges. I wanted flavor to help me transition (I'm a foodie so I thought it might be a good strategy) and it has helped. Sometimes I think about opening that last tobacco cartridge just to remember what tobacco flavor tastes like, or trying other tobacco juices, but I just vape some English Toffee or Pina Colada and the idea disappears. I also started with all-VG juices to disassociate from throat hit. Now I actually dislike TH. It hurts! Though I have some juices with maybe 30% PG in them now, it's to help flavor.

I have mostly been vaping 16-18mg lately, and vaping less in general. I'm not even trying to cut down, it just seems to be happening. Yesterday something really bad happened that made me very, very angry (in the past, such situations would make me feel like lighting 5 cigs at once and putting them into every available orifice) but I hardly even touched the 36. I preferred my current favorite flavor instead, it comforted me more than nic.

I now notice IMMEDIATELY when a cartridge or cartomizer is going dry.

Although I am a DIY person for flavor exploration, I think the Doublers are a fabulous idea. They allow the same strategy of cutting down without flavor loss, but without the time and mess of mixing your own. I didn't learn about Doublers until after I got a DIY kit though.

I'm guessing that we're replacing old associations with whatever positive associations we now prefer, such as flavor. You think?

Last edited:

mux

Jun 18, 2010
West Coast
Congrats CartHeadMod, glad to hear you have been successful!

I recently just cut down to 6mg myself and I am hoping to start using no nic in a month or two. This new menthol that the TV crew mixed for me is really helping me fight those strong menthol analog cravings I was having the past few weeks.

It's weird, I don't have a strong craving for nicotine necessarily, but more of a craving for that menthol TH. Can't really explain it, but this new mix is almost a perfect vape for me. Might try mixing a little of Mojito with this in a small batch next time I order. :)

mux

Jun 18, 2010
West Coast
mux.....what did you ask for?....I like the menthol also, maybe more than the nic!
I believe it to be a mix of menthol and either tin box mint (Haven't ordered TBM yet, but the mint in this mix is exactly what I imagine TBM to taste like) or a special peppermint mix. It's so weird, I swear I can taste slight hints of powder from an altoid when I vape this. :laugh: I have been meaning to get a hold of someone at TV so I know what to re-order eventually. I'll let you know exactly what it was once I figure it out.

Got a doubler at 30% vg and liquid at 48mg and 10% vg and it rocks. Looks like I'm going to be needing another doubler now that I have successfully stepped down the nicotine. The TH is amazing even at 6mg and the taste isn't a strong eucalyptus type menthol. It definitely is a more mild mint with an undertone of menthol with the exact smooth, menthol TH I was looking for. Bare in mind, this stuff was extremely ready to vape right out of the box. So I'm curious how much better it's going to be after steeping for about another 8 days or so (Received it last Friday and it's only been getting better).

It is definitely the smoothest vape I've ever experienced to date. I can't stress that enough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread