Passthrough problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prophetr1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 13, 2010
Richmond
very true.... i dont have a wall charger yet though (but i will be getting one soon) so thats why i was wondering and also someimes not all the time it would be more convenient to use the USB on computer but thanks for your info thats exactly what i was verifying that there were some reports of this cause i had only heard it once and hadnt seen anythig here on the forum on my search. so thanks

also i heard that if u get a usb hub that will protect your computer is that true?

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
People plug into a USB hub for power, so they don't have to plug into their computers. If you have a "direct" type of PT, meaning it does NOT have a battery in-line on the cord, you will need to find a power source that delivers 2 Amps. The type of PT that has an in-line battery only uses the power source to recharge the battery, so it can be a regular 500 mA (0.5 Amps) source.

Are you using the type with an in-line battery, or without?

prophetr1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 13, 2010
Richmond
IDK..... I have on the way a vapor 4 life manual passthrough. (dont think it does have and inline) and i was talking about the usb hub that plugs into your usb on your computer but has a couple different usb ports it was a thought that if the passthrough "gliched" or whatever that the hub would take the hit instead of my computer

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
I was talking about a powered USB hub, I've read that they work well as a power supply.

I don't think the one from V4L has a battery. You should go to the V4L sub-forum here at ECF, or email V4L directly, and ask if you will need a 5V 2A power source. It may seem like an annoying extra step, but I've had a lot better luck with this type than with the ones that have a battery.

If you need one, here are some options:

2 amp AC to USB Adapter, ideal for Passthroughs

I've heard you can also find 5V 2A wall-warts at Radio Shack.

Here's some for the car:

2 amp Car to USB Adapter

Cigarette lighter to USB power adapter 5V/2000mAh

prophetr1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 13, 2010
Richmond
yea i dont think it has a battery either... and thanks for thise links. cause i atleast will need the wall charger... i have a car charger to usb but i dont know the specs on it i actually found it and dont know where it came from...it has a gamestop sticker on it so i am assuming it was for a game of sometype but IDK lol

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
So a wall-wart is this 2AMP AC to USB adapter and you recommend that I plug that into an outlet and then plug the PT into that?

Sorry to be such a gurl. Thank you fellow monkey.

Haha, no problem. Yes, I would recommend you get an extension cord to plug in the wall, and place/attach the other end somewhere close to your keyboard (like behind the monitor?). Plug the wall-wart into the extension cord, and the PT into the wall-wart. The extension cord just brings the wall-wart closer to where you sit, PT cords are short.

IMPORTANT: I was told that the little M-401 atomizers and PT's work just fine with a regular USB port, and that 2 Amps is too much for them. I don't know anything about that atty, this setup that I'm describing is for 510's, 901's, and 801's, and cartomizers. It is also for the "direct" type of PT, the one that has does NOT have a battery box attached to the cord.

One more thing: This is considered "high voltage vaping". The regular batts only put out something around 3 or 4 Volts (depends). Some people don't like the way 5 Volt vaping tastes, and you have to be even more careful not to
let your atty go dry, because that's rough on them at 5V. Make sure you have spare atomizers on hand any time you do high-voltage vaping.

Last edited:

100thMonkey

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
Los Angeles
Thanks quasimod. That is very fascinating. Being new, I'm still attached to E9 set-up. I recently got a 510 and I'm getting used to it. I have PTs for both. The same situation occured with both. Pretty sure I was overloading my printer USB with both.

Last night I ordered both of the adapters you mentioned (for the car and the PT) and I'll see how they work out.

I've loved (when it worked) vaping off the PT. And I'll follow your advice and keep a good watch on the dryness factor.

Thank you, I'll let you know.

Blessings

prophetr1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 13, 2010
Richmond
hey can anyone answer the question why my V4L PT wont work on my mac laptop? and with that answer can u tell me that a powered usb hub wil fix this problem i have the wal wart thing i use with the PT but being able to use my laptop would be more comvenient at times especially with the lenght of the cord....

emsmom

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2009
Arizona
Your usb passthru will work on your laptop. What they are saying is that you are risking blowing out your computer when you use one. Many members here have purchased this wall wart and you will avoid any possible dangers to your expensive computer.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/puresmoker/111720-2amp-dual-usb-adapter-deal-back.html I have a few of these and they work great!! Even ordered a couple more. Can't go wrong for 5.95 including the shipping!!

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
hey can anyone answer the question why my V4L PT wont work on my mac laptop? [...]

I already did: The USB port on your Mac isn't putting out enough Amps, a powered USB hub, or any other USB power supply that provides 2 Amps, will work, and you can plug the wall wart into an extension cord if you don't want to vape under your desk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread