Orchid pod system

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
The elephant in the room is that a reviewer cannot credibly claim to be unbiased if he receives the equipment as a gift from the supplier, even if he is unpaid, even if they forbid him (*wink wink*) from reselling it. If the reviewer is beholden to the supplier it's a conflict of interest. And as with all conflicts of interest, perception is all that matters.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
vaping" data-source="post: 21889921" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Sorry I really don't understand your point.
Maybe it's a language barrier, but sounds like he's either accusing you of accepting $200-$500 per (maybe not dollars?), or saying that's the going price for reviewers to receive from mfg. per device reviewed.

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
So my question to you is: what type of e-liquid are you using?

The Orchid pods - the good ones I have - don't work well with high VG e-liquids.
Yes, I agree a higher VG wicks slower and more chance of the cotton going dry. I use a 60/40 VG/PG.
I'm on my 3rd pod now and the dry hits continues. After say 3 pulls I can taste it going dry. Once that coil has burned the taste stays through the duration of the coil.
For me its all about the poor design. Mesh needs to be secured firmly (press fitted or by other means) so it makes proper and positive contact with the cotton. This is merely wrapped around and "nestled" into the chamber. As a consequence the chance of a small gap between coil and cotton is always there....

Reactions: RayofLight62

stratus.vaping

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2018
UK & much further East.
The elephant in the room is that a reviewer cannot credibly claim to be unbiased if he receives the equipment as a gift from the supplier, even if he is unpaid, even if they forbid him (*wink wink*) from reselling it. If the reviewer is beholden to the supplier it's a conflict of interest. And as with all conflicts of interest, perception is all that matters.

I'm sure that's true for some. Personally I don't give a damn if I upset a manufacturer.

Reactions: GOMuniEsq

stratus.vaping

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2018
UK & much further East.
Maybe it's a language barrier, but sounds like he's either accusing you of accepting $200-$500 per (maybe not dollars?), or saying that's the going price for reviewers to receive from mfg. per device reviewed.

OFC I know that, I'd just like to know exactly what he is saying, if he is accusing me of lying I would be somewhat upset 8)

There is no "going rate" btw.

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
I removed the pod from the wrong side (opposite to the drip tip) and the black plastic cradle which holds the pod in place, did break.

I used a drop of cianoacrylate glue to stick the broken piece to the inner device casing, and the mend is holding well so far. But, in doing so, the device innards are no longer accessible.

The brief instruction manual do warn about removing the pod from a specific side, but I wasn't especting it to be so literal.

I developed a method to rewick the Orchid pods, using cellucotton (rayon) the wicking of VG-only eliquids improves dramatically.

But. In these days and times, the certosine dedication of the early days has become an anachronism, with so many alternatives available.

The Orchid device is a very good piece of engineering, while their pods hasn't past the test of time in my opinion; those pods are the best effort of somebody whose's job isn't making vape pods.

As said elsewhere, it would be nice to have the possibility of sticking a Frenzy pod on the Orchid device. But they went willingfully for a total incompatibility - so I am using the Frenzy as companion vape, had to sacrifice the likeability of the Orchid for operability of the Frenzy.
Sad.
15619633611692168020053164660289.jpg

Reactions: Fredman1

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
LoL its soooo easy. I was thinking of using cotton strips a few days ago but thought that wouldn't work.
Yeah I rolled thin Rayon strips in there and stuck the mouth piece barrel over it...took of about 3 minutes :D. I wet the cotton. It works easier. Wicks well with no dry hits. Some spit back, but I think with some refining it can work quite well.

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
The rewicking didn't go to plan for me either. Started leaking at the bottom contact soon after. It might actually be my fault. Maybe I over worked it while wicking it...don't know. Not going to bother with further building. It's not really worth the effort for this.
Anyway I finally got success with the 5 th pod. Went through the whole one without a dry hit. Battery lasted about 3/4 of the pod (on 3.6V).
Yeah the flavor isn't bad. About the same as the Orion. Because of the hype from the utube reviewers over it, I thought i'll get it to replace the Orion. The Orion being power limited don't 100% do it for me. Turns out i'll stay with the Orion...not buying any more pods for this hit and miss Orchid.
I'll keep the mod part...maybe the next generation pods are real pods...who knows.

BNEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
I'm getting really impressive life out of these pods, and it's a good thing: literally half of the replacements I just bought don't fit!!

They finally released black replacements pods so I ordered up 6, and 3 of the six fit so badly that they fall off from their own weight when you turn it upside down! (the other 3 fit great) I cut some small pieces of tape and stuck them on each end which worked great, but damn! I sent an email to my vendor to let them know Orchid sent them some bad pods, and they gave me store credit equal to the cost of 3 pods. So that's cool, especially because I didn't ask for anything.

...I can't wait until Purge gets their act together on the Ally! They've promised it'll be out next week...again:rolleyes:

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
Yesterday the plastic retainer of my second Orchid broke while I was trying to fit a new pod that was too large.
As I now need two brackets (or retainer, or cradle as I may name it), I tried to write to Orchid e-mail, but I get a reply from Google servers that the address doesn't exist.
I will now try with the dealer, but I'm really (blip) off because this Orchid thing - which started as the King of all Pods - has ended with a net loss and a big upset.

Maybe it would be wise to wait few weeks; I now I'm after pods with replaceable coils only - but most dealers in the UK aren't stocking spare pods for the newer devices - can't honestly understand what's going on.

I'm now looking at the latest "Asvape micro pod kit" with VW, slide panel/hidden display (a-la-billet-box) and replaceable coils, but the UK dealer has no spare pods.

To date the best pod system overall is still the Frenzy, the cheapest of them all.

Yes I'll wait.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread