Power control

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't completely understand power control... I currently have two rigs, an aspire Atlantis on a CF sub ohm battery and a Kanger sub tank on a smok xpro m45. Obviously the aspire products works best teamed up but the kanger says 15 to 30 watts. I have some electrical background and i know that some situations call for precision power control while others are more lax. From learning with an old vision spinner i know not to over power a coil. But is it possible to under power? Even though the kanger calls for 15-30 watts, I'm comfortable with the vape i get from 6 watts. Can i damage my coil?

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I don't completely understand power control... I currently have two rigs, an aspire Atlantis on a CF sub ohm battery and a Kanger sub tank on a smok xpro m45. Obviously the aspire products works best teamed up but the kanger says 15 to 30 watts. I have some electrical background and i know that some situations call for precision power control while others are more lax. From learning with an old vision spinner i know not to over power a coil. But is it possible to under power? Even though the kanger calls for 15-30 watts, I'm comfortable with the vape i get from 6 watts. Can i damage my coil?

Underpowered is objective, not subjective. Obviously there are some devices that simply won't produce any measurable vapor at low power levels, but it's up to you to decide what's enough.

And as to damage, no, low power levels won't damage a coil.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

Hi danonroof and welcome to ECF :)

Power (watts) is basically the amount of heat you put into your atty. Temperature inside the atty is influenced by this to some degree, but it's also influenced by air flow, draw speed, wire gauge and the speed of your wicking.

You can't hurt your gear by using lower power.

Vape it the way it works best for you :thumb:

carrielsal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
I'm vaping a Kanger Subtank with a 1.2 ohm coil on an iStick 30W right now. I vape around 14W. I just lowered my power down to 6W. It produces some vapor and flavor is reduced. Now that doesn't mean it's bad. My daughter uses eGo style twists with a Kanger Aerotank. She thinks my devices produce too much vapor.

I'm vaping a Kanger Subtank with a 1.2 ohm coil on an iStick 30W right now. I vape around 14W. I just lowered my power down to 6W. It produces some vapor and flavor is reduced. Now that doesn't mean it's bad. My daughter uses eGo style twists with a Kanger Aerotank. She thinks my devices produce too much vapor.

I've got the same tank but with the .5ohm coil and I'm making clouds so thick i can't see my phone.

How is the taste affected by the wattage? Will it just be less vapor? Or also less taste?

I also make sure not to buy commercial liquids. The guy that makes my liquids knows how to bring out the flavor so even at low wattage I'm still getting plenty of flavor and plenty of vape. Golden Vapors of Cleveland TN, I live an hour from him amd even with the 10 or so shops near me I'll still make the drive. And i just found out he will ship. Goldenvapors.com

this guy is a OCD but in a good way he makes excellent product

thank you for the quick test.

beez0527

SQUONKAHOLIC
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2014
Etna,OH

Which coil are you using and it never hurts to under power as others have stated it will most likely make your coils last longer. Vaping is all about personal preference as no one can tell you what you like, thats what makes vaping so great you can customize to your needs as long as your not using analogs thats all that matters. Welcome to ECF and enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread