Premade coils - Welded versus non-welded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M_DuBb716

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
From my understanding..

They sometimes use "Non-Resistant" wire for the legs of the coil, so that only the actual coil heats up. They weld this "NR" wire to the coil so that the legs don't heat up and burn the grommet, causing a bad taste and smell that's hard to wash away.

If you build a properly built & tensioned microcoil or regular coil, you don't have to really worry about "hot legs" burning the grommet too much anyways

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
From my understanding..

They sometimes use "Non-Resistant" wire for the legs of the coil, so that only the actual coil heats up. They weld this "NR" wire to the coil so that the legs don't heat up and burn the grommet, causing a bad taste and smell that's hard to wash away.

If you build a properly built & tensioned microcoil or regular coil, you don't have to really worry about "hot legs" burning the grommet too much anyways

Thanks M, for stating the obvious. It needs to be stated. NR wire yes can be used to reduce the risk of shorting. It is not however intended to mask the common problems resulting in shorts prevalent in most of our devices. It is caused by improperly built coils. Coils that do not hold to a correct geometric symmetry that promotes efficient electron flow. That is all.

Our benevolent producers and suppliers would have us believe by the act of omission of not telling us that this is ok. And that in part is why many of us assume it. As well the common repetition of a method that would not be used anywhere else. Anywhere! So I constantly pose the question — What piece of modern electronics would you pay a nickel for that contained a hand wound coil?

(You'd be surprised how many people baffled continue in their suspension of disbelief to answer in the affirmative…before they actually think about the question.)

Symmetrical winding on a screw for example or subsequently contact (micro) coils all started to move vaping towards proper electrical symmetry. But tension winding makes machine precision possible and, using simple physics, attainable by the average person as illustrated in this photo…

313893d1394460029-protank-cotton-rebuild-way-i-do-img_0535a.jpg

The fact remains that shorts are caused by asymmetry in the coil! NR leads do not, anymore than silicone grommets, eliminate shorts and the inefficient gunky wasteful vape they produce. Nor battery drain and wasted battery cycles. Nor the juice which is precious to us. Nor our time which is even more so.

The only valid purpose for NR wire is to reduce the incidence of shorting where wires are so channeled by the design that they are exposed to shorting. No other reason.

It is not the rationale for accepting a defective electrical efficiency or a substitute for adequate rebuilding knowledge.

On that note let me link to the OP's, M_DuBb716' excellent thread...http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/clearomizers/486794-protank-microcoil-discussion.html where real technical answers can be found on how to solve most shorting through some rather simple techniques.

I thank you for your contribution M.

Happy Easter all, and good luck.

:)

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I plan on rewicking / recoiling my T3s and Aro heads. I see that both welded and non-welded pre-made coils with wicks are available. Is there any advantage to having a coil where the legs are a different metal?

Thanks,

Hi P97, and Happy Easter. I just posted an answer (reasons) re your post above. I'd like to save you a heck of a lot of time and direct you also to Metalhed's outstanding thread… http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tips-tricks/463771-protank-cotton-rebuild-way-i-do.html. It covers the fundamentals of coil creation, localization, termination and later tension winding.

289717d1388483765-i-just-rebuilt-kanger-t3-base-img_0567a.jpg

I think you will find the essentials there to produce an awesome vape quickly and efficiently. One that just works.

Good luck P.

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I plan on rewicking / recoiling my T3s and Aro heads. I see that both welded and non-welded pre-made coils with wicks are available. Is there any advantage to having a coil where the legs are a different metal?

Thanks,

non-welded? you mean straight resistance, or nr-r-nr non-welded?

Those of us that wrap our own coils are using straight resistance wire; the resistance wire gets hot, so the contact point where the resistance wire is compressed by the silicone/rubber insulator can get burnt by the hot resistance wire.

nr= non-resistive.

With nr-r-nr welded coils, the resistance wire is in the coiled part of the coil, and the leads going down to the insulator is conducting wire and therefore does not get as hot as the resistance wire.

If the manufacurer doesn't actually weld the coil but only puts solder, then there's going to be a problem; you don't want to be vaping solder; I suppose before you put the coil in you can dry burn it with a torch or lighter and get it red hot to make sure it is really welded together not just soldered

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
non-welded? you mean straight resistance, or nr-r-nr non-welded?

I think he simply meant the difference betw

If the manufacurer doesn't actually weld the coil but only puts solder, then there's going to be a problem; you don't want to be vaping solder...

But you bring up a very important point here. And, no I don't. But then again, how would anyone even know these days? The winds are hidden in hard to access (for the average user) "carto's". So we're kind of at their mercy, aren't we? To know if the stuff even works, right? I know who a BOGE is, or a SMOK…but do you know where your clearo NR coil cartridge came from? And what is the composition of its constituents?

Like I said, good point.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread