One year today...some observations and comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nwit

ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2009
Today is my one year anniversary as a non-smoker. I smoked for 55 years and when I started vaping I was smoking a carton of cigarettes each and every week. As you can see below I have avoided 11,000 or so cigarettes in the past 365 days.

Imagine starting a New Year sitting behind a table with 11,000 cigarettes in front of you knowing that you will smoke each and every one. It sounds like mission impossible but that in effect is what I did each year and millions of folks still face that daunting task this week.

I would like to challenge the V4L staff to take a look at the first page of your site. But look through the eyes of someone brand new to vaping. Perhaps through the eyes of someone who has received one of your business cards. How can you make it easier for a newbie to make the choices that a new vaper must make.

Automatic vs manual: should there be an explanation of the difference?

What nicotine level should I start with?

VG or PG (I don't see a reference to PG)?

Y'all can add your own questions.

Perhaps the page could have a box saying something like "New to vaping? Start here."

I have given out all of the cards that V4L have sent me and I wonder just how effective that is when there is no "starting point for new people."

Random thoughts:

Three things have to happen for the conversion to vaping to be successful.

1. You must find/stumble on the right equipment.
2. You must find the right nicotine level for you.
3. You must find the right flavor for you.

With all of the choices available the above is not easy.

A number of people that express an interest are not ready to put forth the effort that is required to make the conversion.

A number of people think that someone who vapes is just trading one addiction for another and no amount of explanation will change their minds.

I just love the ones who chastise me for not having the strength/will to just go "cold turkey" as they did.

Enough of my ranting.....let me hear if you have anything to add.

I want to finish by thanking V4L and their staff for helping to make this last year and all of my future years "Smoke Free."

Adrenalynn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2009
Sacramento, CA, USA Area
Congrats! And I agree. It was daunting for me first starting out! I did a lot of research.

And just being the NumbersChick here:

If you smoked 100mm long cigarettes - you could line those 11,000 up end-to-end from San Francisco to Los Angeles ... AND BACK.

You could very nearly line them up end-to-end down the entire length of California, only a little shy.

And again coming up a few percent short - you could line them up from Chicago to New York - if they were "120's", you'd easily make it.

How's that for mind-blowing?!?! Underscores just how huge your accomplishment is, doesn't it?

jeffree

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2010
california
My heartiest congrats, Nwit! I'm just a couple of weeks behind you, and as former a pack-a-dayer myself, I totally understand the achievement. Way to go, man! Your family's the big winner, too, of course.

Your thoughtful post is spot on. I'd only add that a couple of all-complete starter packs, including a range of pre-selected sampler packs (variety of best-selling flavs and maybe several nic levels), would really help newbs pull the lever. And we all want more of that! :2cool:

Sallyem

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2010
California
Congratulations, NWit. I smoked for 50 years, and many of those years at two packs a day. I
waitied too long to finally quit, but I thank God and V4L for still being here. I am trying to get
my daughter and son-in-law to quit before it is too late. There is something in our
"smoker's" brain that convinces us that we can quit whenever we want to....someday.
I am glad you were able to quit and proud of you for your accomplishment.

Your ideas regarding new vapers and the V4L website make a lot of sense. I'm sure Steve,
Mark, and the gang appreciate your input.

SnowDragon

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Boise, Idaho
Nwit, big time congrats on your 1 year anniversary...that's awesome! You certainly have noted quite a few very insightful observations to help others make a smooth transition.

It really caught my eye when you noted, "A number of people that express an interest are not ready to put forth the effort that is required to make the conversion." that is so very true.

I've found that if somebody I know is truly ready, they will seek me out. The first thing I do is give them a week to look over reference material (ECF links) for insight. I walk them through their first order and after their order arrives I check in with them frequently the first couple of weeks. I truly believe that their first impression will dictate their success or not.

Now I don't claim to be a numbers guy, but I'm pretty sure that 100mm is about 4 inches, so that roughly equates to 44,000 inches and there are 63,360 inches in 1 mile. S.F. to L.A. is roughly 400 miles depending on which route one takes or a roundtrip of approx. 800 miles.

800 miles = 50,688,000 inches or the equivalent of lining up approx. 12,672,000 100mm cigarettes.

In any case 11,000 is a crapload of smokes to avoid and I couldn't be happier for you! :2cool:

Last edited:

Adrenalynn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2009
Sacramento, CA, USA Area
Did I run my numbers backwards? That'd suck. Let me check...

11000 * 100mm = 1,100,000mm / 10 = 110,000 cm / 100 = 1100m =1.1km.

Yeah, I'm an idiot. I shouldn't have gotten so excited. ;) I divided by 10 across the board instead of my hundred to get from cm to m and again up the board. I'd have been less embarassed if I'd just pasted "1,100,00mm to km" into google.

Sigh. Mea Culpa. Mea Maxima Culpa. Good catch, Snow, thanks!.

Maxwell_Edison

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Ohio
beatlesnumber9.com
Out of 66,000 banner impression and 344 clicks, I've only sold 2 kits in the short time I've been an affiliate. The website has to sell the product and you make a lot of valid points about productive changes. Someone new to vaping is most likely lost by the terms and what flavor and mg to buy. I am working on a webpage to add to my site to presell the product before they click the banner, but once they click the banner I hope the new website will lay out exactly what a new person needs to know to buy their first starter kit.

Unfortunately they can't talk much about the health benefits without the FDA jumping on them. This is really a shame. Did you know PG and water vapor is pumped into some hospitals (including children's hospitals) to kill virus's and germs? The disinformation gets out, the truth doesn't.

Last edited:

dohsma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2009
WI, USA
Out of 66,000 banner impression and 344 clicks, I've only sold 2 kits in the short time I've been an affiliate. The website has to sell the product and you make a lot of valid points about productive changes. Someone new to vaping is most likely lost by the terms and what flavor and mg to buy. I am working on a webpage to add to my site to presell the product before they click the banner, but once they click the banner I hope the new website will lay out exactly what a new person needs to know to buy their first starter kit.

Unfortunately they can't talk much about the health benefits without the FDA jumping on them. This is really a shame. Did you know PG and water vapor is pumped into some hospitals (including children's hospitals) to kill virus's and germs? The disinformation gets out, the truth doesn't.

One of the big things I will be looking for once we launch the new site is feedback from customers for what info is necessary being a new user. I have quite a bit of content already, but we will always be looking to improve and refine it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread