O-Ring Material for E-Cig MOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKZap27

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
USA - Ohio
McMaster-Carr lists several material types for O-Rings.

The list of different material types available for O-Rings can be found by clicking on the following link and paging down to the material section.

McMaster-Carr

Which of the available materials for O-Rings that are listed on the McMaster-Carr web site is the best material for the application of having the O-Ring in contact with the e-liquid for use on an E-Cig mod?

TIA

PK

Edit to add:

Also, what hardness is best for O-Rings in this application, as listed in the Durometer section of the McMaster-Carr web site link above?

Last edited:

OBeer-WAN-Kenobi

ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2011
USA
If you use the McMaster search tool and type in orings in the left pane, the right pane will give you a list of options. I then went to the bottom of that list and picked FDA compliant. That gave me a list of food-safe stuff. I went with item # 5577K35 for my application which is Viton® Fluoroelastomer material.

There are some other food-safe materials but I liked the properties of the Viton and the fact that it's white....although I don't know how long it's going to stay white...:(

PKZap27

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
USA - Ohio
--snipped--

What Durometer Shore value did you choose for the O-Ring hardness?

Shore A: 60 = Medium Hard

or

Shore A: 75 = Hard

------------------------------------

Edit to add;

Never mind I looked up the part number you gave.

I see that it is a Shore A: 60 = Medium Hard O-Ring.

Thank you.

Last edited:

PKZap27

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
USA - Ohio
--snipped--

Yeah, when I first started looking on the site for O-Rings the FDA & Food Safe type O-Rings caught my eye as a choice, however most of the O-Rings that I have seen are black (Drip Tips, MAP tank, GP-SSR...) I was curious as to what material these O-Rings are made of.

Even more important in my choice for the best O-Ring was to know the Durometer Shore value for the hardness of the O-Ring.

I guessing a Shore A: 60 = Medium Hard O-Ring would be OK.

I’m still curious to find out what type of material the black O-Rings are made of, along with finding out what the Durometer Shore value is for the hardness of the black O-Rings.

Last edited:

OBeer-WAN-Kenobi

ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2011
USA
The black ones are usually buna n material which has good oil resistance but I'm not sure on the chemical resistance. To tell you the truth, this is the first time I've bought o-rings that had to be "food safe". Usually for all the normal stuff I do I get buna n, which is nitrile rubber. My "normal" stuff would be machine applications and water testers and such.

You should be able to google the Durometer values for examples of each to get an idea of the hardness.

PKZap27

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
USA - Ohio
If you choose FDA and then choose Black, the only other material that shows up is EPDM for water, steam and weather resistance. I would say that the Buna-N would be the better choice for black O-Rings.

The Viton® Fluoroelastomer material that you suggested above seems to be the best overall choice though.

Thank you.

PK

Last edited:

vaporjoey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Did u use these white orings for a map yet? Wondering how they worked out for ya...
If you use the McMaster search tool and type in orings in the left pane, the right pane will give you a list of options. I then went to the bottom of that list and picked FDA compliant. That gave me a list of food-safe stuff. I went with item # 5577K35 for my application which is Viton® Fluoroelastomer material.

There are some other food-safe materials but I liked the properties of the Viton and the fact that it's white....although I don't know how long it's going to stay white...:(

PKZap27

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
USA - Ohio
Did u use these white orings for a map yet? Wondering how they worked out for ya...

If I was going to purchase new O-Rings for my MAP tank I would go with the Viton® Fluoroelastomer type with a Shore A: 60 Medium Hardness, as I feel the Viton® Fluoroelastomer O-Ring material is a better apllication for e-cig use.

However, I just asked Bruce from Clouds of Vapor for extra O-Rings (VIA the comment section or an order) and he sent me some extra O-Rings for free with my last order.

I've also received an extra tank tube for the regular MAP tank for free when I requested one with an order for a regular MAP tank.

Last edited:

vaporjoey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Ok, sorry guys, confused again....Getting ready to order o-rings for the delrin to poly seal...I noticed the dia. size of the viton suggested is different from pk zap's suggestion....would like to use the viton material but need guidance to the right size...Help...The MAp tank has created a monster!!!LOL

I am coming up with part#5577K34 for 7/16" ID and 9/16" OD

Last edited:

PKZap27

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
USA - Ohio
Ok, sorry guys, confused again....Getting ready to order o-rings for the delrin to poly seal...I noticed the dia. size of the viton suggested is different from pk zap's suggestion....would like to use the viton material but need guidance to the right size...Help...The MAp tank has created a monster!!!LOL

I am coming up with part#5577K34 for 7/16" ID and 9/16" OD

Yes, that is it! I checked the part number 5577K34 and it is the correct size.

Here is the information again, so you can check it

I measured the O-Ring for the MAP tank and the size is; AS568A Dash Number 013.

AS568A Dash No. O-Ring Sizing Chart

Measurement are; ID: 7/16" x OD: 9/16" x Width: 1/16"

Last edited:

vaporjoey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Correct, order placed. Guess now i'm off to google best way to cut polycarb tubing....Thanks, sure i'll have plenty more questions soon. lol
Yes, that is it! I checked the part number 5577K34 and it is the correct size.

Here is the information again, so you can check it.

PKZap27

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
USA - Ohio
Correct, order placed. Guess now i'm off to google best way to cut polycarb tubing....Thanks, sure i'll have plenty more questions soon. lol

Cutting the polycarbonate tubing on a Bandsaw would be best.

However any fine tooth Hacksaw, Coping saw, or Hobby type saw should work.

Cutting the tubing in a miter box helps to keep the cut square.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread