Please tell me a little about AW IMR batteries...

Status
Not open for further replies.

atom48

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2009
Colorado
(I don't know whether this is the right forum to post this or not, as it may be more general than just about my Reo mini. If so, please move as appropriate.)

I received my Reo Mini on Saturday. (Great little device, by the way.) I also purchased 4 of the AW IMR 14500 3.7v batteries that are recommended, a Pila charger (supposedly the best, from what I've read), and a cheapy multimeter (...just cause everyone said you should have one).

Short story long:

So, after charging the batteries, I started vaping. First I tried cartos (Boge 2.0) then a 510 LR 1.5 atty. (I haven't used an atty for a year.) With trying to learn squonking and running into all kinds of clogging or flooding issues, the atty started getting really hot and the draw on the mini was really tough. So, I switched batteries. Well, I thought I would just test the battery to see how many volts it was registering at that point. "Yikes," I said as it tested out at 2.5 volts.

Getting to my question:

I've used batteries all my life (like we all have), and never "tested" any of them. I used them 'til they died and either pitched the non-rechargable ones or recharged the ones that were rechargeable.. However, I didn't know anything about OVER-discharging...and I still don't. That's what I need to know about the AW IMR's (supposedly safe-chemistry).

Can you run these batteries down to nothing in the mini, or do you have a particular point when you switch them out? I did the "yikes" because I'd read in another forum that anything below 2.5v constituted over-discharge, and it could not only be harmful to the battery, but could also be harmful to you!! I've never dealt with a battery that I couldn't just use until dead. (And please don't get too technical on me...this is my first mod. :blush: )

Thanks!!

Delilah718

Vape Enthusiast
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2011
In the clouds
(I don't know whether this is the right forum to post this or not, as it may be more general than just about my Reo mini. If so, please move as appropriate.)

I received my Reo Mini on Saturday. (Great little device, by the way.) I also purchased 4 of the AW IMR 14500 3.7v batteries that are recommended, a Pila charger (supposedly the best, from what I've read), and a cheapy multimeter (...just cause everyone said you should have one).

Short story long:

So, after charging the batteries, I started vaping. First I tried cartos (Boge 2.0) then a 510 LR 1.5 atty. (I haven't used an atty for a year.) With trying to learn squonking and running into all kinds of clogging or flooding issues, the atty started getting really hot and the draw on the mini was really tough. So, I switched batteries. Well, I thought I would just test the battery to see how many volts it was registering at that point. "Yikes," I said as it tested out at 2.5 volts.

Getting to my question:

I've used batteries all my life (like we all have), and never "tested" any of them. I used them 'til they died and either pitched the non-rechargable ones or recharged the ones that were rechargeable.. However, I didn't know anything about OVER-discharging...and I still don't. That's what I need to know about the AW IMR's (supposedly safe-chemistry).

Can you run these batteries down to nothing in the mini, or do you have a particular point when you switch them out? I did the "yikes" because I'd read in another forum that anything below 2.5v constituted over-discharge, and it could not only be harmful to the battery, but could also be harmful to you!! I've never dealt with a battery that I couldn't just use until dead. (And please don't get too technical on me...this is my first mod. :blush: )

Thanks!!

Hi atom48 -- Congrats again on your REO. I use only the AW IMR batteries on my REOS because that's what is recommended by the ModMaster himself. I like a warmer vape so I will use the battery until my vape starts to cool off -- even though it has not fully discharged. I replace it with a fresh battery and I get that warm feeling again :D

I have had my original 3 AW IMR batteries for nearly 11 months and they are still going strong. I have an inexpensive Trustfire charger, and I have sometimes forgotten to remove them when they're fully charged and am happy to report no negative effects :D

Happy Vaping and Squonk on! :laugh:

Last edited:

atom48

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2009
Colorado
Thanks, Delilah! But have you ever vaped them until they died? Then recharged them. I've used RN4081, KR808s, and eGo batteries up until now. I know that generally the proprietary batteries are regulated and you can run them until they just turn themselves off. But I'm a little concerned about the IMRs, because it seems that only indication that they should be recharged is that you're not getting as good of a vape. With all the difficulty I've been having with cartos and attys anyway, I just wanted to be safe. On the other hand, I also don't want to always have to carry a multimeter around with me to determine if I've developed a problem.

atom48

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2009
Colorado
Thanks, Mudflap and mlinky. Yes, my carto and atty were both still firing. The atty got really hot, and so did the back of my Reo, but that was when I checked the battery. I recharged the battery and am using it today...even though I didn't know what would happen. I guess IMRs just aren't like other batteries. I think this needs to be pointed out somewhere, because I tend to think most mod noobies are like me, and think the batteries will just turn off when they're done, and that's when you put in new. I didn't realize I should really be timing myself or something.

Mudflap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Well atom, you're probably the exception to the rule. I use LR attys and cartos and can tell by the vape when they're in the 3.8 to 3.9 volt range. It's just less satisfying to me. From what I've read, most other Reo users can also tell when their battery has discharged enough to justify swapping for a fresh one.

And when you mention the back of your Reo getting hot, I started thinking it was a short circuit that miraculously didn't pop the atty. IMR batteries get warm or even hot when they're allowed to continuously discharge for extended periods of time. Keep an eye on that battery and be careful. It's only a 6 to 7 dollar battery after all.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
You dont have much to worry about, the AW IMR is about the safest Batt chemistry going right now for PV's and I haven't ever heard of anyone blowing one yet. That doesnt mean it cant happen but IMR is of a very safe chemistry. I tend to carry extra Batts though and change mine out when they hit about 3.9v in my Reo's and find it's a good time to swap a new one in the Reo's. You will get to know how they run in your Mini by the vape you get, the Batt gradually drops in voltage kind of like this below =

4.2V – 100%
4.1V – 87%
4.0V – 75%
3.9V – 55%
3.8V – 30%
3.5V – 0%

atom48

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2009
Colorado
Thanks, Mudflap and mwa. When things are working well I usually tell also that it's time to change batteries, and can change them out before they die. But at least they do just die and I've never thought anything about it. But as I explained earlier, the other equipment wasn't cooperating, either, so it was more of an attempt to isolate the problems that I discovered that I'd discharged the battery to the point that I could have had a real problem...at least from what I've read over on the candlepowerforum. It scared me a little, and that's why I posted the question. Also, because I've not seen anything posted about over-discharge. Usually, it's just been a warning NOT to over-discharge, or it's been a shorting issue. I guess I just naively thought batteries knew what they were doin', so I didn't have to worry about them. :)

Now that I know you can't (or shouldn't) let, or expect, IMRs to act like other more common batteries, I'll watch a lot more carefully.

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
I use the AW IMR 14500's in my Mini and the AW IMR 18650 1600 mah in my Grand. I run them completely dead every day. Have been for almost a year. I have also left them on the Trustfire multicharger for days on end. No problems with them at all.

Bones1274,

I would be a bit careful though leaving them on the charger for days at a time, even though the Batt goes into a trickle charge cycle once the power cell is fully charged. just as safety precaution I would try not to do that. Another good thing to do with Batts to help there life span is to not pull them right out of your PV and charge them right away and same with using them as soon as they are fully charged . It's good to give them a while before charging them once the power cell has depleted and same once it is fully charged. I have multiple pairs and set them a side after use and after the charge, this helps with lifespan and longevity. So many people use the same 2 Batts all the time after time after time, I dont, and stick to giving them a breather in between use and charges.

bones1274

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2010
florida
Bones1274,

I would be a bit careful though leaving them on the charger for days at a time, even though the Batt goes into a trickle charge cycle once the power cell is fully charged. just as safety precaution I would try not to do that. Another good thing to do with Batts to help there life span is to not pull them right out of your PV and charge them right away and same with using them as soon as they are fully charged . It's good to give them a while before charging them once the power cell has depleted and same once it is fully charged. I have multiple pairs and set them a side after use and after the charge, this helps with lifespan and longevity. So many people use the same 2 Batts all the time after time after time, I dont, and stick to giving them a breather in between use and charges.

Before I switched to 6v, I just had the two 18650's. As soon as one was dead I would pull the fresh one off the charger and put the dead one on. I would get a day and a half out of the battery before it needed to be swapped. Been rotating the two batteries for almost and year and they still hit just as hard as new an still last a day and a half. Guess I have just been lucky....

davelog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2011
Phoenix
www.davelog.com
As someone who has lost everything to a fire (not battery related!), you can never be too conscious of fire safety. Chargers aren't storage boxes, pull those bad boys off once they're full. I have all my chargers on a power strip, and once the batteries are charged, they come out of the chargers and I kill the power to all of 'em with the switch on the strip.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Before I switched to 6v, I just had the two 18650's. As soon as one was dead I would pull the fresh one off the charger and put the dead one on. I would get a day and a half out of the battery before it needed to be swapped. Been rotating the two batteries for almost and year and they still hit just as hard as new an still last a day and a half. Guess I have just been lucky....

Well, I have 18650's that are approaching 3yrs old now, I never said you couldnt do it your way, I just stated it's good to give them a rest in between usage. I tend to believe Battery university findings =
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_charge_when_to_charge_table

I'm not looking for a disagreement only stating facts man, deep discharges wear the Battery down faster. and it's not a good thing leaving your Batts on the charger, nor is it to run them till there dead and then slam them right on the charger and then right back into the PV.

This is also a good read = http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

Last edited by a moderator:

bones1274

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2010
florida
Well, I have 18650's that are approaching 3yrs old now, I never said you couldnt do it your way, I just stated it's good to give them a rest in between usage. I tend to believe Battery university findings =
Frequetly Asked Questions on How to Charge Batteries

I'm not looking for a disagreement only stating facts man, deep discharges wear the Battery down faster. and it's not a good thing leaving your Batts on the charger, nor is it to run them till there dead and then slam them right on the charger and then right back into the PV.

This is also a good read = Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

Not looking for a disagreement either. Its all Good! :2cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread