Oxford Dictionaries’ word of the year is ‘vape’

Status
Not open for further replies.

abpigdoc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2014
Alpharetta, GA USA
I just heard on the radio (NPR). We're now mainstream! Vape apparently was used this year in discussion, mostly in the context of discussion of it's merits and derisive content to such a degree that it became 'word of the year' in OED. Well, that makes me feel proud to be a part of the discussion--and a staunch supporter, and happy that more people will hear the Word! Our work has not gone unnoticed.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin

cupAsoup

Oct 27, 2014
Chicago
Full article on Yahoo! news.

Always predicting trends on the rise, last year’s Oxford English Dictionary “Word of the Year” was “selfie” — and we’ve seen no shortage of personal snaps, selfie-centered books and namesake TV shows spawned since the announcement.
That’s why this year’s buzzword is cause for real concern.
As proof that e-cigarette use has reached mainstream audiences, the folks at Oxford Dictionary have just announced “vape” as its word of 2014. In case you’re unfamiliar, the term means “to inhale and exhale the vapor produced by an electronic cigarette or similar device.”
Shocked? Maybe we shouldn’t be.

ThrownClear

Apr 13, 2014
Chicago, IL
Am I the only one who cringed a little bit the first time I heard the word "vape" and "vaping"? I've since said it / read it so many times that it doesn't even phase me, but I really had a negative gut reaction the first time I heard it (even though I was totally interested in trying it).

I'm glad to see there have been a few pro-vape news stories. I worry that the older-news-eyeballs will be more interested in the "look at what these damn kids are doing now" and "the vaping time bomb that will kill us all!" type stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread