Pizza Dave Delivers - An RDA Review - The Lion RDA by Vapor Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

pizzadave80

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2016
INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone Pizza Dave here, delivering a review of the Lion rda by Vapor Storm. This company has been around for a few years, and every time they release something it tends to stand out in the styling department. Often times, their devices are accompanied with wild color schemes that really pop. The Lion rda on the other hand, is a “normal” looking rda, which features a post less deck, side air flow, and is 24mm in diameter. It appears to be their first rebuildable, so let’s dive in and see how they fair shall we?

Disclaimer: This device was sent to me by Heaven Gifts for review.

WHAT YOU GET
  • 1 Lion RDA
  • 1 810 Resin Drip tip
  • 1 810 Delrin Drip tip
  • T-handle tool
  • Spare parts bag (screws, O-rings)
  • Set of Clapton coils
  • Cotton Pads

Available in Black, Red, Blue, and Gold.

STOCK SHOT
5ncLznE.jpg

PACKAGING
qNroCI8.jpg

UNBOXED
tupQbNv.jpg

BUILD DECK AND WICKING

The build deck on the Lion RDA is a raised, post-less deck, which has an X shape to it. It has cuts in the deck that take the air flow in the sides, and up under the coil. I don’t recall any decks that look quite like this, so I give them a win for being different. It is simple to build on, but since it is post-less you must precut your leads. To measure mine, I put the top cap next to my rda, held the coil next to the post and snipped it so the coil was tall enough to be above the deck but short enough to not hit anywhere. There is ample room for coils on this thing, so you could go really big if you wanted to. Wicking it up is nothing out of the ordinary, and I wicked mine, so the cotton just barely tucked into the juice well. Pictures of my build and wicking are in the gallery.

AIR FLOW

Like I mentioned above, the air flow on this RDA comes in the sides, right at the deck, and then up into your coil. When fully open, this is a very airy atomizer. Air flow adjustment is built into the top cap and has three steps to choke it down. It basically starts to close off the top part of the air inlet and gradually works its way bigger as you keep going. The top cap locks into place, so in order to get even air flow across the coil I ended up adjusting the air flow in full steps, but you can trial and error as you wish. It has wide open holes, with no porting or rounding holes, so has a turbulent feel to it. It offers a fair amount of adjustment, but not much can be done to smooth it out.

On a side note, the air flow inlet on this thing is very low on the sides. I had no issues with over dripping surprisingly, but it looks very leak prone at first glance. Since the post-less deck is elevated it has decent room underneath for liquid and helps to prevent over dripping.

PHOTO GALLERY

RK7q1ZV.jpg

ilixZJ8.jpg

dGFnBLH.jpg

WPlfWus.jpg

aDwTwgu.jpg

sdTZTRq.jpg

HOW IT VAPES / FINAL THOUGHTS

So, time to see how Vapor Storm’s first rebuildable is…. When I first got it, all I thought was “cheap, cheap cheap”. It feels cheap and looks cheap. I ended up with two of these (other one came in the ECO RDA kit being reviewed in a few weeks). The one I tested for this review has printed logos and feels lightweight and aluminum. The one that came with the Eco kit is heavier, probably SS, and has deeply etched logos and designs. Not sure why there is a difference when they share the same name, but it is what it is. Right away I went into this review feeling negative because it seems to dated and cheap, but I found that with the right build it can actually perform decently. Flavor is in the middle of the road. It isn’t amazing, but it doesn’t suck either, it just exists. It has some good things going for it. It is easy to build and wick. It comes with some really nice drip tips, which are needed since the design itself is kind of bland. It does have some cons packed in there too. The air flow is turbulent, the fit and finish is very cheap, and there is NO SQUONK PIN. One thing I found with the standard 510 on this RDA, is that the positive pin doesn’t protrude past the peek insulator very far. I didn’t feel comfortable testing it on a hybrid mechanical mod due to this. SOOO, what else can I say about this one? I can see this one being a good fit for a new builder if it can be found for super cheap. However, there are some well known RDAs that can be picked up for close to the same and they typically come with more spares and better fit and finish.

OVEN TEST

If this were to accidentally go into the pizza oven would I go out and get another? It is a pass for me. It feels cheap, not built to last, and there are better for just a few dollars more. (old VV pulse 24 for example)

PROS

• Easy to build and wick
  • Flavor can be decent if you play with it enough
  • Affordable price
  • Nice looking resin drip tips

CONS

• Build quality is cheap
  • Turbulent air flow
  • No squonk pin
  • Tin aluminum w/ printed designs
  • Shallow + pin

Thank you everyone for reading my review and thank you to Heaven Gifts for sending it my way for review. They indeed have it for the cheapest I have seen, marked as a pre-order of $18.

Pizza Dave – delivering real reviews with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item extensively for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used all products enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying them and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread