Pizza Dave Reviews - A Kinda Squonk Mod Review - The Asura by Hugo Vapor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pizzadave80

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2016
INTRODUCTION

_____________________________________________________________________________________

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Hello Everyone and welcome to Pizza Dave’s Vape reviews. Today I will be going over the Asura by Hugo Vapor. The Asura is a “hybrid” device which functions as a regulated, dual 18650 mod with a maximum wattage of 228w. The hybrid portion comes into play as it has a squonking attachment for the backside of the device, turning it into a dual battery squonker. Let’s dive right in and see if this unique device is worth your money, or if it is a bust.

Disclaimer: This device was sent to me by Sourcemore for review.

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 Asura 228w mod
  • 1 Asura squonking attachment
  • 1 USB cable
  • Paperwork

- Available in black, red, blue, purple, and yellow.

STOCK SHOT
XzuMGTx.jpg

PACKAGING
XiLDogN.jpg

UNBOXED
xi23y5N.jpg

MOD OVERVIEW

The Asura GT228w device is something I haven’t seen before. It is a dual battery device, but it also has a squonking attachment that magnetically attaches to the back of the mod. The attachment has a plug on top of it, which you can remove and stick into the mod if used as a non squonker to plug the port where the two mate. The squonk bottle is not overly large and I couldn’t find anywhere that states the capacity, but I am thinking it is roughly 6ml. The device has a .93” display, which shows all the information you need to know right across the face, but this display is VERY dim and was impossible to see on a snowy bright day. This is just one of many cons that popped up right out of the gate with this device. Right away I noticed paint missing where the squonk portion and the mod mated. I touched it up with some blue paint, but this just screams poor quality right out of the gate. Over the few weeks I used this I found paint starting to chip off the bottom of the mod as well. The biggest con I found is with squonking. IT DOESN’T WORK! I can get liquid to leave the bottle, but even with a massive amount of pressure on the bottle, I get very little liquid coming out of the 510. I removed my atomizers and squeezed as hard as I could and got hardly a trickle out of the squonk 510 pin. The last HUGE con is an absolutely terrible 510 pin. It is deep, and by the time your atomizer starts the thread on, you grab it with a couple of threads.

With these flaws pointed out, I am going to quickly give this a run down, as I honestly won’t recommend this to anyone based on my experience.

OPERATION

5 clicks of the fire turns this on and off. 3 clicks of the fire highlights the mode on top of the display where you can scroll through the different modes (TC, curves, bypass, power). 2 clicks of the fire button highlights a submenu below the mode. In power mode, this changes the preheat (soft, normal, power+). In TC this area is reserved for wattage and goes all the way to 228w. Holding the up and down buttons together locks out adjustment, but it will still fire. Pressing fire and the up button enters the main menu. The menu entails the following:

• Time Set
  • Brightness
  • Puff Counter
  • Stealth
  • TCR Set
  • Puff Time
  • Exit

It is a simple menu where each parameter is easy to figure out. It is a little odd to press that button combo to enter the main menu, but it works well on this device. It is a shame that the screen is so dark, because I really like this menu and operating system. It is easy to figure out and works great.

HOW IT VAPES

Well, I couldn’t use this as a squonker, so this how it vapes section is based on regular vaping only. I used this mostly as a wattage only device and it actually works well. The buttons feel great, and the fire button is just the right amount of clicky for me. It never failed me during wattage tests at all. The size and shape in hand feels good in non squonk mode, but it is a large, boxy mod similar to a gbox200 when in squonk mod. I tested out the TC, and it doesn’t really work. I ran it with SS316 and it backed off the power a little bit, but never backed it off to prevent dry hits or cotton burning. Maybe playing with TCR would work, but I was so frustrated with this device and all the cons, I didn’t even feel like messing with making it work.

PHOTO ALBUM

GzPb0Jq.jpg

ErXfelk.jpg

vVF663A.jpg

0WWglTy.jpg

tSbEtGQ.jpg

BzJWt8V.jpg

fdXCEOv.jpg

tKR6fKf.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS

This device is full of cons. The squonk system didn’t squonk. The 510 pin is just terrible. The screen is super dim (even on max brightness). The paint chips away. The only things I can find as positives is that it has a nice main display and menu (when you can see it), the buttons feel decent, and the battery door is solidly done with a latch on the hinging door. This worked fine as a wattage device, but TC didn’t work well at all. It’s just not a good device. It feels like they focused on making something cool and unique, but then didn’t care about things that really matter. I would have been all on board if the paint was good, the 510 was good, and the squonking system works! It is a great idea. It would have given people a decent wattage mode, with the ability to try squonking without having to go out and get an entirely new device. However, Hugo failed completely on this device and I will tell everyone to stay away, stay far away.

OVEN TEST: If this accidentally went into the pizza oven, would I get another? I ASURA you I would let it burn.

PROS

• Good wattage performance (overrated max wattage I’m sure)
  • Buttons feel good and clicky
  • Menu and display are well laid out
  • Battery door is solid

CONS

• Paint is flake friendly
  • Screen is too dark
  • Squonk system doesn’t work
  • AWFUL 510 pin
  • Big size with squonk attachment

Thank you all for reading and thank you to Sourcemore for sending it my way for review! If this didn’t scare you, they have it for $43.

Pizza Dave – Delivering real reviews, with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread