PIF Fave Music Thread!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wren

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2012
Chi-town
To keep it vaguely related to vaping, but mainly cuz I'd like to know more about what all the lovely PIF'ers, what are your fave tunes to listen to while vaping (or driving, or working or...whatevs :) )

(and if there is already a thread for this, sorries, couldn't find it in TSE...

I'm gonna post a few of my faves with some youtube vids for people to listen to if they like!

I <3 music and always like to find out about different types so I hope people will share!!!

I <3 Amanda Palmer. She is somewhat dark, (and also married to Neil Gaiman, one of my most beloved authors) and pioneered Brechtian Punk Cabaret. I've seen her twice and love her...it's a tossup between her and Tori Amos as my fave artists. Here are a few of her songs.

Let me know what you think, and let us know what types of tunes you like too!!!

In My Mind "In My Mind" Music Video - YouTube

Runs in the Family Amanda Palmer - Runs In The Family - YouTube

Astronaut Astronaut - "Who Killed Amanda Palmer" Video Series: Part 2 - YouTube

Amanda started her career with a group called the Dresden Dolls with Brian Viglione.

Here are a few of their tunes... I love them so much, and if you want to know what punk cabaret is this is a shining example....

Girl Anachronism The Dresden Dolls 'Girl Anachronism' music video - YouTube

Coin Operated Boy The Dresden Dolls 'Coin-Operated Boy' music video - YouTube

Backstabber The Dresden Dolls 'Backstabber' music video - YouTube

And finally, Amanda's latest video (with the Grand Theft Orchestra), for her new album, a cover of Nirvana's Polly, an incredibly powerful song and video. Caution, potentially triggering imagery...AMANDA PALMER & THE GRAND THEFT ORCHESTRA: "POLLY" (NIRVANA) OFFICIAL VIDEO - YouTube

And...because I love her sooooo much...

Figured I may as well throw some Tori vids on just to balance it out...

A Sorta Fairytale....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uho2NQw1GY

Bouncing Off of Clouds Tori Amos - Bouncing off Clouds - YouTube

Silent All These Years Tori Amos - Silent All These Years - YouTube

Winter Tori Amos "Winter" (1992) - YouTube

Omg, and this is a mashup of some of my faves, Tori, Massive Attack, PJ Harvey and Bjork.

It's so so so good!!

Last edited:

TravTech

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2012
PA
My musical tastes (I've been told) are quite ecclectic. I used to have my own DJ business that I ran as a hobby, so there's not a lot of music that I can't appreciate.

Been through many phases from classic rock to new age. I'm currently leaning towards chill / ambient and a little dubstep LOL.

Here's just a sample of one that's currently a favorite, I'll post some more as the thread progresses... Give it a minute or so, it's got a longish intro.

MisterTime - Garden Children - Sheehan, Rhian - - YouTube

Wren

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2012
Chi-town
Yay! Great music everyone!!

J-

Great Pumpkins Song, I've loved them for years, good choice!!

Trav!

I'm currently leaning towards chill / ambient and a little dubstep LOL.

Meh, I was a raver in the 90's...dubstep is just...so strange to me, gimme some house, some Colette or Translucent...or even early Keoki or frankie bones, or dieselboy or even bloody oakenfold sets...or Infected Mushroom, man I love them!

...Have you listened to much John B? Lots of folks who've moved from junglist to 'insert other d&b'ey' to grime to dubstep genre) like him...he's pretty awesome IMO.

Skrillex is a little white bread for me, saw him in Wisco at Stellar Spark (or whatever the rave at the Eagles Club on New Years is called now) but have you seen this video of his? Love it!!

Skrillex - First of the Year[/rul]- Skrillex [OFFICIAL] - YouTube (it's like, his most popular one, but it is pretty awesome...)

If anyone else has not seen this video, it is pretty great, even if you're not into the techno music, interesting story...

For ambient do you like the trip hoppy stuff, like Portishead, not their recent album, ofc, or Massive Attack or Morcheeba? I like them a lot. (Except for Third, from portishead, which was .....)

Kls-Didn't get a chance to check out yours, I'm actually tired for once, but I will tomorrow!

Cool tunes all!!

*snicker* I guess I am old- I have NO CLUE who ANY of those people are... LOL-
Of course, I live in a whole differnt world from alot of other folks.

Unli

Well, there's always time to learn!!! When ya stop learnin' ya start dyin'!

That's why I thought throwing links in could help! Anyone can check out the tunes and youtube is so appropriate for snowball samplin'

(and to keep it all Vapory what are you vaping while you're listening to your tunes??))

Right now I am listening to "A Tribute to R.E.M." by Vitamin String Quartet. They are an insane strings quartet (with changing members) who have covered hundreds and hundreds of popular bands from 80 on...think Enya to Marilyn Manso...and are super cool, they've got lots of vids on youtube if you wanna check em out. :)

...and vaping a super tasty orange cream that was a wondrous gift from Bia!!

And lastly, another wonderful Amanda video...watch it and tell me you're not in love!!!

Amanda covering "If You Want to Sing Out recorded entirely at one of her free ninja gigs...

Last edited:

TravTech

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2012
PA
First off, LOL @ Dubstep on laptop speakers. :laugh:

Not familiar with Portishead but I do have / like a few songs by Morcheeba and Massive Attack, so yeah, you're "getting me" along those lines.

Here's a dub step currently in my rotation: Freestylers - Cracks (Ft. Belle Humble) (Flux Pavilion Remix) - YouTube Based on that, Amazon keeps recommending Skillrex to me.

Was not familiar with the D&B classification, but thanks. Now I've got something new to explore. John B seems like something I'd enjoy in the car.

It reminds me some of this group Pretty Lights - Finally Moving Remix - Filling Up The City Skies [Disc 2] - YouTube (they did this long before Flo Rida was ever heard of).

Pretty Lights - I Know The Truth (Bonnaroo 2011 HD Video Recap) - YouTube (gotta have a sub for this one :D)

Wow! Didn't even know this was out there. Pretty Lights vs. Led Zeppelin HD Colorado Recap - Red Rocks & The Fillmore - YouTube I was a huge Zep fan growing up.

Edit: Holy crap,went and put the above Zep mix on the 5.1 with sub. It friggin rocks. Wish it was avaiable on their site for download.

Just about all of their stuff is available for free at their website Pretty Lights Music. I've always considered them to lean toward dub step and some of their stuff clearly is. But I think a lot of their stuff would fall under the D&B catagory as well.

A couple more favs (chill)
Sneaker Pimps - 6 Underground - Official Video [HD] - YouTube
Zero 7 - In The Waiting Line - YouTube

Did you mention Vaping? Hells ya! I like nothing better after a night of work than popping a DVD full of MP3's into the surround sound system, grabbing my Provari full of my favorite juice, and just spacing out. Doesn't take long for my cat to join me for some good scruffin.

And lastly, I like throwing this one out there for reaction / opinion (the video more so than the song itself) 'I FINK U FREEKY' by DIE ANTWOORD (Official) - YouTube

Last edited:

Wren

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2012
Chi-town
Not familiar with Portishead but I do have / like a few songs by Morcheeba and Massive Attack, so yeah, you're "getting me" along those lines.

If you like Massive Attack and Morcheeba you will totally love Portishead. Check out Live in Roseland NYC and Dummy, you'll totally dig them, they are awesome.

How bout Tricky, ever listened to him? He's awesome trip-hop...

One of my favorites...

I love Fleetwood Mac.

Speaking of awesome Blondes how about Blondie??? Who likes Debbie? I do!!!

wphsmike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2010
Orlando, FL
Stevie Nicks is my Goddess. I love/adore/almost worship her. Fleetwood Mac too, of course...but Stevie is my girl.

Imogen Heap, The Donnas, Evanescence, The Cranberries, POE! :drool:, Adele, Pat Benatar, Heart, Nikka Costa...I'll stop there and share:

You listed some great bands!

Stevie is my spirit animal, I swear. She is my goddess! I love her so much, which is why we're twins.

That's my favorite Fleetwood Mac song, my favorite Stevie Nicks song (hard choice, so many) is this:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread