Obsessed with rebuilding rda

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjkspeaks

Apr 14, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'm addicted to rebuilding my rda. Does anyone else have this issue? I find myself rebuilding my rda several times per day, looking for that perfect setup.

Here is my newest build: (need suggestions on a better setup!)

Running at 0.22 ohms
24 gauge twisted wire
7 wraps

These coils take too long to heat up and it's frustrating! I can't wait that long to get vape! Any suggestions!?

залить картинку на форум

фотохостинг

upload

Last edited:

Tagi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2014
Dallas Texas
Wire gauge, resistance, and coil diameter can effect the ramp up time.

And then add in volts\watts your pushing to the coil if your using a regulated mod.

Yes, experimentation is always fun. At first everything is an experiment, but once you find what you like to vape all day it can slow down. I still experiment with build on a mutation X, all while vaping on my Veritas set ups.

Also note on a mech under .2 is pushing it. If you really want to build that low you will need either a dual parallel box or an IPV3

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I'm addicted to rebuilding my rda. Does anyone else have this issue? I find myself rebuilding my rda several times per day, looking for that perfect setup.

Here is my newest build: (need suggestions on a better setup!)

Running at 0.22 ohms
24 gauge twisted wire
7 wraps

These coils take too long to heat up and it's frustrating! I can't wait that long to get vape! Any suggestions!?

That build needs about 150 to 200 watts.

Kanthal A1
gauge ----- watt per ohm (per coil) for 200mW/mm2
34 ----- 1.4
32 ----- 3
30 ----- 6
28 ----- 10
26 ----- 23
24 ----- 45
22 ----- 91
20 ----- 182

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Current might be a more intuitive way of thinking about it.

gauge ----- current (Amps) for 200mW/mm2
34 ----- 1.2
32 ----- 1.7
30 ----- 2.4
28 ----- 3
26 ----- 5
24 ----- 7
22 ----- 10
20 ----- 13

this is my name

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2014
North Little Rock, AR, USA
So many peeps have told you that because the efest batteries are not 35a. They are 20a. It is a fact.

That being said, yes I find myself rebuilding more than I need to for fun. My wife thinks I'm insane or something but I just like to chuck some clouds when I get off work and get home. I like doing some twisted stuff and I think I'm gonna try a Clapton coil next.

From one tinkerer to another, please do your battery homework and BE SAFE!

Last edited:

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
<snip> it ran at like 0.18 but people here were saying it's unsafe, even tho i have a 35a 18650 which is good for 0.1 ohms.

I don't know where you are getting your information regarding battery safety and Ohm's Law. So here are a couple of points.

1. There is no 35A CDR battery. 30A CDR is the highest amp rating of any known battery. Your battery is only 20A CDR.
2. A fully charged battery is 4.2v
3. Using Ohm's Law a 0.1Ω build on a fully charged battery will need 42A (plus headroom) to run safety (not 35A).

Everyone is free to set their own parameters (with regards to headroom), and I can only say what mine are.

I try to never exceed 50% of the CDR of a battery. So with a 20A battery, that would be 10A.
This Ohm's Law Calculator tells me that a .4 ohm build is as low as I would want to use.

The reason that I place a 50% limit is because as a battery ages the mAh of the battery degrades, as the mAh degrades, so does the batteries c rating. (amp limit) So down the road, my 20A battery may only be a 10A battery.

=======

If you are new to mods and rebuildables I highly recommend you spend some time with Baditude (one of our resident battery/safety experts) and visit his blogs. Baditudes Blogs. The blogs that address battery safety, Ohm's Law, CDR (continuous discharge rating/Amps) and how they all work together are detailed below:

BATTERIES

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected ICR?
* Another essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.

Purple Efest Batteries not as Advertised
* A cautionary blog that reveals that the purple Efest batteries may not have the specifications advertised. Also includes a commentary on "continuous discharge ratings" vs "pulse discharge ratings" of battery specs.

OHM'S LAW

Ohm's Law for Dummies (Vapers)
* My attempt at explaining Ohm's Law in layman terms and how it relates to vaping.

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations
* As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept. Warning: Includes graphic photos of mod explosions.

BATTERIES - WHERE TO BUY

Only buy batteries from a reputable supplier (not ebay or Amazon) as there are many counterfeit batteries being sold. Here are several reputable battery suppliers in the US.

* RTD Vapor
* Illumination Supply
* Lighthound
* Orbtronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread