Ohm meter or Digital Multi Meter???

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsMojoRisin

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
I apologize in advance if this question has been posed recently:

I am about to begin building my coils for a Kanger Mini 2 and I believe an Enigma rda. I am wondering which meter is best to measure my builds on? I believe these require two different fittings, that is mainly why I am asking, but I was also wondering pros/cons for each device ( if there is any). Any help would be appreciated, I would rather invest in something decent now than just having to buy another in a year or so. Thanks.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
And ohm reader would be the easiest to use.

Ohm Reader.jpg

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    And ohm reader would be the easiest to use.

View attachment 393455

I find that the ohm meters pictured are very temperamental. You can buy 2 of the same model and both will give different readings for the same coil. I find the multimeter is the way to go. Just remember that when you use an multimeter, you have to furst measure the resistance of the meter itself by placing the neg and pos leads from the meter together for a while. That gives you the meter's resistance. Then you can go ahead and measure the resistance of the coil. Subtract the meter's resistance from that and that will give you the coil's resistance.

Of you could use a MPV, although I have heard those are not that accurate. But I would not know.

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 16, 2014
    Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
    You really need both if you want to know exactly whats going on when things go south.

For building coils the little e-cig dedicated ohm meter (like Susan posted) is best, its small and simple and will make the work of building short proof accurate coils real easy.

But, for tracking down a short, dirty connection, or a open circuit, such as a bad intermittent switch, you`ll want a dedicated DMM with a continuity tester and ohm meter. W/ alligator clips also.

They are two different tools that make the hobby so much more fun, because you don`t have to guess at things.

R

AttyPops

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 8, 2010
    Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
    But the DMM can do all the jobs by itself. However, it helps to be "techie" so you geek on the multi-meter.

It measures ohms, sure. But it can A) check voltage of your batteries, 2) check various points too because it has "probes" instead of an atty connector. This is handy for mechs.

The "bad" part is that it doesn't have an atty connector. You don't need one to use it, but if you want you can have someone make one for use with it, or make one yourself....you "just" solder two wires on a connector. Connectors can be ripped off dead batteries or purchased from sites like MadVapes.

It really depends on if you have other uses for it, and if you geek on stuff like that. You can get one for less that $50.00 that will do the job. Tests car stuff, house wiring, whatever else too.

To each their own.

Neolithium

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 15, 2014
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    I have a multi meter, but only because I use it for checking my battery voltage as well as other electrical work so it suits multiple purposes, if you're ONLY building coils, the black ohm readers would be easiest, you can build on the thing and then just turn it on to get a reading - I'd find it very convenient for that sole purpose.

six

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2011
    under the blue sky
    I own one of those ohm checker thing-a-ma-bobs... I really like it... Yeah. It doesn't know what it's talking about to any reasonable degree of accuracy... but I use it anyway.

What I really like to use it for is a platform to build on. I screw the atty I'm rebuilding to it so it's nice and level and fairly stable and I don't feel like I need a third hand or instruction from a master juggler to get my coil legs in place... Mine *is* good enough not only to use as a build platform, but also to at least tell me if I have a short or not when I put everything all together. I find that really useful too because honestly, my coils are pretty consistent. I have a really good idea of what my ohms are without metering... I rarely see more than a couple of hundredths of an ohm difference between my coils, so I don't feel any need to rely on whatever numbers that thing displayes when an atty is on it.

However, if I'm building a dual coil, I check my ohms every single time with a DMM. Every single time, I check and double check so I know for sure I won't have any surprises when I fire those coils up the first time.

I happen to think that every single person who uses electricity for any reason should own a DMM and at least know the basics of how it operates and what it can do for them troubleshooting electrical problems. They really don't require a lot of specialized knowledge that isn't found in the instruction booklet that comes with them... I consider it to be a basic tool - and I mean really basic like a hammer, a screw driver, or a kitchen knife. Everyone should have one.

My advice, therefore: Get both. A reasonably accurate DMM can be found at hardware and automotive stores everywhere for not a whole lot of money. Ohm checker thing-a-ma-bobs seem prolific on ebay, amazon, and lots of online vape gear vendors for a few dollars.

MrsMojoRisin

Verified Member
    Nov 21, 2014
    Commonwealth of Massachusetts
    Thank you six, your response was very helpful. I had basically decided to just go with both and your response just sealed the deal, so to speak. Also, I can run to Home Depot tomorrow, grab a DMM and start building straight away, while waiting for the ohm meter I am ordering online.

Last edited:

Fictitious Character

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2014
    USA
    I use the little ohm meters like Susan posted and then I have this here for when I really want to double check my stuff. Not suggesting you go out and buy a fluke but since I already had one it does come in pretty damn handy for my purposes.Also there are some good Multi Meters out there that are reasonably priced. Will give you some peace of mind. 20141201_231609.jpg

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
    I apologize in advance if this question has been posed recently:

I am about to begin building my coils for a Kanger Mini 2 and I believe an Enigma RDA. I am wondering which meter is best to measure my builds on? I believe these require two different fittings, that is mainly why I am asking, but I was also wondering pros/cons for each device ( if there is any). Any help would be appreciated, I would rather invest in something decent now than just having to buy another in a year or so. Thanks.

What around here is called an 'ohm meter' is a 510 interface box with an ohm meter built in.

I certainly don't have one and will never spend money on one.

My vamo's and zmax can check ohms fine enough for my purposes and I have 2 multimeters.

If somebody is too poor to afford a regulated mod (all the popular regulated mods include build in ohmmeter to check your ohms), the cheapest way to vape is with a mech and a dripper, so for them, especially if they are subohming, it makes some sense to buy a ecig specific ohmmeter if it's cheap enough.

TheOdessa

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 1, 2014
    Tampa, Florida
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread