Status
Not open for further replies.

kingdal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2012
The Far Side
Hello Reonauts!

Since I'm now obsessed with my Reos, I decided to try and get a mirror polish on the tumbled door of my Mini. First I tried applying Mothers Mag with a cotton cloth, after 10 min I'm not really seeing a difference. Then I tried sanding with 600 grit then 1000 grit followed by a cloth polishing wheel on a dremel, again with Mothers. Tiny bit shinier after 10 min but not really very visible, you gotta look really really close to be able to tell.

Looked up a bunch of posts and videos on youtube and nothing I saw tells me that I need to spend ages polishing this. Pretty much everyone seems to get a very noticeable improvement after what looks to be a short time. Anyone have any ideas how I should do this?

Also, it says on the bottle of Mothers that the cream should turn dark when applied. Mine stayed the same light color throughout. So it occurs to me that maybe I don't have a tumbled door. Can someone confirm what finish this door is? Its off a mini bought in 2012.

20140412_174905_1_resized.jpg

TIA

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the suggestion Karen. Sanding may be too much trouble. Got a blemished tumbled raw door incoming :p

Looking at your pic again, that might be a Anodized Silver door. Some of the anodizing back then was very thin. You could still see the tumbled marks.

I have a Silver Grand from then and it looks Tumbled.

First pic is Silver Anodized, second is Tumbled Raw

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago

Looking at your pic again, that might be a Anodized Silver door. Some of the anodizing back then was very thin. You could still see the tumbled marks.

I have a Silver Grand from then and it looks Tumbled.

First pic is Silver Anodized, second is Tumbled Raw

that is one of the best photos of the tumbled finish I've seen.

ratchet62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2013
USA
For the older "silver" REO, I suspect that it is really Clear Anodized. Its the same process as a colored adodized, only no color is added.

Anodizing is rather hard. Its very hard on tooling such as drill bits, and very resistant to scratching. Therefore, it will require a lot of work to sand off the anodization in preparation for a polish.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
For the older "silver" REO, I suspect that it is really Clear Anodized. Its the same process as a colored adodized, only no color is added.

Anodizing is rather hard. Its very hard on tooling such as drill bits, and very resistant to scratching. Therefore, it will require a lot of work to sand off the anodization in preparation for a polish.

The early Silver Anodized was silver. You could not see the tumbled marks. So I say silver color was added. Different anodizers would anodize with thicker results. The runs of anodized varied in thickness.

I have two Purple Grands, one made in 2011 and one in 2013. I can see the difference in the depth of the anodizing. The older one has no tumbled marks showing. The later one you can barely see the tumbled marks.

ratchet62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2013
USA
The early Silver Anodized was silver. You could not see the tumbled marks. So I say silver color was added. Different anodizers would anodize with thicker results. The runs of anodized varied in thickness.

I have two Purple Grands, one made in 2011 and one in 2013. I can see the difference in the depth of the anodizing. The older one has no tumbled marks showing. The later one you can barely see the tumbled marks.

Having not really seen a silver, I can't say for sure, so Karen is probably correct. I was mainly looking at the pics from OP, and with the tumble marks showing, felt it was probably a clear anodized. Clear anodize creates a gloss that will make the aluminum appear more silver.

As for variations in anodize thickness, you can get varying results, which would explain the appearance of tumble marks.

My main point, since I seemed to wandered a bit, is that anodization is very hard to sand off and then polish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread