Ohms meter question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyboy66

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2015
Maryland
I'm getting ready to start my own coil builds and I know I need to get an ohms meter. I've shopped quite a few sites and seem to be coming up with basically the same meter wherever I look. Reading the specs, unless not stated at all, the error variance is +/-0.4 ohms..... What? Is this right?
That's a huge variance ! Am I reading something wrong? Am I shopping the wrong sites.
Where does one get an accurate meter for a decent price?
Please help!
P.S.
I wouldn't guess my istick readout is particularly accurate, is it ?
Thanks

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
The istick can be a little out, but you can build a picture of whether it is high or low. My 1.2ohm coils read 1.3. My 1.8ohms read 2.0.

I bought a budget multi meter for £2.99. It was on sale in plenty of places for £10 or more. Stupid internet....

It is accurate though, I just need to subtract 1.0ohm exactly for the probes.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
I need to get an ohms meter. Reading the specs, unless not stated at all, the error variance is +/-0.4 ohms..... What? Is this right? Yes.
That's a huge variance ! Am I reading something wrong? Am I shopping the wrong sites. Yes.
Where does one get an accurate meter for a decent price?That may depend on your definition of "decent"... see below.
USA Ohm Meters

dhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2014
Georgia
I picked up an Eleaf ohm meter for about $9 somewhere. It isn't the most accurate because it is usually about .1 ohm high. It still works for me because the coils I make are around 1.0 to 1.3 so the variance is negligible to me. If you are planning on building down around .1 to .2 ohms, spend the money on something much more accurate. Like the USA ohm meters State O' Flux pointed to. You'll need to be as accurate as possible at that range and those are.

mosspa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2014
Bonita Springs, FL, USA
I'm getting ready to start my own coil builds and I know I need to get an ohms meter. I've shopped quite a few sites and seem to be coming up with basically the same meter wherever I look. Reading the specs, unless not stated at all, the error variance is +/-0.4 ohms..... What? Is this right?
That's a huge variance ! Am I reading something wrong? Am I shopping the wrong sites.
Where does one get an accurate meter for a decent price?
Please help!
P.S.
I wouldn't guess my istick readout is particularly accurate, is it ?
Thanks

Here you go: Low Ohm Meter - Measures 0.001 up to 1.999 Ohm

If you have interest enough to build your own coils, why not build your own Ohm meter. Including the display and a box to put this in it can be built for about US$18.00. Obviously, it would be ideal for what you want/need to measure.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread