Paranormal or Therion (C chip)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kennneth

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2019
Dallas
Howdy, well I read a lot and learned a lot. Think I'm going just cut to the chase. Pico is great but want more battery longevity and rta size versatility. So which one of these will be my next mod...

Requirements;
TC
Dual 18650 (longevity)
Atty versatility
Software/firmware tweakable
Durable

Cons and Comparisons
?

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Therion uses the DNA75C, Paranormal uses the DNA250C. The 75C is not as efficient as the 250C and limited to 75 watts max. If you are pushing 70(ish) watts, as noted in your other thread, perhaps the 250C version might be the better choice.

Outside of that, it boils down to aesthetics. I’ve noticed a few complaints trying to remove the batteries from the Therion and a few have noted issues with the Paranormal battery door. Mine is tight but manageable and so far no issues.

If you do not mind a little more weight, the Triade could be another good option. 3 batteries will give you days of use at 70(ish) watts. It’s size is not as long as the Paranormal and just slightly thicker, same height.

Data sheets on both the 75C and 250C can be found here.

EVOLV - Home

EVOLV - Home

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
If you like squonking or think it's something you should try why not kill two birds with one stone :)

The Lost vape Drone is a great piece of kit....I love mine and as we already have said TC is the best on a DNA chip. This is also the DNA 250 C and same ish form factor as the Triade

20190407_170648.jpg

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    All 75 boards are parallel, and boost/buck. The 75C can boost 100watts for 1 second with Intl firmware.
    All 2xx boards are series, and buck. (Edit: Regardless of name of mod or battery orientation shown by mod. Behind the scene they are wired in a series fashion)
    There has been a Paranormal 75C mod.
    There is a dual battery HCigar75D mod.

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    I prefer the aesthtetics of the Therion. There is no Paranormal version with a 75C only 166C. I have both. They are excellent. It comes down to taste and whether you prefer the ability to adjust more settings right on the mod with the C versions rather than the earlier ones. That said, I personally would go with the C version Paranormal for the flexibility and ability to support higher power. However the Therion 75C is an excellent choice as well, the batteries are in a parallel configuration rather than series as in the 250 series boards (166 with 2 batteries 250 with 3 batteries, and on the C 300W). The C series also offers Replay which is useful if you switch attys around and are too lazy to create profiles for each type of build.

My understanding was you were looking for a mod, not a squonker. Squonking is a different animal and don't get caught up in that unless you really want to go that way. Adding that variable to this thread is only complicating things for you.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 28, 2013
    The Clemson Tigers State

I just sold my Paranormal 75C which was a great mod and for me I could almost get 2 days of use with using LG H2 batteries. The only reason I sold it was the weight and since I'm not a high watt vapor I went for the Mirage 75C and Protovapor 75C both of which use a single battery.
    paranormal.jpg

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    No, the para battery door has positive and negative indicating a series battery connection. However, 2 pins connecting topside indicating some switching to me but don't know why. Series was/is ideally something I am looking for as less parasitic losses and easier (more eff) on the boost/buck converter, in theory.

The 2 pins are for battery metering while charging. You’ll find similar connections, usually 1 pin, on many devices that have a hinged battery door.

vimagreg

ECF Veteran
    Feb 9, 2019
    I have a Paranormal 250C and just love it. I agree the design could be better (it could sit more comfortably on hand), but it's simply a beautiful and powerful device. I like, too, its versatility. Never used any mod with 75C chip, though, as for me it would be insufficient (I like to vape at 80-90 watts sometimes).

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    Evolv PD doc
    ^^^^^^^^^
    Useful doc I found.

Yes, just battery balancing. I can see where they might use the same punch template for 2 and 3 cell copper battery plates. Still curious for 2 pins though ... maybe the enginerd has symmetry issues... naw, that would never happen!
    They use two pins on some because in case one doesn't make good enough connection. Like on airplanes, we had dual electrical systems. Even two spark plugs per cylinder. We could switch from one set or the other or run both. Normally we ran both in normal flight.

Kennneth

ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2019
    Dallas
    They use two pins on some because in case one doesn't make good enough connection. Like on airplanes, we had dual electrical systems. Even two spark plugs per cylinder. We could switch from one set or the other or run both. Normally we ran both in normal flight.
    One can only hope!

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
    Jan 10, 2015
    Kent - United Kingdom
    By design, if you drive 75 W into a 0.15 Ohm coil on a DNA75C - the system will overheat and may go into thermal shutoff.
    No damage, just an annoyance and poor battery efficiency.
    This said, I never go above 45 W with the DNA75C devices, and use the highest coil resistance I could, to conserve battery power by remaining where the conversion efficiency is higher.
    The Therions 75c, by the way, are a dream for MTL.

Kennneth

ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2019
    Dallas
    Thanks, do you think they'll make a Therion 166C? Might reconsider the 3 cell since most of the time it'll be on my desk... but sometimes I might take it fishing so the extra power and abilities would be desired on those occasions.

Regarding the 2 contact pins on the battery cover, (...seems a little odd) or is there some switching topside that allow them to work in series and parallel? Series a plus imo. If they weren't there you can easily see they would be series,ed. Fact is I can think of a few reasons but I don't know. Do you?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I have heard that batteries are easier to insert and remove in the Paranormal. The Therion I heard can sometimes damage battery wrappers. I do not own either of them, just relaying what I heard.
    Therion has other problems too. The bottle is in front of the battery, and there’s this little removable plastic piece between them. My solution was to avoid both issues by putting a magnetic adaptor on the microUSB2 port and using it like a sealed battery mod. Battery stays in till it wears out.

Kennneth

ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2019
    Dallas
    All 2xx boards are series, and buck. (Edit: Regardless of name of mod or battery orientation shown by mod. Behind the scene they are wired in a series fashion)

TYVM, good info : )

Therion has other problems too. The bottle is in front of the battery, and there’s this little removable plastic piece between them. My solution was to avoid both issues by putting a magnetic adaptor on the microUSB2 port and using it like a sealed battery mod. Battery stays in till it wears out.

Yes, good idea on mag. I already have some more mag adapters inbound. BTW, good on almost all uUsb devices : )

Bottle... see below ; )

I prefer the aesthtetics of the Therion. ... the batteries are in a parallel configuration rather than series as in the 250 series boards (166 with 2 batteries 250 with 3 batteries, and on the C 300W). The C series also offers Replay which is useful if you switch attys around and are too lazy to create profiles for each type of build.
    My understanding was you were looking for a mod, not a squonker.

I agree on aesthtetics a bit too. Yea, wanna test and play with replay (TC for VW ; )
    BTW, ArticFox has SMART which is the atty swap remembering function. Haven't tested it and would always look to confirm anyway (Thar could be danger in dem dar woods!)

You are correct sir...don't know where the squonking came from...:rolleyes:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread