Phiness Vega Pod System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Hi ECF members, In this review i take a look at the Vega Pod System from Phinesstech. The Phiness Vega Pod System was supplied for the purpose of this review by Ariel from Vandyvape.

Vega -

Introduction

Phinesstech is a sister company setup to keep certain products such as pod devices separate from other products by Vandyvape and here we have the first product using the Phiness brand, the Vega pod system. The Vega is a tiny stealth device which comes in 12 different colour/design variations and features dual activation switches for a responsive reliable vape and top-fill pods, let's give this little cutie a look!

In The Box

Contents:

1 Phiness Vega Device
1 Micro USB Cable
1 Lanyard
1 Manual

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Vega comes in cardboard packaging with viewing window the same shape as the device so the Vega with pre-installed pod is on full show. I received the Crystal Purple version which features Purple Resin panels front and back, the options are, Zircon Green, Volcano Orange, Pine Cone Green, Coral Red, Crystal Purple, Rock Grey, Peacock Green, Carbon Fiber Black, Leather Gem Blue, Leather Black, Leather Python Green and Leather Diamond Black. The colour/design refers to the front and back panels and as already mentioned the one i received has Purple Resin panels with "PHINESS" on a small plaque at the top of the front one. The pod is much narrower than the device and the Black mouthpiece protrudes out the centre of the top of the device. We have cutouts at the top of one side and to the corresponding edge of the top for the fitting of the included metallic chain link lanyard, it's quite nice but in all honesty i would sooner of received an extra pod. On the opposite side to where we have the lanyard cutout we have a small LED indicator towards the bottom, on the base we have printed safety marks and branding, also on the base we find the micro USB port. The Vega's main chassis is Zinc Alloy and i can vouch that the Resin versions have genuine Resin panels and not stickers. The tiny device (possibly the smallest pod device available) just get's swallowed up by the hand and is fantastic build quality.

Comparison between Aspire AVP, Caliburn and Vega, it's tiny!

Vega Specs and Features:

Dimensions - 66mm by 28mm by 12mm
Integrated 250mAh Rechargeable Battery
Wattage Output Range: 5-15W
Zinc-Alloy Chassis Construction
Draw-Activated Firing Mechanism
LED Battery Life Indicator Light
Lanyard Attachment Point
1mL Refillable Pod
1.5ohm Integrated Coil
Top Fill System - Under Drip Tip
Micro USB Port
Colours/Designs: Zircon Green, Volcano Orange, Pine Cone Green, Coral Red, Crystal Purple, Rock Grey, Peacock Green, Carbon Fiber Black, Leather Gem Blue, Leather Black, Leather Python Green, Leather Diamond Black

Note: 90g is the weight of the kit in packaging including lanyard, the device actually weighs less than 30g with full pod inserted!

The Pod

The Vega houses a tiny 1ml pod which in return houses a 1.5ohm coil with organic cotton as it's wicking material but no other specs about the coil is given which is disappointing. The Black mouthpiece pulls off without difficulty but it's not loose either so good job! This reveals a slightly frosted rectangular pod so no issues whatsoever with seeing your juice level. With mouthpiece removed looking at the top of the pod we have the central air pipe opening and to each side a fair size fill port so air can escape from one while filling via the other, the ports will accommodate most nozzles so full marks for this quick and easy top-fill method. Looking at the base of the pod we can see an orange sticker that needs removing leaving the two contacts and air opening between. I don't watch or read reviews of items that i know i will be reviewing before doing my own review but i was unaware the Phiness was Vandyvape's sister company so didn't think i would be reviewing the Vega so have watched a couple of reviews, in those reviews it was said that 2 pods would be included but i received the retail version that very disappointingly included only one pod, not good enough!

Fitting The Pod

The pod is much narrower than the device so we have a central bay for the pod to be inserted into. Looking inside the bay it's neat and tidy and we can see both the Gold plated, spring loaded contacts and opening which leads to the dual switches. The pod can be inserted either way and is just press fitted in place. Despite just being press fitted there is very little movement and none during use. Once fitted the juice level can't be seen but it's easy enough just to pull the pod out to check. Although the pod is top-fill more often than not the pod will come out the device when moving the mouthpiece but because you need to remove the pod to see the juice level i don't see it as an issue.

Using The Device

The Vega is a simple draw activated device which i can't be certain because of the lack of clarity on both the website and in the manual but my experience using the device leads me to believe it's constant output as it gives a very consistent vape throughout the battery life. The device does have an LED indication light which lights up one of three colours when vaping. To vape simply take a draw and if the LED lights Purple we have almost a full battery, Blue medium life and Red means the battery is low, exact percentages aren't given but they are spaced out nicely. The LED also gives various flashes to indicate any safety protections kicking in.

Protections

Short Circuit Protection
Open Circuit Protection
10 Seconds Cut-off
Low Battery Protection
Overcharge Protection

My Experience Using The Vega

This really is a nice little stealth device which with it's dual switches gave a responsive and reliable draw. The draw i found to be very much like the Caliburn so high praise indeed, so quite loose but still very much suited for MTL, just a really nice draw. Flavour wasn't quite up their with the caliburn and not good with longevity and although the flavour has now dropped off i had to carry on using the device with very little flavour to test it properly as i only had the one pod. I said the flavour isn't as good as with the Caliburn but then i found the Caliburn to be a bit special but the flavour is still good which i would rate about average for a pod device but the flavour doesn't last long . The manual and website i found somewhat lacking in giving specs and clarification about the device which is a con so i can only give details on how i experienced the device. It does almost hint that their are 3 different power levels but i found these indications to be battery status indications which actually work quite well. It also says output is 5-15w which also hint at power levels and are too variant for direct output with a 1.5ohm coil, my actual experience of using the device was it was very consistent until just before the battery died which is to be expected so i suspect it's constant output and if not it certainly gives the performance of a constant output device. Battery life with the 1.5ohm coil was surprisingly good considering just how small this device is and it only took 45mins to charge while supporting pass-through. The only con i found while using the device was that i needed to remove the pod to check the juice level which was often as the pod only holds 1ml of liquid. I used both 50/50 nic salts and 70VG freebase and it wicked with no problems whatsoever.

Good build quality
12 Colour/Design options
Pocket friendly
Stealth device
Good flavour
Very nice MTL draw
Responsive
Dual switches giving reliable vape
Top-fill
Pod fits nicely in device
High VG wicked perfectly well
Can clearly see juice level inside pod
Despite only 250mAh battery life was better than expected
Charges in 45mins while supporting pass-through
Included lanyard

Cons

Only 1 pod included
1ml Capacity
Not good longevity with pod (might just be the one i received)
Small battery (but as big as it can be for size of device and lasted better than expected)
Need to remove pod to check juice level
Not clear specs given for device or coil

I would once again like to thank Ariel from Vandyvape for supplying the Phiness Vega Pod System for the purpose of this review.

Vega -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread