Status
Not open for further replies.

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
Some friends believe that if they vape at resistances lower than a spesific level (e.g. 0,8 ohm) they vape subohm, something that bothers them because vaping is harse, or it hits a lot the throat, or it produce big smoke when they dont want to etc.

subohm is subohm only when the wire allows you to use it as subohm. What I mean is:

A guy vapes at 1,5 ohm with a 0,25mm wire. The throat hit is good for him
Another guy vapes at 0,5 ohm with a 0,5 wire. The most possible is that hit is the same.

if the wire is fat, it requires more current to reach the same temperature. So if someone vapes on a 1mm wire, the most possible is that he will not produce any smoke or throat hit.

So, dont think that you are going too low just measuring the resistance.

The reason for this thread is that some friends believe that springomizer that allows to you to use a max resistance at 0,9 ohm drives them to use subohm when it doesnt really do that

JMBH

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2014
Madrid , Spain
I agree too.... Thats why i would like a thiner and higher resistance wire for the springomizer , since I only use GG and don't use any of the variable watts modules . Just mechanicals with 3,7 batteries .
Hope vir comes soon thought , at least for my esterigon.....

JMBH

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2014
Madrid , Spain
Explaining my self better .. The way I vape, 5 to 8 watts maximum , so if i'm vaping with a GG mod (mechanical off course), penny V3-V4 and tilemahos V1, with AW IMR 3,7 bat. I have to be concerned of the value of the resistance . My set up is with ESG Ti 0,20 mm. wire at 2.2 ohm ( on load ) . perfect for my taste and very good bat. performance.

Reactions: steliosss

NandyDC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2009
San Juan, PR
I remember when we all were happy vaping atomizers 901 at 3.2 ohms or 510 at 2.5 ohms. The so called low resistance still doesn't existed. Liquids and batts last for ever. But we were all happy.

Now I would be happy If I can achieve that with the Tile and Springomizer. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
I think that you can do that Nandy :)

ok, the wires that we were using these days were 0,1-0,15mm and at about 3 ohm as you said. But because they were thin, they got fired easily. Now in springomizer we use 0,35 wire at 1/3 of the resistance we used in old days.

As you see, we triple the width of the wire and we made the resistance at 1/3 of the old one. Analogy seems right but its not because the 3 times fatter wire doesnt not have 3 times bigger area but more. That means that vaping is softer than old days!

The battery last less today because of the smaller resistance but batteries are bigger now, so they last as much as in older days.

As you see, nothing changed in reality. People think that something is going on but nothing is going on, except of the ability to make smaller resistances for different hit and smoke.

As for watts, imagine a mech mod (they can handle too much power), with 2x18350 batteries in series and a 0,1 ohm resistance. If we do the maths and keep in mind the voltage drop, we can go up to 500 watts just for fun, without carrying big-fat-heavy mods. A GG4S for example is more than enough

Reactions: NandyDC

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
Everything said here is correct.

But i want to clarify something.

Higher watts (and lower ohms) are here because people wanted to use thicker wires, why? Because people wanted more surface. The temperature will be the same as you all said but the quantity of liquid evaporated per second will be a lot more. And why exactly do people want that? (I'm one of them, I vape at 0.3 ohms)

I'll tell you why, it's all because of personal preference.

A very simple example: do you know these effervescent tablets for headaches like panadol or aspirin? You can put one tablet in 50 ml of water or 1 liter of water.

After you drink it you got all the medicine you needed, but you do it differently.

I found myself preferring a big amount of vapor per hit that has very small amount of nicotine to be taken continuously during the day instead of one small shot of vapor with higher nic.

So it's just a preference guys, there is no right or wrong. It's true I burn more liquid and I finish batteries faster, but who cares, does it really matter? I enjoy it :D

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
Everything said here is correct.

But i want to clarify something.

Higher watts (and lower ohms) are here because people wanted to use thicker wires, why? Because people wanted more surface. The temperature will be the same as you all said but the quantity of liquid evaporated per second will be a lot more. And why exactly do people want that? (I'm one of them, I vape at 0.3 ohms)

I'll tell you why, it's all because of personal preference.

A very simple example: do you know these effervescent tablets for headaches like panadol or aspirin? You can put one tablet in 50 ml of water or 1 liter of water.

After you drink it you got all the medicine you needed, but you do it differently.

I found myself preferring a big amount of vapor per hit that has very small amount of nicotine to be taken continuously during the day instead of one small shot of vapor with higher nic.

So it's just a preference guys, there is no right or wrong. It's true I burn more liquid and I finish batteries faster, but who cares, does it really matter? I enjoy it :D

I can tell you what is really going on and then you can choose Aal :)

surface vs battery life with an example: A guy makes a coil with a 0,3 wire and the distance between threads is 0,3mm, so half of the wick is covered.
Another guy makes a coil with a 0,6mm wire and the distance between coils is 0,3 again because thats the ability of its eyes and also because we have to measure same things. At this point, he has covered 2/3 of the wick, so 30% more wick, so 30% more vapor.

Now the battery life: Its reduced at 75% ! That means that you need 4 batteries to have the same vaping time, so a huge and very heavy mod! But if you dont care about battery life, then why dont you get a small-thin-light mod instead of carrying huge and heavy things in your pocket? Smaller battery life but huge effect on weight and size :)

Last edited:

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
Besides what Aal_ said there's also the issue of getting older and losing eye-hand-cordination.
Making coils with thicker wire is simply easier for us unlucky enough to not be so nimble we used to.:D

if your eyes are not very good then the distance between wires has to be bigger too, so your results will be not good again because you will not cover a lot of wick buddy :)

The solutions? I have 2 of them: The first one is springomizer. You dont care about your eyes!
The second solution is a flat wire. That way you keep the area of the wire at the right level but the vaping area is huge.

Either of the above solutions will keep batteries alive as usual and the vapor bigger than usual. So a huge - fat - heavy - expensive mod will produce same smoke and it will last you for the same time as a thin - light - inexpensive mod :)

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
Another serious thing: Watts

Watts are nothing special. In fact its a myth. Why? Because 3 people can vape at same watts and they will have different results.

1st guy: 25 watts with a 0,5 wire at 0,5 ohm
2nd guy: 25 watts with a 0,3 wire at 0,5 ohm
3rd guy: 25 watts with any wire at 1,2 ohm.

The first guy vapes on a fat wire and watts cant warm the wire
The second guy vapes on a thinner wire and watts are enough
The third guy vapes at a wire with high resistance, so amperes are not enough to warm the wire.

Now, what is the unit that warms the wire? Amperes. Not watts, not voltage. Just amperes. Thats why electricity companies carry the current via fat wires at high voltage and low amperes. That way they dont have loss of power and also wires dont get hot.

So, the conclusion for best vaping performance is: Use wires up to 0,35 mm, make a resistance at 0,6 ohms or above on mechs to avoid burn taste, same on VV-VW devices and as small as your device supports on temp control devices

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread