PCC Mod: Carry two attys at once with a total of 3 carts with battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched for this mod before I did it but could not find it anywhere. If this is a repost I apologize!

So I'm new to vaping (see sig ;)) and have no track record with attys. Don't know if I'm maintaining them correctly, or if what I'm doing is wrong and they just die prematurely. Also, its not always convenient for me to top off my carts while at work or just throughout the day. I wanted to be able to keep about 3 carts with me at all times but STILL have a backup atty. The other benefit is once I start making my own flavorings or just having more flavorings on tap (only one at the moment) I would like to possibly switch flavors throughout the day. Example: I look forward to vaping coffee in the morning hours but not all day. This will prevent cross flavor contamination as I usually like to smoke a menthol or minty flavor throughout the day and these seem to really keep that minty flavor no matter what. A liquid as light flavored as the coffee will be overpowered by menthol/mint flavoring.

Anywho on to the mod:

First off, I'm not going to cover how to disassemble your PCC. Not to offend, but this involves power tools and almost cost me my LiIon battery! This is for those that are already somewhat handy.

I took off the two screws and took the plastic chamber and drilled with a 23/64th drill bit.

*NOTE: BE FREAKIN' CAREFUL!!!!*

When I was drilling near the end the drill bit "bit" into the plastic and jurked my drill and the PCC and almost destroyed the battery. Thankfully it did not actually come into contact with the LiIon pack or the circuitry on top of the battery. It did however rip the negative wire lead off the solder connection. I simply soldered it back on and all is well. GRASP THE PCC FIRMLY! I was drilling too slow with the bit and it grabbed it.

Next I had to continually test the atty/cart combo to make sure it was nice and smooth in there with no obstruction.

After drilling I wanted a way to keep the circuitry protected from any e-liquid that may fall out of the atty. Considering there is a cap in the intended atty chamber I decided with it being as open to the battery as it is it should have the same protection. This will also make cleaning easy as I can either take it apart and take that cap out to clean or just swab it with a q-tip.

I cut an extra cart cap down long enough to fit the threads of the atty. I then took an old cart cap from my Luci cartridges and trimmed it down so there was a nice soft buffer from the battery to the atty while preventing the atty from going too far down into the chamber.(The Luci cart caps are more like soft rubber plugs. Solid but squishy)
The fit is PERFECT and it is level with the other cart/atty combo chamber.

After that I began to re-assemble the PCC when I noticed the longer of the two screws was too long and interfering with the atty sliding down. I took some snips and cut the screw down enough to secure the case together but not hit the atty.

That's it!

This may be looked at by some "pro" vapers as not necessary but I really really like redundancy and convenience of carrying two attys and 3 carts.

Attachments

• IMG_0035 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0035 (Medium).jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0036 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0036 (Medium).jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0039 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0039 (Medium).jpg
    32 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0045 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0045 (Medium).jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0043 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0043 (Medium).jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:

HaploVoss

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Rogersville, MO - USA
No way... it is a great idea and I appreciate you posting it. Wife and I are currently deciding on which model we are going to purchase next, and it is a tough decision from reading these forums and all the great reviews on many different ones.

One of the main limiters that helped us reduce our choices down to three is whether or not the model supported / has a starter kit with a PCC.

I definately like the idea of having more than one atty with me on the go not just for flavors sake from the experience I've had with my RN4081 and what I've read on here about other models like 510s and 901s where attys are dying sporadically.

Take care,
- Hap

TnA

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
Fayetteville, NC
Hmm, Ill take the lack of responses as not all that great lol.

poor_red_neck, no mod is a bad mod! :) Just might not suit a lot of people's wants/needs/desires. However, you had a want and mod'd to take care of it, so it's definitely noteworthy and worth sharing with the community.

Nice job, good tutorial, and good pics. The instructions are very clear on what needs to be done!

I'm actually planning on modding mine but my need is to have a PCC for my 901, so that will be the direction of mine, whenever I get the chance to do it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread