Parallel vs Series Mech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frat

Apr 1, 2018
What is the difference between a parallel circuit and a series circuit in a mech mode, I want to try the Cricket v2 from Wismec, because I saw that it has a ton of ways to deliver power and the thing is that I don't know if it's just a "gadget" or is it significant. You can build the circuit in it in parallel or in series how does it affects the vape ?

Reactions: stols001

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Lots of research to do before jumping into a mechanical, especially one with those options. A coil that would be just fine running parallel would quickly get you into trouble running series. First and foremost you must know Ohm's law, what your batteries can handle and an accurate way to measure the coil(s) resistance.

Series doubles the voltage, parallel doubles the mAh.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
You must know ohms law and know how to build within the batteries amp limit unless you want to be the next guy on the 6:00 news with his hand and 1/2 his face blown off. Mechs are no joke n nothing to play around with cause if you haven’t done your research and know how to build to your battery, your holding a bomb just waiting to go off. Best do your research then get back with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
The Noisy Cricket II does have the option of using variable voltage which makes it a lot safer than a "standard" mech mod. The difference between series and parallel are huge in mech mods. Whole different ball game. As per above posts, it is necessary to understand DC electricity to include Ohm's Law, Watt's Law, and battery discharge characteristics if you move away from regulated mods. For that matter, it is good to understand even with regulated mods as they are not all created equal. The danger of driving a battery into self-destruct mode and causing serious damage to everything around it increases substantially as you move to less regulated mods.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Series - voltages are added together
Parallel - voltage the same, but mAh and CDR added together

Exotic coils like multi-core claptons that use a lot of metal and therefore end up being very low resistance. These are better suited to a parallel mod where you have a large combined amp pool.
However, the higher the current in an electrical circuit is the greater the losses will be, ie the more voltage drop you see in the mod which increases exponentially with amp draw.

Because series configuration has a higher voltage pool, much higher resistance coils can be used comprised of thinner wire which is intrinsically more efficient and ramps up/down faster. Less current in the circuit will be more efficient. Less current also means less battery voltage sag.

Ultimately assuming you choose your coil resistance sensibly, you can use either parallel or series to achieve the same output wattage and approximately the same run-time from a pair of batteries.

Eg.
0.7 ohms @ 8.4 volts = 12 amps and 100 watts
0.175 ohms @ 4.2 volts = 24 amps and 100 watts

The NC2 does parallel and series unregulated. It also does regulated series variable voltage which is how I use it.
How this works is rather than 8.4 volts, you are able to select between 2 and 6 volts and all values in between. You can then choose an appropriate coil resistance that will produce a range of output wattages that suit you within this voltage range. Also the mod will maintain this output throughout the battery life rather than falling off as it does in a unregulated mode.

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
Mech-Mod-Safety.jpg

I
Power output at 3.7 on a parallel vs 7.4 series with .2 ohm coil. A fully charged battery has 4.2v. so numbers will be even higher. The series would be over 300w.
SmartSelectImage_2018-04-16-03-39-50.png
SmartSelectImage_2018-04-16-03-40-39.png

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Here's my lecture I give new Mech users.

1. Ohm's law, Steam Engine | free vaping calculators makes it easy and there's even an app on it for Android

2. Batteries, it's batteries, take good care of your batteries and know them!!!!!!!

a. Avoid .... batteries like eFest who rewrap rejects with grossly inflated amp ratings. Stick with authentic LG, Sony or Samsung from reputable (not eBay or Amazon) sources, great places that I get authentics from are -

http://liionwholesale.com/

Earth's #1 source for IMR 18650 Batteries, Chargers, Cases & Wraps | IMRbatteries.com

b. Stick well within Continuous Discharge Rate (CDR) Not the "pulse"

c. Keep up to date with what Mooch tests and battery ratings, follow his posts on Facebook and his Blog and only use his recommend batteries.

d. In Mod's with multiple batteries, marry them.

e. Get some battery wraps, they're cheap and easy to re-wrap batteries. Any nicks,tears or what ever don't be stupid and just re-wrap.

3. Don't build stupid low a good builder can chuck and get awesome dense vape from a good build. It's simple, with 20 CDR Amp batteries -

a. Single battery mod's you're fine with .2 ohms on up

b. Dual Parallel you're fine with .15 on up. Parallel you take the full CDR of one battery then add 1/2 the CDR of the next battery

c. Series you double the voltage but you share the amps . So a series you build high with a lot of wire mass no lower that .4 ohms.

4. Make sure you don't have any shorts. For an extra caution any new build I will vape on a regulated mod for a few drips or with a tank about a 1/4 tank. This is to insure nothing wonky with my build like shorts.

5. Careful if it's not in your hand, if it doesn't have a lock on the button and you put it in your pocket (which I really don't recommend) insure nothing else is in your pocket and it's loose. Don't want to put it in your front pocket and blow your Johnson off ya know ;)

6. Last but certainly NOT the least, keep it clean! Clean it when you first get it "before" you even use it and clean it on a regular basis.

a. Ultrasonics are a very good investment, got mine off Amazon for around $25.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread