Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have been using e-cigarettes for a while, and I also buy a lot of liquids, both PG and VG, many people are asking for the difference between PG and VG, below is a brief sum up I made according to my experience, any new or different ideas are always welcome.

#1. VG is thicker, so PG spreads better, and the aroma of PG volatilizes better.
#2. VG(vegetable glycerin) tastes lighter, but VG contains no propylene glycol.This is deemed as a harmful substance in some countries.

This is rough opinion, maybe you guys have better ideas?:)

Maxwell_Edison

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Ohio
beatlesnumber9.com
PG is in a lot of our food, so I don't know about it being harmful. Aside from that, I would like to try VG to see if I'd like it (I just don't have money to gamble with). I've heard there's not much of a throat hit and I need the throat hit. Can someone go a little more indepth about the difference between the two?

Chingas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2010
Billings, MT
Not scientific at all:

PG Pros-

Brighter and clearer flavors, stronger throat hit for those that care about that, it's runny so it's easier to drip and use in Cartomizers, low on vapor production so it is good for stealth.

PG Cons-

If you don't like the flavor you are vaping then it'll really suck since you can taste it so well, (in my experience) harsher throat hits are due to greater throat irritation, runny juices leak easier, vapor is fun and PG just can't provide it, harder to find if you DIY your juice.

PG side effect (for me)-

Propelyne Glycol partially breaks down into Lactic Acid which makes your muscles stiff and achy, particularly in the morning.

VG Pros-

Smoother feel in the throat and lungs, thick clouds of vapor, it's gooey so less likely to leak, when properly mixed it doesn't lack for flavor, if you make your own juice it is much easier to find than PG.

VG Cons-

Slightly harder to find vendors who do good all VG mixes, lesser throat hit for those who care about that, it's thickness means it can wick slower which may cramp your vaping style, much less flavor if the vendor is clueless, not as cartomizer friendly.

VG side effect (for me)- VG partially breaks down into a simple sugar (sucrose?) so you need to treat it like it is a sugary snack and brush your teeth well before bed.

80%PG/20%VG mixes are commonly tried as are 50%/50% in an attempt to get the best of both.

Probably no where near complete...meh.

Maxwell_Edison

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Ohio
beatlesnumber9.com
That's a lot of info, the mixture of the two sounds best to me, like 80% PG / 20% VG, but I've never seen it for sell anywhere. Maybe that's what wow juice is. Thanks for takingh the time to write ths down Chingas. I kinda need the throat hit, so I'm a little afraid of trying VG. Do you know where I can buy some mixed juice?

rogerdugans

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
A house in the US
I am going to add to confusion just a little bit:

I have no problems with PG but VG- it just hits me wrong somehow. Nasty taste, unpleasant in my lungs, etc. VG and I just don't get along.

I post this for a reason, not just to make things difficult: the first few month or so, all I had (not a purchasing decision, just happened that way) and I decided to try VG/blends and unfortunately spent a decent chunk of change on jusices that I really can't vape. I verifed that it was the VG buy buying some pkain, unflavored of both and I have no problem with PG but, well, pretty much feel ill with the VG.

Experimenting is good though and most people find some blend or other works best for them. Many places sell or custom mix blends to order as well.

My suggestion is to primarily stick with what you KNOW is ok but try some blends as well.

texastumbleweed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2008
DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS!
Excellent post!

not scientific at all:

Pg pros-

brighter and clearer flavors, stronger throat hit for those that care about that, it's runny so it's easier to drip and use in cartomizers, low on vapor production so it is good for stealth.

Pg cons-

if you don't like the flavor you are vaping then it'll really suck since you can taste it so well, (in my experience) harsher throat hits are due to greater throat irritation, runny juices leak easier, vapor is fun and pg just can't provide it, harder to find if you diy your juice.

Pg side effect (for me)-

propelyne glycol partially breaks down into lactic acid which makes your muscles stiff and achy, particularly in the morning.

Vg pros-

smoother feel in the throat and lungs, thick clouds of vapor, it's gooey so less likely to leak, when properly mixed it doesn't lack for flavor, if you make your own juice it is much easier to find than pg.

Vg cons-

slightly harder to find vendors who do good all vg mixes, lesser throat hit for those who care about that, it's thickness means it can wick slower which may cramp your vaping style, much less flavor if the vendor is clueless, not as cartomizer friendly.

Vg side effect (for me)- vg partially breaks down into a simple sugar (sucrose?) so you need to treat it like it is a sugary snack and brush your teeth well before bed.

80%pg/20%vg mixes are commonly tried as are 50%/50% in an attempt to get the best of both.

Probably no where near complete...meh.

Ryanb317

Mar 8, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
That's a lot of info, the mixture of the two sounds best to me, like 80% PG / 20% VG, but I've never seen it for sell anywhere. Maybe that's what wow juice is. Thanks for takingh the time to write ths down Chingas. I kinda need the throat hit, so I'm a little afraid of trying VG. Do you know where I can buy some mixed juice?

gourmetvapor.com

ardelleg

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Alaska
Bought a bottle of VG and have been adding it to juices and cartos that are not exactly to my liking... it tones down the flavor and/or harshness.... Of course I am all over the place with my tastes right now... what I like today I might not care for tomorrow and vice versa....

Ordered from Void Mist and they let you choose %, BWB is a PG/VG mix, I am sure there are lot more that have the choice of %

Haven't found my favorite yet, although there have been days when I thought I did.... :)

LadyPhoenix

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2010
Easton, PA
I'm not sure where VG is getting this bad rap from as far as taste goes. I was put off from trying VG for the same reason, but turns out I am sensitive to PG so I had no choice.

Now I've tried VG juices from no less than FIVE different vendors, and there isn't much of a difference from PG. VG is thicker, though some vendors (namely Juicy Vapors and Velvet Vapors) might be diluting it somehow because their VG is not much thicker than PG.

As for the throat hit, I haven't noticed that much of a loss. Not sure if there is a marked difference in the lower nic level but I'm doing 18mg-24mg. Though I have read that VG juice is better with the lower voltage batteries (I use a KR808D).

By the way, BlueMist Vaping and Velvet Vapors 100% VG is very, very good. I recommend you try a sample pack from them if you can.

ShannonA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2011
Tyler, Tx

I prefer 70/30 to 80/20 a little less TH a little more Vapor but I like both and every now and then I am in the mood for 50/50 lots of vapor with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread