Nothing is making sense. Please help!

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
I just used this calculator that was recommended on here.
As you can see from the screenshot, it has calculated 25.22grams nicotine.
But this is wrong, because it's showing 20ml in the quantity column.
Each bottle is exactly 10ml. It took two bottles and some more from a third bottle to make.
But it says 20ml. I have now put more than 20ml in, because I went and followed the damned calculator. This means I have got to have gone over my 6mg target.
The resulting liquid feels more than my 6mg target. I know what 6mg feels like and this isn't it. Now my hands are shaking, my head feels hot, my heart is racing and I think I'm going to throw up any minute.
I'm also really annoyed, because I will have to throw this juice and I haven't got any more nicotine left. Now I have to go to the shop again for more. And I don't want to leave the house feeling like this.

Please tell me what is going wrong.

Screen Shot 2024-05-01 at 05.25.31.png

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    There's a summary below your screenshot that you didn't include (see circled below). Can you show us what that says?

Your calculations look like they're in the ballpark since you're using 33% of your 18mg nic solution.

18mg divided into 3 parts would be 6mg.

Since you added 20ml more 18mg nic solution, you'll need to add another 40ml of pg/vg/flavor total to bring it back down to 6mg.

So, don't throw it away. You are probably vaping 12mg juice. Hopefully, you have recovered.

Also, 14% for single flavor seems rather high. Is it a one shot or a specific manufactured flavor?

1714565571461.png

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I just used this calculator that was recommended on here.
    Each bottle is exactly 10ml. It took two bottles and some more from a third bottle to make.
    But it says 20ml. I have now put more than 20ml in, because I went and followed the damned calculator. This means I have got to have gone over my 6mg target.
    The resulting liquid feels more than my 6mg target. I know what 6mg feels like and this isn't it. Now my hands are shaking, my head feels hot, my heart is racing and I think I'm going to throw up any minute.
    I'm also really annoyed, because I will have to throw this juice and I haven't got any more nicotine left. Now I have to go to the shop again for more. And I don't want to leave the house feeling like this.

View attachment 1012145

To get Help with a Recipe, or DIY in General, you need to provide Two Things.

One... What are you Trying to Do? and Two... What are using to Do It?

I look at the above screen shot recipe and it doesn't look all that crazy. But you say that the result feels like More than 6mg/ml. So then I wonder if you are using 100mg/ml Nicotine Base and not 18mg/ml?

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I look at the above screen shot recipe and it doesn't look all that crazy. But you say that the result feels like More than 6mg/ml. So then I wonder if you are using 100mg/ml Nicotine Base and not 18mg/ml?
    I’m going with over flavoring and/or no steep time. Perhaps there are hotspots of nicotine due to not shaking.

No telling until this guy comes back.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I’m going with over flavoring and/or no steep time. Perhaps there are hotspots of nicotine due to not shaking.

No telling until this guy comes back.

Wacked Flavoring could Most Definitely be the issue. Aren't most Tobacco Flavorings used in Low Single Digits with Super Long Steep Times?

• Agree
    Reactions: smacuser

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Wacked Flavoring could Most Definitely be the issue. Aren't most Tobacco Flavorings used in Low Single Digits with Super Long Steep Times?
    Yeah. That’s why I asked if it’s a one shot. A lot of those have a bunch of other flavors like custards and vanillas. So, it’s not out of the question. Still needs some steeping. I used single flavors that range from 1.5 to 7%.

gloopdegurp

DIY Hack
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 3, 2022
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Hello, Dan, sorry to hear you are having trouble.

It is not wrong.
    Water has a specific gravity of 1.00, so 1ml of water is equal to 1g. Or, 20ml would equal 20g.

VG has a specific gravity of 1.26, so is 1.26 times heavier than water for the same volume.
    20ml of VG will weigh 25.2g.

The 0.02 gram variance of this result vs that of the calculator could be due to the calculator using a more exact reference for the specific gravity of VG or could also be accounting for the specific gravity of liquid nicotine which is 1.01, slightly heavier than water as well.

Why you had to add more than two 10ml VG nicotine shots when weighing things out I have no idea.

Last edited:

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
    To get Help with a Recipe, or DIY in General, you need to provide Two Things.

One... What are you Trying to Do? and Two... What are using to Do It?

I'm really sorry about that. I thought it was clear what I was trying to do. Obviously not. I didn't realise it wasn't clear. It's 18mg I am using, in a 100VG solution. But I think the last one I was using was 30/70.

• Useful
    Reactions: zoiDman

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
    You have 100PG shown in the recipe not 100VG
    No, that was the other person doing an unflavoured test, as an example, to help me.
    Mine says 18mg 100% VG.

Edit:
    Oh, you're right, sorry. If you mean my second one. Yes, that was an error. I corrected that to 100VG but it didn't solve the problem. The calculator still showed an error alert.

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
    Yeah. That’s why I asked if it’s a one shot. A lot of those have a bunch of other flavors like custards and vanillas. So, it’s not out of the question. Still needs some steeping. I used single flavors that range from 1.5 to 7%.
    I'm using one single flavour for these. I can't steep them, I need to vape them immediately. The reason I've mixed in small batches, is because this is the general advice given to beginners.
    Steeping isn't an issue anyway, as they taste fine immediately. Though I have found that the cigar flavour and the biscuit flavour do improve over the course of a few days.
    Also, mixing is a chore. Which means I tend to avoid it until the last minute. Yes, I am sure it would pay me to prepare some more in advance, for the purposes of steeping.
    I'm usually driven by anxiety and nicotine deprivation.

Last edited:

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    A friend of mine has advised me to stop mixing by weight and go with volume instead.
    I measure my nicotine liquid, PG, and VG with a measuring cup. Sometimes I add drops of flavor(s) to that. About 20 drops = 1ml. Note that is different depending on how big a drip a bottle thinks a drip should be.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    I've mixed in small batches, is because this is the general advice given to beginners.
    I mix/make small batches too. A 100 or 200 ml. bottle of nic, PG, and VG. I have a 30 ml. squeezable bottle with a 'filler needle' that I fill off that, this is also my 'flavor bottle' if I've added flavor.

Reactions: Dan_V

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I'm really sorry about that. I thought it was clear what I was trying to do. Obviously not. I didn't realise it wasn't clear. It's 18mg I am using, in a 100VG solution. But I think the last one I was using was 30/70.

OK... Cool

You have an Unflavored Nicotine Base which is 100% VG @ 18mg/ml. You also have a Cigar Flavoring which is 100% PG. And I'll assume for the sake of All that is Holy that you have some VG and some PG on hand.

You want to make a Cigar Flavored e-Liquid that is 60% VG | 40% PG @ 6mg/ml . That sounds Doable. I'll say why later.

So here is the Break-Down of how to Actually make what you want to make.

DIY_5-6-24.png

Now... How you actually Measure things is up to you. It's kinda a Blue Chevy / Green Ford thing. I think when one is New to DIY, that measuring by volume (measuring in Milliliters) is more intuitive that by weight. But that just Me and my Green Ford.

The Key is there is a Big Check Mark before the words "This can be mixed".

JTRYM - I said it before but I'll say it again... 14% Tobacco Flavoring seems High to me. But I did say that I was never a Tobacco e-Liquid DIYer. Only what I have read about here on the ECF.

Users who are viewing this thread