Pardon my Health Related Comment But...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeeYourHairSmellsTerrific

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
I know there's a whole forum for the health related stuff, but I had to post it here at my V4L home.

My recent blood pressure check was almost 10 points lower (top and bottom numbers), down nicely into the normal range, since I'm a Vapor King junkie!

I use fairly high nic, mostly 18 or 24 during the daylight hours so clearly it wasn't the nicotine pushing me into the borderline level of blood pressure. Was the burning tar and POISONS!!!

So a great big thanks for making vaping fun, convenient, and effective goes out to Steve, Mark, and all here on the forum for great products and good support when I need it.

Now I'm truly vaping for life:D:D:D

martha1014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Delhi, LA USA
How Does Smoking Increase Heart Disease Risk?

The nicotine present in tobacco products causes:
  • Decreased oxygen to the heart.
  • Increased blood pressure and heart rate.
  • Increase in blood clotting.
  • Damage to cells that line coronary arteries and other blood vessels.
I posted this on another thread. Nicotine will increase you B/P. It may be due to the fact that you are getting less nicotine.

GeeYourHairSmellsTerrific

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
Martha1014, of course nicotine isn't the best thing to be snorking down, we all know that, we're mostly addicted to it and if it was easy to walk away from we would have done it long ago!
But my improved blood pressure and feeling so much better leads me to believe that it was largely the by products that were causing my elevated BP.
I've quit analogs enough times to know when I'm in withdrawal. I'm not in withdrawal and haven't had those symptoms.
So maybe I'm getting enough less nicotine but make that difference but I doubt it. I truly believe that it's the lack of harmful substances inherent to the combustion process causing my improvement. Just my HO.

leeshor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Norcross, GA
My BP fluctuates so much my doc can't get a bead on it anyway. I will say that since my consumption of the nic is spread out more than it was before that there must be a positive effect. Plus I'm at 8 - 11 on the nic depending on the flavor.

Something my doc has had a problem with is blood oxygen levels. Last visit was the first time the lab tech didn't ask me to take a deep breath to get it up where it should be.

rocks82

Supplier Associate
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Columbus
www.altsmoke.com
Just before I quit, I'd been put on albuterol for an asthmatic cough and was threatened with BP medicine for diastolic hypertension (top number was nice and low, bottom was high)... basically, regular cigarette smoking mixed with stress had me experiencing narrowing of the pulse pressures (my BP was running 122/110 the two numbers should not be that close). I was having dizzy spells and felt like hell so I went to the doc. Until that point, I'd always had picture-perfect blood pressure... hell, if anything i was low!

Not just a work issue. I train in jiu jitsu. I competed in my first tournament last June and did great until I was up against someone who lasted all 3 rounds, winded me and tapped my smokey .... out!

I quit and now my diastolic is back down to where it belongs. No more dizzy spells. Lungs feel great. I don't get winded nearly like before.

BP and lungs drew the line for me. I'm 27 years old and in good physical shape. I have no business having issues with blood pressure when I have no underlying disorders. Plus, I missed a week of work because I couldn't exactly go drive, lift, carry and treat patients with dizzy spells going on. That just ...... me off.

My partner @ work is 32 years old. He's already on BP meds for hypertension (stress, smoking butts, bad eating habits). He's been sneaking my PV at work. I'm hoping he'll quit and be a V4L fan soon too! Maybe even off BP meds. (i also banned mcdonalds from our truck on the order of his wife. )

Last edited:

~Gazoo~

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2009
South Carolina

I posted this on another thread. Nicotine will increase you B/P. It may be due to the fact that you are getting less nicotine.

But you also know there have been many reports on this forum from people that have switched to vaping.......that there blood pressure has decreased. So there is much more to it than just the nicotine present in a cigarette.

I have not had my blood pressure checked....but one thing I know is my heart rate has decreased since I have been vaping and I feel much better.

I do agree many of us are not getting the nicotine we did from smoking as vaper is not absorbed into the lungs the same way smoke is. But even if we were, vaping is a ton better for us than smoking and that is a known fact.

Last edited:

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
My BP is down since I started vaping. I have had high BP for 15 years! Meds just don't work very well on me. I have tried them all at one time or another.
My last few visits to the Dr. have been great..she is over the moon with my stats. My blood sugar is staying level too since I started on insulin..at the lowest level.Vaping keeps me away from snacks..salty and sweet.
I have nothing but the best things to say about vaping, V4L and Steve and mark!

Pugzley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2009
USA
My resting heart rate has dropped 22 bpm since I stopped cigarettes and started vaping. I was working out like mad at the gym and wasn't getting much for results, but once I stopped the cigs and started the pv, everything changed. I work out 4 to 6x a week, every week. Now I'm using the incline up to the highest level through most of my workout, it's still tough, but getting easier each time I go. Before, I just kept doing the same workout over and over and could hardly progress at all.

I think the fact that we were inhaling stacks and stacks of burning weeds causes a lot of the problems, the fact that you are inhaling smoke instead of air has to affect every cell in your body, you're cells are screaming for oxygen all day long when you smoke a lot and they're not getting it.

I know nic isn't good for me, but cutting out the rest of it has helped me in so many ways.

Imagine burning leaves and inhaling that day in and day out, that's basically what we were doing, with a bunch of additives and chemicals tossed in for good measure. No wonder we can't breathe when we smoke.

martha1014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Delhi, LA USA
Hey everybody I'm not arguing with anybody about the facts that I quoted.It came directly from WebMD.

My blood pressure actually went up. My doctor increased my medication. I don't know is your are getting less nicotine or if I am getting more but the facts remains what they are.

I also feel 100% better, breathe better and my doctor said my lungs sound much better than before.

rocks82

Supplier Associate
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Columbus
www.altsmoke.com
Hey everybody I'm not arguing with anybody about the facts that I quoted.It came directly from WebMD.

My blood pressure actually went up. My doctor increased my medication. I don't know is your are getting less nicotine or if I am getting more but the facts remains what they are.

I also feel 100% better, breathe better and my doctor said my lungs sound much better than before.

i've been a paramedic for 7 years. WebMD is non-patient specific generalized information. It is a useful tool to narrow down a persons condition, but when it comes to diagnostics? Not the be-all, end-all. You'd be amazed how many people call 911 claiming they are having a terminal condition (because webMD said it was a possibility in the list of potential causes of symptoms) when they actually have the sniffles or a pulled muscle. :-x
(We actually have a poster on the wall in our garage that says "WebMD was created by the Devil to punish Paramedics"

regarding: http://www.webmd.boots.com/women/guide/smoking-heart-disease

* Decreased oxygen to the heart.
* Increased blood pressure and heart rate.
* Increase in blood clotting.
* Damage to cells that line coronary arteries and other blood vessels.

I looked up the webMD article you are referring to. It specifically states the nicotine in cigarettes. Nicotine in cigarettes is married to the carbon monoxide and toxins.

Basically, you're missing something key. We're talking about how blood pressure and heart rate have fluctuated for the better since we stopped smoking. Not since we changed out nicotine intake. They are two very, very different things.

Yes, an indisputable fact is that nicotine can increase heart rate and blood pressure (usually during the immediate 45 minutes after intake, but eventually long-term). Nobody here is saying that their circulatory changes are due to nicotine.

The additional toxins in cigarette smoke have a massive contribution to hypertension. You're also leaving out underlying medical conditions and predisposed genetic dispositions that make some people more susceptible to hypertension than others.

When you get your nicotine through a cigarette, you are decreasing the oxygen to your arteries and heart because you are inhaling carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide bonds to hemoglobin 200x better than oxygen. It displaces the oxygen being transported by your hemoglobin and due to this, your heart and arteries are not receiving properly oxygenated blood. The toxins included with the nicotine also contribute to these issues.

Yes, nicotine has negative effects. If we're going to pinpoint them, lets at least get the right ones! Nicotine, in itself, is not responsible for the decreased oxygenation of the arteries and cardiac tissue.

Big point... blood pressure and heart rate are increased when you are low on oxygen because your heart works harder to get the adequate levels of oxygen. When your heart works harder... your blood pressure and pulse goes up.

Causes of Hypertension

sedentary lifestyle
obesity
alcohol intake
vitamin D deficiancy
adrenal and thyroid problems
congestive heart failure
kidney failure
cardiac issues
too much sodium
stress
Diabetes
birth control pills

Nicotine causes your blood pressure and pulse to increase due to vasoconstriction (aka, everything tightening up). Antihistamines, caffeine and decongestants do this to you also. In moderate doses, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's, again, to be determined on a case by case basis

Nicotine actually has a lot of positive medical uses, too! Obviously, too much nicotine is bad for you. Too much oxygen and too much water are bad for you also.

My diastolic (when my ventricles relax) blood pressure has gone down since I started vaping and stopped smoking cigarettes. I've reduced my nicotine intake through vaping. I used to smoke 4 cigarettes in a row as soon as I cleared the ER while I was doing my paperwork. Then i'd smoke another before I called clear on the radio just because I knew it was my last chance. Not to mention when I'd wake up randomly during the night and smoke 2-3 cigarettes while trying to get relaxed to go back to sleep (long-time insomniac).

Through vaping, I've cut out the intake of the toxins in cigarette smoke and my heart doesn't have to work as hard to get oxygen.... thus eliminating what seems to be the significant factor of my increased blood pressure.

I'm not doubting that your hypertension has worsened. And yes, nicotine can increase blood pressure and heart rate... but the webMD article you are using as your resource of information is about nicotine in smoking. Not straight nicotine.

Hypertension is complicated and can have many causes. Eliminating the carbon monoxide and toxins in cigarette smoke is enough to make significant changes to blood pressure and heart rate. In my case, elimination of these toxins has alleviated my issue.

In your case, that doesn't seem to be the case. It could be nicotine for you, but apparently, it wasn't for those of us that have had decreased blood pressure and heart rate. Or maybe it's another factor entirely. I'm sorry that your hypertension has progressed. I truly hope you find the cause of it or at least the medication you need to resolve your hypertension issues.

Last edited:

SLDS181

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Western NJ

Nicotine isn't the only factor. Its carbon monoxide, which decreases the amount of oxygen getting where it needs, plaque buildup, etc.

So its not the whole story. In many cases, just going to nic alone will bring down BP into range. For others, it won't, though likely due to other more significant causes.

Pugzley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2009
USA
Hey Pugzley, I had a great leaf fire this weekend, what a great way to look at what I was doing all those years! LOL, hard to imagine going back to that, vaping is just so clean in comparison, yes nicotine is what it is but so much better when it's cleaner!
I'm loving no more ash and stink!

haha Yeah, being able to turn on a fan without a cloud of ashes rising and blowing all over the room/all over me is another added benefit. I'm still working on scraping all the tar out of my house. It's funny, I guess cigs always made things yellow, but when I was a kid with zillions of smokers around, I never noticed the smoke being as nasty as it is nowdays. Sometimes I wonder if it isn't all the junk that they added over the years to the cigs making it stick to things more or something.

LastOutlaw

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2009
Texas
www.quantumtour.com
I haven't had any medical diagnosis done but i can tell you without a doubt that since I began vaping about 4 weeks ago I have noticed the following changes in myself:
I no longer cough uncontrollably when I wake up in the morning
My shortness of breath has subsided dramatically
I no longer cough flem up or feel it in my chest and throat.
I feel like I have a lot more energy than I did when inhaling analogs
This enough proof to me as I feel it in my body.
I did have a physical a couple of weeks ago and when the Dr. asked me if I smoked I said no.
He listened to my chest in more than one place and after the physical told me I seem very healthy.

lunaras

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2009
Nowhere
I found out about this time last year that I've got BP problems too (lack of exercise, overweight, sit all day at work, smoking, etc.). When I first found out in Oct 2008, my BP was 186/132. Needless to say I spent a few hours in the ER because they thought I was going to stroke. After getting on meds and monitoring at home, varied from 140/100 to 236/164, and averaged around 170/110. That is, up until September, when I switched to vaping.

I've not see the doc since then, but my monitoring at home shows my BP around 110/70 to 120/80, and it appears to still be dropping. Now, I'm still on meds, but I'd say that's a helluva improvement and I attribute it all to switching to my PV since the obesity, lack of exercise has all remained the same.

Now if exercise were as easy to start and I could vape my meals, I'd be set!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread