Opinions on New Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

252chevyboyz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Rocky Mount, NC
@QcVaper my RX200 kicks me out of temp mode within the first hit or two. Even set as low as 40w pre heat with 200°F as the peak. It does great in power mode though.

@Letitia a DNA is in store for me so I can experiment with TC. I think it will nice to be able to customize the software on almost every aspect.

@suprtrkr thank you for the welcome. I to think I am suffering from shinyitus now that I'm getting back into the regulated world haha. I agree though there are so many mods out and they keep coming out at a steady pace which I think is great for the vape community. It shows a promising future for the community. Really think DNA is going to be my best choice wanting to experiment with TC. Was looking at some of the YiHi chip mods and they are tempting especially with the price point. Make a good point on the 2 mods plus another rta. More things to play with. I still have a my vaporshark DNA 30 and it serves me really well. Just needs a battery replacement. That is something I got to do in the near future is send it in to be serviced.

@gofishtx is the 510 a press fit or does it have a way to lock it into place? The only problem I'm having with the RX200 is the resistance jumps around. I'm glad y'all came through the storm ok. My prayers have been with the ones that have lost everything. I hope the power will be restored to the grocery stores so they restock everything for y'all. When a hurricane is forecasted to make landfall here in East NC I always stock up a few packs of ramen noodles since they are so versatile in preparing different foods. That and plenty of water are a must among many other things. Sometimes the drive to find the small things that you and the family enjoy can be with it for morale.

@Eskie the DNA chip is sounding more and more appealing. I am liking the the reviews on the regular 75 chip. I don't really need all the bells and whistles of the 75c. How do you think the battery life on the Therion 75 would be running at 40-50w? I don't mind paying the price for the Therion over the Hcigar/Think Vape if the quality is there to last for tests to come. I'll be taking a look at the G Class though.

@Acer50 makes a lot more sense now that I have watched a video or two. Have you found any negatives with them?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
A standard Therion 75 will do just fine with 40-50W. Should get you through a whole day, depending how much you vape (20 ml in 4 hours will go trough batteries awfully fast). The 75c incorporates many of the eScribe features on the mod itself. If you don't mind using eScribe (I don't) and not hyped for on the color and fancy custom UIs the standard is great. The price should also be very good. Do realize the Therion 75 has an efficiency of about 85%, a 166/250 board is >95%. See what the prices are and decide from there. Regardless, the performance with 316L is outstanding.

As to the G class, is about double the price of a standard Therion.

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
@gofishtx is the 510 a press fit or does it have a way to lock it into place? The only problem I'm having with the RX200 is the resistance jumps around. I'm glad y'all came through the storm ok. My prayers have been with the ones that have lost everything. I hope the power will be restored to the grocery stores so they restock everything for y'all. When a hurricane is forecasted to make landfall here in East NC I always stock up a few packs of ramen noodles since they are so versatile in preparing different foods. That and plenty of water are a must among many other things. Sometimes the drive to find the small things that you and the family enjoy can be with it for morale.

It could be press fit, Its hard to tell, but the 510 seems pretty sturdy. I thought at 1st that my Ijoy Captain RTA wasn't going to fit, but it's because the spring under the 510 is really stiff. Really made a lot better than the RX200. I bought 3 new mods at the same time after a couple of other devices failed and I find myself using the IJoy Captain and the Battlestar most. I like the Smoant Charon but it is sitting in the corner like a stepchild until I get the tank I ordered for it. The Captain's 510 appears to be locked on. I see you were also considering devices with the Yihi board. I love the Yihi boards but would advise against anything from Pioneer for You as their build quality has suffered greatly since the IPV3 days
We had plenty of water and food to get us thru the storm, but days after we found ourselves craving fresh fruit and veggies and though we don't drink a lot of soda we wanted some of that too. Luckily our local grocer got some fresh produce and cokes in yesterday, but still no Dr. Peppers:( I think what I am missing most is the mail getting back to normal. I have vape mail that is still on hold due to "reg. weather delay", at least that's what it says on USPS. I received some items, but still waiting for 3 new RTAS some wire and the Pico kit I ordered for my cousin.
Well enjoy whatever you choose and if you can buy 2. Always pays to have back-ups for your back-ups

252chevyboyz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Rocky Mount, NC
So I pulled the trigger on the Therion DNA 75 this morning. I figured being dual battery and with them run in parallel I should be able to get at least a work day off of it which would be 10-11hrs on a normal day. On my Serpent SMM I am going through between 15-20ml while working and when I'm at the house I am going through about 5ml an hour.

@Eskie if I really do like this DNA 75 I think I might look into a 166+ watt board. Didn't want to dive too far in at first. I am use to working with Linux software so I don't think escribe should be too much of a problem. Do you have a link or mind educating me on the 85% efficiency part of the DNA 75 board? Also I looked at the G class mods on that is about all I could do is look haha

@gofishtx I looked at the IJoy Captian mod and it might be a impulse buy down the road when the shinyitus kicks in haha. I like the looks and how everything is laid out on it. I appreciate the tip on the Pioneer mods. Glad y'all are getting some fresh produce in and some of the small delights of life are being back stocked. I hope that nothing got damaged in a post office anywhere. At least if you have any juice it will steeped once it gets to you though. I got my RX 200 for a backup now but the Captian might be my back up for my back up in the near future. Got to get my vaporshark DNA 30 sent back to them to get a battery. Might wait until Hurricane Irma has disappeared before I do that though.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
@Eskie if I really do like this DNA 75 I think I might look into a 166+ watt board. Didn't want to dive too far in at first. I am use to working with Linux software so I don't think escribe should be too much of a problem. Do you have a link or mind educating me on the 85% efficiency part of the DNA 75 board? Also I looked at the G class mods on that is about all I could do is look haha

I think you'll be very happy with the 75 with an SMM on top, one of my favorite tanks right now. The importance of board efficiency is current drain. Power is calculated differently than a mech using Ohms law. To figure out your load it's W/V(usually cutoff voltage)+(usually) 10% of efficiency=Amps. The higher the efficiency, the less load on the batteries. A quick and dirty method of calculating is a 20A battery will be good up to ~60W. With a less efficient board maybe 55W. Obviously the more batteries in series, the higher the available voltage and the higher wattage supported.

Having said that, with a single 316L coil in an SMM (even with larger like a fused Clapton which I do) you're not going to being power limited by the DNA 75. If you were using a dual high mass coil in a big chamber it would be nice to have the ability to set a higher preheat so you're not waiting in the to warm up like 100W for 1 sec, then back down to well less than that. An advantage of eScribe is Device Monitor which lets you see what your settings are doing, so it's easy to dial in a profile exactly as you like it.

252chevyboyz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Rocky Mount, NC
Got some vape mail when I came back to the house on lunch break today. Won't really be able to play around on it until this evening but looking forward to it. Does anyone know if the 75C board has a stealth mode?
8eede3149263f26f9e0155358d0eb955.jpg
219d259c0ac96be032a8c957f5809b82.jpg
baa5460ceeb547e62b4c78f0f54a287d.jpg

252chevyboyz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Rocky Mount, NC
I was playing around in escribe this evening setting up Djlsb Vapes' SS 316L profile since the temp control is supposed to be more accurate. I found the stealth mode setting inside escribe. It just didn't come stock on the device and has to be turned off/on from inside escribe unless you run Djlsb's theme with it built in

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I was playing around in escribe this evening setting up Djlsb Vapes' SS 316L profile since the temp control is supposed to be more accurate. I found the stealth mode setting inside escribe. It just didn't come stock on the device and has to be turned off/on from inside escribe unless you run Djlsb's theme with it built in

Yeah, the strengths of the c board is the depth of control you can create with themes, way more than just the screen appearance.The non-c versions offer a great deal of control, but without the depth you can create with theme generator on the c board. Instead most stuff goes through eScribe only.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
Assuming the basic commands are the same on the 75C, lock the fire button, and then hold fire+down to enter stealth mode. Hope that works - gotta think stealth mode will help with battery life on that big fancy screen.

Also, Steam Engine hasn't been updated yet with DNA75C presets yet, but take note that the 75 has a "sweet spot" with builds around 0.36 ohms. Might be a good place to start in terms of finding the best battery life for an all-day run. The difference in battery life as little as 0.1 lower or higher than the ideal and my batteries just gut themselves on my Therion BF (DNA75, single 18650).

Reactions: stols001

252chevyboyz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Rocky Mount, NC
@Eskie @VictorViper I got a lot of learning left to do with escribe and creating material profiles along with themes. I was also thinking the bigger screen may effect battery life. I didn't know about the sweet spot on the regular 75 board. Any ETA on steam engine being updated? I will have to catch up on the uses of steam engine also. Right now I am running a fused clapton with 30gx3 for the core wrapped with 38g. 3mm wrapped 5 times came out to .29 on the device. I am only having to switch batteries out each morning and even then they are only ~40%. Running it at 40w with the temp set at 390°

@Letitia thank you. I think I will be happy with this one for some time to come

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
@Eskie @VictorViper I got a lot of learning left to do with escribe and creating material profiles along with themes. I was also thinking the bigger screen may effect battery life. I didn't know about the sweet spot on the regular 75 board. Any ETA on steam engine being updated? I will have to catch up on the uses of steam engine also. Right now I am running a fused clapton with 30gx3 for the core wrapped with 38g. 3mm wrapped 5 times came out to .29 on the device. I am only having to switch batteries out each morning and even then they are only ~40%. Running it at 40w with the temp set at 390°

@Letitia thank you. I think I will be happy with this one for some time to come

Sounds like you hit a nice point with that fused Clapton. I usually used 2 core Claptons and come in pretty much where you are at 40W but generally ~430-450F. Nice battery life like that too. The 30G core may be fine as is, but I usually find a bit of a higher preheat for maybe a second is helpful getting to temp quickly.

One of the strengths is to run your mod while plugged into eScribe's Device Monitor. You can see exactly what your power and temps are doing and tweak if needed. As for battery life with the screen I think (may be wrong) is an OLED, which requires less power than a standard LCD. Either way you're getting excellent battery life with it.

252chevyboyz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Rocky Mount, NC
This evening once I get off work I will see if I can get a screen shot of the device monitor with the live feed info. I got some twisted claptons with 26gx3 wrapped with 36g to try out sometime in the near future. Really liking the 30gx3/38g so far though. Next to no ramp up time at 40w with a nice steady vape. Very pleased with the mod so far. Do you know if there is a way to pause the live feed inside of escribe once it's recorded a cycle?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
This evening once I get off work I will see if I can get a screen shot of the device monitor with the live feed info. I got some twisted claptons with 26gx3 wrapped with 36g to try out sometime in the near future. Really liking the 30gx3/38g so far though. Next to no ramp up time at 40w with a nice steady vape. Very pleased with the mod so far. Do you know if there is a way to pause the live feed inside of escribe once it's recorded a cycle?

There's a start stop button in Device Monitor, looks like record/pause button on the lower right of the screen.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
@Eskie thank you just figured everything out on how to work the device monitor. I will post up a screen shot below.

Wattage: 40w
Temp: 415°F
Batteries: just off the charger
Build: .27 fused clapton
Wire type: SS 316

416b38fc262da5590ced03a4cedbc97d.jpg

Looks like you're getting a nice even vape at 415F. My only suggestion which is purely a personal preference is to bring preheat up at bit, maybe 50-60W for 1 second. It'll get you to 415F a little faster.

Reactions: Letitia
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread