Ordered my first "Pod"/OVNS W01: How strong mg/ml should I make my juice? (DiYer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taberu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2016
I ordered a pair of the new OVNS W01 (similar to the Juul or other pods; but refillable).

It is only 1.8ohm, so I know it'll be a bit weak and might require a stronger liquid for satisfaction and hit. I mainly bought it for the small and compact form factor and they're for my parents. They too vape 3mg like me, from a real mod though. But, they don't like bulky mods.

Me: I am used to and very content with using only 3mg/ml juice with a 0.5ohm coil. I use a mech mod (KF V5 + SMPL... clones). I have been using this same strength of juice and the same strength 0.5ohm coil/mod setup since 2016 with no complaints (perfectly happy with it).

Just wondering what strength juice I should make that'll satisfy me with the much weaker 1.8ohm pod system. I've never had a "pod" system before nor ever used a 1.8ohm coil.

I know Juul has 3% and 5% (30mg/ml and 50mg/ml). Wow, that sounds a bit too strong for me maybe (even with a weaker 1.8ohm coil); but I know it's meant for smokers wanting to quit. I was thinking maybe trying to make small 10ml batches of 12mg and 18mg, maybe even 24mg.

What do you guys and gals think?

Any help appreciated.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The juul is basically a regular ol mtl atty. just a physically small one. The kayfun v5 is generally considered a MTL atty but can be pushed into restricted DL .5ohm could be either MTL or DL though.
if you vape 3mg/ml in a DL device you probably want something like 6-10mg/ml. If you vape 3mg/ml in a MTL device you probably want 3mg/ml.
YMMV though. What strength you prefer is going to be hard to predict.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
@Taberu, I have the JC01 by OVNS that uses the same cartridges. I bought it as a stealth device for when my regular full sized mod was a bit too conspicuous. Routinely, in my normal mod, I vape 18mg/mL(freebase) in a single coil MTL tootle puffer setup.

I have the 0.7ohm pods, instead of the 1.8ohm. So, I am not sure how my experience is likely to compare to yours.

At any rate; I am currently using 50mg/mL (nic salt) in the JC01, and I find it rather weak. I have to take 3-4 back-to-back puffs, in order to get a satisfying hit. This could be because the e-liquid is a 30PG/70VG ratio and may be too thick to adequately flow (though I have never noticed even a suggestion of a burnt hit). And, flavor is quite weak. This could also be due to an extremely tight/limited airflow.

When I get around to trying to DIY for this; I intend to mix 60PG/40VG, and increase my recipe flavor profile by 20% (of norm), and doubling my usual 18mg/mL freebase nic. I half expect to need to go even higher.

The pods do fill easily, and they seem to last a long time (I am still on my original, but I have refilled it at least 6 times).

• Informative
Reactions: bombastinator

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I see the JC01 pods are Ceramic, and the new W01 pods are standard cotton with wire coil. I wonder if they are a bit different.
Informative video; thanks for sharing. I really wasn't wanting the ceramic pods but it was all my B&M had in stock at the time. The video is encouraging.
Just whipped up some 10ml testers - 6, 12, 18 and 24 mg/ml.
Should be well-steeped once I receive them W01 kits (FT doesn't ship them for about another 3 weeks though).
I hope you will come back to this thread and share your findings. I am eager to hear what works for you. :)

Reactions: Taberu

Taberu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2016
I just saw that Eleaf has a new pod system too, the Elven.

I might cancel my OVNS W01 order and get these instead.

Same 100mm length and similar light weight, but slightly thicker.
However, the Elven has much more juice capacity, a slightly stronger coil, bigger battery, Pod packs come in 4 (instead of 3 pack OVNS W01) and Eleaf is a much older, experienced and reputable company that knows what they're doing. And random brick&mortar stores are much more likely to carry replacement pods vs Ovns pods... since everyone carries Eleaf products.

• Agree
Reactions: Foggy Road

Taberu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2016
Saw Smok has an even nicer new pod system, the Mico.

Ended up also cancelling my Elven order for the Mico.
I guess I cancelled twice already, lol - first the OVNS W01, then the Elven.

Biggest thing that attracts me to the Mico is the stronger 0.8ohm coil. With that, I can still use the same 3mg liquid and don't need to mess with crazy stronger liquids.
Also, the bigger 700mah battery doesn't hurt.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
@Taberu Or even try the Pal aio by artery....

Pod Kits : Artery PAL AIO II Kit 1000mAh (Tony B Project) UK

These have interchangeable coils 0.6 ohm and 1.2 ohm. And just to give you an idea I vape sub ohm 0.15 at 18mg/ml and I'm currently vaping salt nic in my pod at 36mg/ml. Thought you might be able to judge what you need from there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread