Noob DIY Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZneoFreak

Nov 26, 2018
I have been Vapeing for years and only recently began to make my own Juices. The first Set of Flavor Extracts i got where cheap but got the job done. Recently i purchased Capella Flavor concentrates to begin experimenting with, Like a noob i used my old recipes i had created useing the low-budget concentrate i started with. Well Capella concentrates are a lot more potent in flavor and require a lower percentage in the mix.

So my Question is: I have a 60ml bottle of Hard Apple Cotton Candy that is to potent in taste. Can i mix a second 60 ml Bottle of PG/VG/NIC without any flavor and add it to the bottle of Hard Apple Cotton candy to thin it out? Are there any draw backs to doing this?

Thank you
-Zneofreak-

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
There are no drawbacks.

Just less flavour. It depends how much flavouring your original juice has.

I only use Capella flavourings. I use 6ml of flavouring in every 80ml of juice i make, so that's 7.5% flavouring (0.75ml per 10ml of juice). Though some people might want more, even as much as double or even treble that.

Capella aren't any more concentrated than other well known brands though.

Maybe you should just add 10ml of your flavourless juice at a time and go from there.

Reactions: Opinionated

ZneoFreak

Nov 26, 2018
That is a great ideal. Say i take 10ml of Apple and add in 10 ml of blank, keep adding blank untill i get the taste i want. How would i calculate that to know what percentage i want once i go to make a fresh bottle next time? Any suggestions?

Even: I originally started with 15% of Hard apple and 10% Cotton candy (Capella).
The Percentages i originally used with my no-name brand.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
That is a great ideal. Say i take 10ml of Apple and add in 10 ml of blank, keep adding blank untill i get the taste i want. How would i calculate that to know what percentage i want once i go to make a fresh bottle next time? Any suggestions?

Even: I originally started with 15% of Hard apple and 10% Cotton candy (Capella).

There are a lot of ejuice calculators online, I often use this one:

E-Liquid Calculator - Best DIY Vape eJuice Calculator

Just keep recalculating as you add unflavored and then you will know your exact sweet spot...

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013

So 25% then !.

Yes, i'd say if you add 10ml to 10ml you will half your flavour, bringing it down to "12.5%", which to me sounds reasonable.

Difficult to calculate how you'd go about knowing how much to use from scratch though, from my point of view i mean.

If the 25% is far too much, which it is, then just make up 5ml of juice (from scratch) with half a mil (0.5ml) of flavouring (10%). Use it !. If after you've used it, it didn't have enough flavour then make 5ml with 0.6ml of flavouring (12% flavouring). Just boost it by 0.1ml each time you make up 5ml. And each time the % goes up by 2%.

5ml with 0.5ml flavouring = 10% flavouring.
10ml with 1ml flavouring = 10% flavouring.

So...

5ml with 0.6ml flavouring = 12% flavouring.
10ml with 1.2ml flavouring (which is 2 x 0.6ml) = 12%.

5ml with 0.7ml flavouring = 14% flavouring. Which is the same as 10ml with 1.4ml of flavouring, equaling 14% flavouring.

And so on !.

You'll definitely need some 2ml syringes though.

Reactions: ZneoFreak

ZneoFreak

Nov 26, 2018
@Opinionated: I use the 'Ejuice me up' Calculator, has saved me a lot of trouble thus far. I just made the mistake of thinking nothing would change from brand to brand. The no-name brand i used be4 was super cheap and required 20-25% to get full flavor. Capella seems to be much better quality and a lot of people use closer to 5-10%.

@even: Thank you, that is very Valuable advice. 25% is WAY to much flavor to the point it leaves a thick residue
in my mouth. I have a assortment of syringes from 2ml to 60ml. I will crunch your numbers and continue to experiment with finding that sweet spot.

Thank you all for your advice.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
@ZneoFreak, to adjust (dilute) a preexisting mix, you could use this simple on-line calculator:
Cosmic E Juice calculator

It is a collection of simple calculators compiled by @CosmicTruth. No downloads required. No need to input the original recipe. Just insert the volume you want to dilute. What the original flavor percentage is. And what you want the diluted flavor percentage to be. The calculator tells you how much unflavored base to add.

Note: there are several adjustment calculators on the "Adjust" tab/page. You will want the second calculator for what you are currently doing:
upload_2018-11-26_17-54-40.png

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
@IDJoel : That is one hell of a calculator. Is there a Tutorial or a class i can take to learn the basics? lol,
I do have a tendency to over-explain. <sigh> :facepalm::D

I use this calculator as a secondary resource. My primary is JuiceCalculator (created my another ECF member; @HotRod19579). In addition to having a solid mixing calc., recipe & inventory management; it has most of the secondary calcs. I might have need for.

However, for those wanting an on-line option, or just simple re-figuring calculators (that are often not included with some of the more popular mixing calculators), I like to point out Cosmic E Juice Calculator.

The creator of the Cosmic E Juice Calculator... @CosmicTruth, is also a member here. If you have questions; you can send him a PM (start a conversation).

:)

• Useful
Reactions: ZneoFreak

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
@IDJoel : i think when u first look at it it looks overwhelming. I have already found the options on the Adjust tab to be very helpful. Thank you for suggesting it.
Glad it helped.:thumb:

I agree; with multiple calculators, on a single page, it can be a bit confusing at first. (Hence, my earlier pictograph. :rolleyes:)

ECF is a good community... with plenty of folks who want to help. You can find answers to most questions simply by asking. And, unlike some other sites; brow beating, belittling, and bullying are frowned upon. One doesn't have to worry about being made to feel "dumb," for asking.

I have received LOTS of help from so many good people here. I just try to carry on the tradition others already began. Welcome to the community!
:toast:

• Agree
Reactions: charlie1465

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Yeah 25% total flavorings can be a bit high, though i made a lemonade with only 2 lemon flavors at a ridiculously high percentage once and it turned out like i wanted it to taste, all the way to the last drop. Lemon seems to be the only citrus that doesnt get bitter at higher percentages. I cant say about apple because ive never tried any yet, and high concentrations of cotton candy would be overly sweet to my taste. But everyone's tastes are different and only you can decide what tastes good to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread