Not open for further replies.

Frenkyou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 26, 2019
    italy
    www.svapo.it
    Review OBS Engine 100W Box mod by sourcemore:
    The mod I'm talking about today is offered with a total of 12 different color options in two different lines, one with a gunmetal frame and one with a stainless steel frame. So you can choose between two different colors of the frame and between six different colors of the resin tube of the battery. The Mod can accommodate 3 different battery types (18650, 20700, 21700). In 21700 configuration the OBS Engine asserts itself as one of the most compact Mods available on the market.
    Enjoy the reading

OBS Engine 100W Box Mod by sourcemore 1.jpg

OBS Engine 100W Box Mod; Packaging:
    The white outer sleeve shows on the front; The brand name (OBS), the name of the device (Engine 100W Mod), its image and some main features in the form of icons.

On the back under the name of this item you will find: The specifications, the content, the scratch & check, some warnings, logos and international approvals.
    Sideways on the edges of the box are present; the indication on the color of this sample (Gunmetal Ink Black) icons of the official OBS Facebook and Instagram groups, addresses and services of OBS Technology Co., LTD

OBS Engine 100W Box Mod by sourcemore 2.jpg

Packing List:
    • 1 Mod Engine 100W
    • 1 Adapter for 18650 battery
    • 1 USB Type-C cable
    • 1 Warranty Card
    • 1 user manual

OBS Engine 100W Box Mod by sourcemore 3.jpg

Dimensions and Features:
    • Mod Material: Zinc Alloy + Resin
    • Size: 90 * 37 * 27mm
    • Weight: 102g
    • Single battery: 18650/20700/21700 (not included)
    • Power range: 5-100W
    • Output voltage: 1.0-8.4V
    • Charging current: Type-C, 5V / 2A
    • Coil range: 0.1-3.0Ω
    • Display: 0.96 "LED

OBS Engine 100W Box Mod by sourcemore 4.jpg

Available Colors Gunmetal Series:
    Forest Green, Peacoock Blue, Puzzle Purple, Ruby Red, Ink Black, Carbon Fiber.

OBS Engine 100W Box Mod by sourcemore 5.jpg

SS Series Available Colors:
    Forest Green, Peacoock Blue, Puzzle Purple, Ruby Red, Ink Black, Carbon Fiber.

OBS Engine 100W Box Mod by sourcemore 6.jpg

OBS Engine 100W; First impressions:
    The wide range of colors could create some difficulties in choosing, however in my view the version I got for this Test with "Ink Black" coloring of the resin tube combined with the "gun barrel" color of the Mod, I really like as a match and I feel more than satisfied.
    I also appreciate the convenience of the knurled bottom cap that allows easy access to the compartment / battery with the possibility of simultaneously extracting the colored Sleeve for (21700) or inserting the reduced tube for 18650 inside it. Perhaps in the future they will be available (as spare parts) different decoration options for the resin sleeve.

The first idea that came to my mind was to compare the new OBS Engine 100W with the previous OBS Cube-S 80W, which I had already talked about here: OBS Cube-S Box Mod

The Cube-S 80W is a mod with 18650 battery that has had great success and that still has, perhaps because it is a handy and convenient product to buy by virtue of a low price. The Cube-S legacy has been successfully carried over to the new 100W OBS Engine which is remarkably small it can accommodate a large 21700 cell.

OBS Engine 100W Box Mod by sourcemore 7.jpg

OBS Engine 100W; Feeling:
    Overall, the OBS Engine vaguely resembles the handle of a revolver and is overall very pleasing to the eye. There are beautiful decorations without excess. OBS Engin result so handy and absolutely not too heavy (102g). The angular shapes of the front are well connected with the panels and contrast with the smooth cylindrical sleeve and with the battery compartment cap with a black knurled surface.

OBS Engine 100W Box Mod by sourcemore 8.jpg

OBS Engine 100W; Display:
    On the narrow and angular front the black screen curves towards the top and bottom of the Mod. The screen houses the Color Display, the Fire button and the "+" and "-" adjustment buttons. All the buttons are round and slightly protruding, they are easily accessible and are precise and free from annoying noises. The Display contains the following information; OBS brand, remaining battery percentage and graphic indicator, set power, wattage lock / unlock symbol (padlock), Volt, Ohm, last Puff length, Puff total counter, Puff graphic equalizer and graphic indication of the colors available for the display background.

OBS Engine 100W Box Mod by sourcemore 9.jpg

OBS Engine 100W; front / back view:
    The front is completely different in shape and appearance than the back. The front is slightly wider, with a square and angular shape, while the rear is perfectly cylindrical and features a beautiful and reflective "ENGINE" writing with metallic finishes at the top and in relief. So the part used for the handle with its round and smooth form factor of the decorated sleeve offers a completely different impact than the front.
    Overall it is a pleasant feeling to have two aspects so different from each other in one device.

OBS Engine 100W Box Mod by sourcemore 10.jpg

Frenkyou

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 26, 2019
    italy
    www.svapo.it
    OBS Engine 100W; side view:
    This image shows different levels of lines, starting from the widest and squared front part and then becoming slightly concave in the center, finally continuing with the rounded shape of the sleeve that continues from the center to the other opposite side. On the bottom panel we find the "OBS" engraved by laser and on the other side always at the bottom and in a convenient position the Type-C charging socket.

OBS Engine 100W Box Mod by sourcemore 11.jpg

OBS Engine 100W; view above and below:
    The upper part is softly connected to the front profile and the beautiful cup is placed in a central position. The cup is screwed to the mod by two French screws and is slightly raised to avoid scratches to the mod during the screwing phases of the tanks. Contains a spring loaded and gold / plated pin and can accommodate (without protrusions) atomizers with a maximum diameter of 27mm.

On the bottom of OBS Engine we find the same connection design with the front part, so the only support of the mod is guaranteed by the battery cap which is round in shape, 28mm wide and knurled on the surface for greater grip with the fingers. The disposal symbol and the C E mark are laser engraved on the cap.

OBS Engine 100W Box Mod by sourcemore 12.jpg

OBS Engine 100W; replaceable sleeve:
    At the bottom of the mod then you find the access to the battery compartment; just unscrew the cap to replace the cell. But you can also take out the entire tube for 21700 and clean the top contact if you wish, or eventually replace the sleeve with another one of different colors, provided they are available on the market in the future. To use a 18650 cell, simply insert the adapter included in the kit.

OBS Engine 100W Box Mod by sourcemore 13.jpg

OBS Engine 100W; sleeve and battery assembly:
    The image below shows the steps for changing the battery. Once the cap is tightened either using a 21700 cell or using a 18650 with included adapter, there are no abnormal noises. However, I found a defect with some 21700 batteries; that is, the outer sleeve (even tight) tends to rotate easily with the use of some longer 21700 batteries. I don't know if this is a feature desired by OBS or a defect, personally I prefer that the sleeve stays still and does not turn on itself, so I solved it by simply inserting an oring in the point indicated by the arrow in the second image. Now (for me) the tightening is perfect with any cell.

OBS Engine 100W Box Mod by sourcemore 14.jpg

OBS Engine 100W battery choice:
    When we insert a battery into the Mod, the screen displays 18650 or 21700, so we need to move with the adjustment keys to the correct choice. With an 18650 battery inserted the Mod delivers maximum 80W, while with a 21700 it reaches 100W.

OBS Engine 100W Box Mod by sourcemore 15.jpg

OBS Engine 100W; Tank choice:
    In my opinion this Mod is well suited to contain both large atomizers such as the Zeus by Geekvape or the Nex-Mesh by OFRF, however it also presents itself very well with small tanks for MTL like this Siren V4 by Digiflavor.

OBS Engine 100W Box Mod by sourcemore 16.jpg

OBS Engine 100W; Operation Guide:
    • Power On / Off: Press the button 5 consecutive times to turn the battery on and off.
    • Unlocking the setting W: Press "+" or "-" 3 consecutive times to unlock the setting.
    • Change Screen Color: Press the Fire button 3 times to select one of the six Display colors.
    • Puff Reset: Press the Fire and "-" keys simultaneously
    • To view the FW version, press the Up, Down and Fire buttons simultaneously.

Protections and notifications:
    • Short Circuit: If a short circuit occurs it will be signaled on the screen when the fire button is pressed.
    • Over Heating: If the temperature exceeds 75 ° C
    • Low Battery: Before vaping if the battery voltage is lower than 3.2V, or while vaping if the voltage is lower than 2.8V.
    • Time Over: The vape stops if the single Puff reaches or exceeds a time of 10s.
    • Check Atomizer: If this message appears, check that you have correctly inserted the atomizer.

OBS Engine 100W Box Mod by sourcemore 17.jpg

Final conclusions:
    I like OBS Engine a lot, it had a small and unique defect and as you could see I solved it brilliantly (Photo number 14), to tell the truth there would be another aspect to investigate which is the one relating to the indication of charge. ; I noticed that by inserting any battery charged to 100% the indicator shows 90% at the most. However, I did not notice a shorter duration of the charge, on the contrary the cell is very slow to discharge and is well managed from 90% to 0%.

The Mod uses a very reactive chipset that communicates with an interface that is easy to interpret even for a novice. There are few options and a nice bright display, so a good Entry Level for VW vapers.

OBS Engine pushes well even at quite high wattages, is not too heavy and works as expected even with MTL atomizers. The DC-DC storage converter (present in the Mod) with an output voltage higher than the input allows the Step-Up even with a semi-discharged battery, always guaranteeing you the necessary power.
    Thanks for reading.

You can buy the OBS Engine 100W Box Mod from Sourcemore for $ 29.99 (€ 25.35), by entering the code: OEBM
    OBS Engine Mod 100W Box Mod single 18650/20700/21700

OBS Engine 100W Box Mod by sourcemore 18.jpg

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    OBS Engine 100W; side view:
    This image shows different levels of lines, starting from the widest and squared front part and then becoming slightly concave in the center, finally continuing with the rounded shape of the sleeve that continues from the center to the other opposite side. On the bottom panel we find the "OBS" engraved by laser and on the other side always at the bottom and in a convenient position the Type-C charging socket.

View attachment 950631

OBS Engine 100W; view above and below:
    The upper part is softly connected to the front profile and the beautiful cup is placed in a central position. The cup is screwed to the mod by two French screws and is slightly raised to avoid scratches to the mod during the screwing phases of the tanks. Contains a spring loaded and gold / plated pin and can accommodate (without protrusions) atomizers with a maximum diameter of 27mm.

On the bottom of OBS Engine we find the same connection design with the front part, so the only support of the mod is guaranteed by the battery cap which is round in shape, 28mm wide and knurled on the surface for greater grip with the fingers. The disposal symbol and the C E mark are laser engraved on the cap.

View attachment 950633

OBS Engine 100W; replaceable sleeve:
    At the bottom of the mod then you find the access to the battery compartment; just unscrew the cap to replace the cell. But you can also take out the entire tube for 21700 and clean the top contact if you wish, or eventually replace the sleeve with another one of different colors, provided they are available on the market in the future. To use a 18650 cell, simply insert the adapter included in the kit.

View attachment 950635

OBS Engine 100W; sleeve and battery assembly:
    The image below shows the steps for changing the battery. Once the cap is tightened either using a 21700 cell or using a 18650 with included adapter, there are no abnormal noises. However, I found a defect with some 21700 batteries; that is, the outer sleeve (even tight) tends to rotate easily with the use of some longer 21700 batteries. I don't know if this is a feature desired by OBS or a defect, personally I prefer that the sleeve stays still and does not turn on itself, so I solved it by simply inserting an oring in the point indicated by the arrow in the second image. Now (for me) the tightening is perfect with any cell.

View attachment 950637

OBS Engine 100W battery choice:
    When we insert a battery into the Mod, the screen displays 18650 or 21700, so we need to move with the adjustment keys to the correct choice. With an 18650 battery inserted the Mod delivers maximum 80W, while with a 21700 it reaches 100W.

View attachment 950639

OBS Engine 100W; Tank choice:
    In my opinion this Mod is well suited to contain both large atomizers such as the Zeus by Geekvape or the Nex-Mesh by OFRF, however it also presents itself very well with small tanks for MTL like this Siren V4 by Digiflavor.

View attachment 950641

OBS Engine 100W; Operation Guide:
    • Power On / Off: Press the button 5 consecutive times to turn the battery on and off.
    • Unlocking the setting W: Press "+" or "-" 3 consecutive times to unlock the setting.
    • Change Screen Color: Press the Fire button 3 times to select one of the six Display colors.
    • Puff Reset: Press the Fire and "-" keys simultaneously
    • To view the FW version, press the Up, Down and Fire buttons simultaneously.

Protections and notifications:
    • Short Circuit: If a short circuit occurs it will be signaled on the screen when the fire button is pressed.
    • Over Heating: If the temperature exceeds 75 ° C
    • Low Battery: Before vaping if the battery voltage is lower than 3.2V, or while vaping if the voltage is lower than 2.8V.
    • Time Over: The vape stops if the single Puff reaches or exceeds a time of 10s.
    • Check Atomizer: If this message appears, check that you have correctly inserted the atomizer.

View attachment 950643

Final conclusions:
    I like OBS Engine a lot, it had a small and unique defect and as you could see I solved it brilliantly (Photo number 14), to tell the truth there would be another aspect to investigate which is the one relating to the indication of charge. ; I noticed that by inserting any battery charged to 100% the indicator shows 90% at the most. However, I did not notice a shorter duration of the charge, on the contrary the cell is very slow to discharge and is well managed from 90% to 0%.

The Mod uses a very reactive chipset that communicates with an interface that is easy to interpret even for a novice. There are few options and a nice bright display, so a good Entry Level for VW vapers.

OBS Engine pushes well even at quite high wattages, is not too heavy and works as expected even with MTL atomizers. The DC-DC storage converter (present in the Mod) with an output voltage higher than the input allows the Step-Up even with a semi-discharged battery, always guaranteeing you the necessary power.
    Thanks for reading.

You can buy the OBS Engine 100W Box Mod from Sourcemore for $ 29.99 (€ 25.35), by entering the code: OEBM
    OBS Engine Mod 100W Box Mod single 18650/20700/21700

View attachment 950645

Great review. I really like the looks of this one.

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    I loved reading this review. Extremely thorough. I have 4 of these mods, and the more I use them, the more I love them. I realize the firing options are quite limited in terms of not having a TC or TCR mode, but I've never felt the necessity to use any of these even with rebuildable decks. The performance in VW is the best so far of any single battery mod I've tested compatible with 21700 batteries. I'd rather have a mod that's great at 1 thing, than subpar at several.

Reactions: Frenkyou
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread