Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Good article... able to read it all....

This type of comment seems to be almost mandatory:

"Not much is known, for instance, about the long-term effects of inhaling propylene glycol (PG) and vegetable glycerin (VG)."

Something many newbies ask about here but it has actually been answered. CASAA probably has the link, I used to have it but there were medical studies done going back to 1947, updated in the 70's and about three times since on factory workers who work in factories that make PG and VG and inhale it over long term with no adverse effects.

But... because ecigarettes are relatively new, the common assumption is 'how could there be any long term studies?!?' ... but there are. Not to mention the use of PG and VG in asthma inhalers and nebulizers.... etc., etc....

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

"Not much is known, for instance, about the long-term effects of inhaling propylene glycol (PG) and vegetable glycerin (VG)."

Something many newbies ask about here but it has actually been answered. CASAA probably has the link, I used to have it but there were medical studies done going back to 1947, updated in the 70's and about three times since on factory workers who work in factories that make PG and VG and inhale it over long term with no adverse effects.

But... because ecigarettes are relatively new, the common assumption is 'how could there be any long term studies?!?' ... but there are. Not to mention the use of PG and VG in asthma inhalers and nebulizers.... etc., etc....

Yeah, but they also quote the Drexel study and the study from Oklahoma which debunks the myth that vaping leads to smoking. This is all good, in my opinion. There's more in the paper. I'm very proud of OC Register, frankly.

And they finally talked to somebody other than Stanton Glantz:
“But compared to cigarette smoking, it's much less hazardous,” said Dr. Neal Benowitz of the University of San Francisco School of Medicine. “You're better off not using anything, but if you can't stop smoking, if you switch to these e-cigarettes, from a health point of view you're much better off. ..."

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B

Fascinating thing about the ANTZ/PANTZ insistence on "long-term studies." I suppose there are two parts to that term: Studies, as in controlled clinical trials yadda yadda, so anecdotal evidence from individual vapers doesn't count; and Long-term, as in 10 or more years, I think the standard is. So vapers who've been using ecigs for 9 years and haven't died yet don't count(and it's anecdotal anyway, so yadda yadda). BUT, let an individual vaper report an *adverse effect*, and OH MY, OH YES *that* counts!

And of course we know that when long-term, properly controlled clinical trials are done and don't show any -- or minimal -- adverse effects, they too will be written off as [select one: 1) funded by tobacco or ecig industries; 2) too small; 3) not properly designed; 4) just plain biased; 5) and on and on.]

:AgentAnia takes much needed vape break:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread