Points and such

Status
Not open for further replies.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
I've been a poster on forums for a number of years and often times joined up to lend a hand. When the internet was still in adolesence I noticed lots of how to posts. I always marvelled that somebody took the time to explain why my refrigerator squeeled, or my car over heated... ac busted? Internet. Roof vent whirlybird growling? Internet. What's a good bicycle inner tube? Internet.

One day I found I have the spare time to pay it forward at times. I noticed at forums I'd read a lot but not have a comment. Responding "thanks" got some places accusing folks of trying to drive up their post count. Others said "no like button available because this aint facebook".

So how would one know if their view on a matter or perhaps instructions was actually helping anybody? When I arrived here I got some notifications of "like" or "informative" etc. I thought "now that is alllll right". Each one makes me smile.

Then one day I got a trophy.... then another. Then I noticed the word "full member", then "senior"....

So with all of that said I pondered "where is it written or is it written where members reach milestones". I'm not looking to boost ratings or any of that sort of thing. I'm just curious to know what other trophies are out there, when does a rating change from "new" to "full" to "senior" etc? If I decide to trade, at what point is that allowed? Stuff like that. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

If this is off base or not allowed I'll humbly take the chin music and avoid that mistake again.

But I wanted to say the format here is awesome and I like the orderly layout. Instead of standing out like storm troopers, the moderation seems to seamlessy blend in.

One more thing I noticed was the number of closed threads. Being an old school bandwidth saver I tended to bump old threads at other forums after searches to avoid rehashing old subjects with new threads. Sometimes I like to bring back old threads to see how views have changed or evolved.

Anyway, thanks for reading this.

Last edited:

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
I've been a poster on forums for a number of years and often times joined up to lend a hand. When the internet was still in adolesence I noticed lots of how to posts. I always marvelled that somebody took the time to explain why my refrigerator squeeled, or my car over heated... ac busted? Internet. Roof vent whirlybird growling? Internet. What's a good bicycle inner tube? Internet.

One day I found I have the spare time to pay it forward at times. I noticed at forums I'd read a lot but not have a comment. Responding "thanks" got some places accusing folks of trying to drive up their post count. Others said "no like button available because this aint facebook".

So how would one know if their view on a matter or perhaps instructions was actually helping anybody? When I arrived here I got some notifications of "like" or "informative" etc. I thought "now that is alllll right". Each one makes me smile.

Then one day I got a trophy.... then another. Then I noticed the word "full member", then "senior"....

So with all of that said I pondered "where is it written or is it written where members reach milestones". I'm not looking to boost ratings or any of that sort of thing. I'm just curious to know what other trophies are out there, when does a rating change from "new" to "full" to "senior" etc? If I decide to trade, at what point is that allowed? Stuff like that. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

If this is off base or not allowed I'll humbly take the chin music and avoid that mistake again.

But I wanted to say the format here is awesome and I like the orderly layout. Instead of standing out like storm troopers, the moderation seems to seamlessy blend in.

One more thing I noticed was the number of closed threads. Being an old school bandwidth saver I tended to bump old threads at other forums after searches to avoid rehashing old subjects with new threads. Sometimes I like to bring back old threads to see how views have changed or evolved.

Anyway, thanks for reading this.
I dont put any value on point systems for users,, some people have figured out or gained points per post,, and those posts weren't good/helpful posts,, often arguing or highjacking threads.(poster may be the leader in the ignores /troll status too)

dont worry about it imho,, you add value

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread