Pizza Dave Reviews - The Coil-Master Mini V2 tool kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

pizzadave80

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2016
Hello everybody, welcome to Pizza Dave’s vape reviews. Today I will be going over everything you need to know about Coil-Master DIY Mini V2 Kit. I you have been rebuilding you own atomizers, then there is a good chance that you either own or have thought about owning a Coil-Master tool kit. With their latest release, the DIY Mini V2 kit, you get all the basic tools needed to start building your own coils. I spent 3 weeks using this for all my rebuilding, so I have a good feel for what it’s all about. This tool set was sent to me by Coil-Master for review.

oJNpefT.jpg

WHAT YOU GET

- 1 Ceramic Tweezers

- 1 Diagonal Stainless Tweezers

- 1 Mini Diagonal Pliers

- 1 Stainless Steel Folding Scissors

- 1 Multifunction Screwdriver body

- 4 Screwdriver attachments (Flat, Phillips, and two sizes of Allen keys) w/ built in coil winding tools

y8amtlP.jpg

TOOL REVIEW

Rather than just tell you what I think of this kit, I am going to talk about each component and give a final summary at the bottom.

CERAMIC TWEEZERS

There isn’t much to say about these tweezers as they are the run of the mill needle nose style that has nothing special about them. It is my belief that everyone should have a set of these in their tool kit. I find it most beneficial for beginners who may not make the best coils out of the box, as this allows the user to heat the coils to form them to perfection. However, these are great for building in awkward decks that require a lot of love to get them to sit just right. These are a decent set of ceramic tweezers, even with their compact stature.

DIAGONAL TWEEZERS

I never use to use these up until recently and find them to be extra helpful for wicking. They do a great job of thinning the cotton and tucking them in just right. These are a bit shorter than a previous set I have used, but they work great none the less.

MINI DIAGONAL PLIERS

These are also a must for snipping the coils during the coiling and build process. However, these don’t hold up to larger builds all that well. I am used to using a larger type from a competitor and like them much much better. I never wanted to use these ones much, as they struggled to snip fused stainless Claptons without a struggle. They work fine for smaller wire builds, just not harder metals.

STAINLESS STEEL FOLDING SCISSORS

Scissors are a necessity for cutting cotton, but I never could get into using these baby things. They don’t cut that great, and they are just so awkward to use due to how small they are.

SCREWDRIVER/COILING TOOLS

Instead of supplying multiple screw drivers and separate coiling rods, Coil-Master opted to go with an all in one solution here. Each screw driver tip also has marked diameters for making coils. They work just fine for hand wrapping coils, but I do have one grip with them. Many times, I use my coil tools to hold my coils in a build deck, but what happens when the size you need is also the tip you need to tighten the post screws? It requires the user to have some other tools beyond this, and this is a fail in my opinion and makes this kit incomplete for all scenarios.

upp5Ik2.jpg

BONUS REVIEW – COIL-MASTER PRO COTTON

Coil-Master also sent me a pack of their pro cotton. I have used several forms of cotton over the years, and like many brands this comes as stranded cotton fibers in a roll like fashion. This, however is pleasantly surprising. I found that it performs quite well. The cotton is in strait lines and not twisted or balled up. These straight lines aid the capillary action of the liquid to soak up between the voids in the fibers and travel efficiently to your coils. I used this on rdas, squonk rdas, and rtas, and never ran into any issues. It is incredible soft and is easy to work with as well which is great for beginners and experts alike. It may not be the cheapest cotton I have used, but it works just fine!

1MrisIR.jpg

LL1aTAb.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS

I was able to find a few cons with this kit, but part of that could be because I have been using some other kits and have garnered all the tools I need and am used to over time. I may just be stuck in my ways with what tools I like to use. I had some issues with the cutting pliers not working the best on larger or more advanced builds, but at least they work. I have done quite a few builds, and they seem to be holding up nicely even when cutting a lot of stainless steel core builds. The issue I ran into where the screwdriver head I need is also the same as the coiling tool within is something I only ran into a few times, but I would rather use a larger tool to hold onto my coil instead of just holding a tip insert. This may just be my style building, but I immediately went back to using my step-down coil rod to wrap and hold coils in the deck and used the supplied multi-screwdriver simply……as a screwdriver. I don’t see this kit being a huge benefit for builders who already have quite a few tools, but it is worth picking up as a beginner or someone that has been getting by using bargain barn tools to build their coils.

TOOL KIT PROS

- Compact tool set for on the go

- Price is justified by the amount of high quality tools within

- Great for travel

- Great for beginners!

- This kit isn’t bloated up with tools that I would never use

- Screw driver is very ergonomic

- As silly as it is….the hard case looks cool on my vape bench

PRO COTTON PROS

- It wicks well, and is easy to work with

TOOL KIT CONS

- Cutting pliers struggled with large advanced builds

- Screw drivers with built in coil rods required an extra set of tools to tighten post screws in some scenarios.

PRO COTTON CONS

- Seems a bit on the pricey side.

Thank you to everyone for reading my review and thank you to Coil-Master for sending it my way for review. I found this kit all over the internet for $15-20. Every one of my local shops is getting this in for $20 as well, so that is a bonus. Many tool kits before this were $40+ and had several tools that I would never need.

Pizza Dave – Delivering real reviews with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread