Problem with Prodigy 3.1 and Cartos

Status
Not open for further replies.

MantisFang

May 8, 2011
Arkansas
I am relatively new to the E-Cig scene and have already converted my other "habits" to vapor and have wanted to jump in to the fray for some time now. I have been enjoying Square Disposable E-cigs for awhile (6.99 from 7-11) Love those, but figured i can get the same or better for much cheaper with a reusable e-cig kit.

I embarked upon the next phase of my E-Cig journey with a Prodigy 3.1 6v. ,4 Boge Low Resistance 510 Cartomizers, 4 BE510 High Resistance Cartomizers, And a few e-liquids: Tonic USA Caseys Clove and Blue Mist Vapor's Blueberry.

I got decent vapor with the BE510 High Resistance Cart and the Blue Mist Blueberry but after a few puffs noticed a distracting and unpleasant Metallic taste filling up my mouth.. As if some voltage or cart compatibility issue was present. From there, I tried the Caseys Clove in another BE510 High Resistance Cart and had the same problem. The flavor was right but the metallic taste was really making it hard to vape for more than a few puffs before wanting to go back to my Square disposable cigs. I filled a Boge Low Resistance 510 Carto with some Blue Mist Maple Bacon and noticed a strong burnt flavor with the maple that made me think I had a bad cart or an incompatibility with my Prodigy3.1 6V. After throwing up my Wendys cheeseburger and fries from that day I thought I may need some help...

I'm saving my only atomizer that came with the Prodigy for the House Of Vapor Marlboro flavor that is coming in the mail so I still have a little hope for a pleasant vaping experience. I was thinking maybe Joye 510 Cartomizer (out of stock) or Blank/Refillable Atomz from puresmoker may give me better results?

Before I buy some more blank cartos I will wait for some response from the Vets here to guide me in my plight and hopefully avoid further disappointment.

I'm at the point where I'm back to my Square disposable e-cigs and need some input please.. What am i doing wrong? :(

Thanks

Last edited:

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
I don't think you are doing anything wrong.

All cartomizers/atomizers tend to color the taste of juice differently. It may take time to find a combo you like. Just because something reviews strongly, or others like it, doesn't mean you will.

For instance, I vape hardcore, but hate high voltage systems. I also prefer atomizers over cartomizers. But that is a *taste* issue.

Cignot has the Joye 510 cartomizers. They vape very well but are a little short on lifespan. You might also try the 510 tank with a mega cartridge. But those ideas are subject to my personal taste. For those two suggestions you are best to run at 3.7 volt.

Dripping on a 510/901 atty might also be an option (at any voltage). Try a few things. Sooner or later you will find a sweet spot. The prodigy is good hardware.

MantisFang

May 8, 2011
Arkansas
Thanks for the reply Cozz,

Low Voltage huh? What would you say makes you prefer the 3.7 volt over the 6 volt?

Considering I bought the Prodigy 6v and it is highly customizable, I could conceivably buy a 3.7 volt piece to swap out of my Prodigy to convert it to a 3.7 volt unit? Or simply a large 3.7 volt battery to supplement the two 3.2 volt rcr123a that I received from the 6v kit?

All of your tips/preference in voltage, usage and e-liquid are greatly appreciated

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
Thanks for the reply Cozz,

Low Voltage huh? What would you say makes you prefer the 3.7 volt over the 6 volt?

Considering I bought the Prodigy 6v and it is highly customizable, I could conceivably buy a 3.7 volt piece to swap out of my Prodigy to convert it to a 3.7 volt unit? Or simply a large 3.7 volt battery to supplement the two 3.2 volt rcr123a that I received from the 6v kit?

All of your tips/preference in voltage, usage and e-liquid are greatly appreciated

It's a taste issue. There's no right way.

If you are getting a metallic taste at 6 volts, 3.7 may be better. I only get a metallic taste off of high voltage or badly wicking 3.7 volt systems. CE2 cartomizers taste like metal to me. Until you put them in a MAP tank. Then they rock.

So I think it's a question of trying a few things and seeing where your tastes fall.

I made the connection to voltage, because of your taste experience. If it happens to be the same as mine, voltage could be an issue.

GregH

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
Georgia USA
The Prodigy V3 is either a 6v (with 2 RCR123a LiFePO4s) or 3.7v (with 1 17670). I've had one for almost a year now, and it's hands-down my favorite device.

Unless I read your original post wrong, the problem you're having with the Boges is that they're Low Resistance and you're running them at 6v. So you're burning them. Actually, I'm surprised you didn't pop it outright. So get a 17670 battery (Pure Smoker sells them) for those cartos. For your standard or high resistance cartos, you're fine at 6v. The taste you're describing makes me think that you don't have them wet enough.

lawnman3

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
largo fl
yes the prodigy v.3 is a great battery mod even at 3.7 volts with a lr 510 atty .. or carto .. i use a v.3 at 6 volts with a boge 510 carto and 100% vg juice ... its a diffrent warmer vapor than most .. but it works for my needs.... taste is diffrent with each person thats for shure..

hope you find what works for your needs...

lawnman3...

MantisFang

May 8, 2011
Arkansas
Be sure and check out the duel coil cartomizers. Search utube for Smok Tech for some reviews.

They look pretty tempting.. i mean it has to be twice as good with double the coils right? Does that mean it's twice the price or last twice as long? Maybe smoother or extra vapor production... Have you tried them yet?

MantisFang

May 8, 2011
Arkansas
mantisfang order the boge 510 3.2 ohm or 3 ohm cartomizers from puresmoker.com thats what i use on my v.3 at 6 volts they do work at 3.7 volts but not as much vapor at the lower voltages ... or if your looking for a 3.7 volt carto try the boge 2 ohm cartos i think there lr cartos...

good luck my friend ...

lawnman3...
Ahhh, i'll have to try that. I don't see an ohm option to select from but i'm guessing you mean the standard resistance option.

Ordering some of what you suggested and some low resistance batteries with some Manchester and Cherry Cola e-liquids. Maybe i'll hit a good combo on this next try. I'm getting tired of spending 7 bucks a pop on the disposable Square e-cigs at my local 7-11. Until i find an e-liquid/ohm/voltage setup to match those... i'm stuck.

Thanks again bro,
Fang

MantisFang

May 8, 2011
Arkansas
The Prodigy V3 is either a 6v (with 2 RCR123a LiFePO4s) or 3.7v (with 1 17670). I've had one for almost a year now, and it's hands-down my favorite device.

Unless I read your original post wrong, the problem you're having with the Boges is that they're Low Resistance and you're running them at 6v. So you're burning them. Actually, I'm surprised you didn't pop it outright. So get a 17670 battery (Pure Smoker sells them) for those cartos. For your standard or high resistance cartos, you're fine at 6v. The taste you're describing makes me think that you don't have them wet enough.

I just got my two 17670s and charger, and 10 lr cartos... only to find that the 17670 battery will not fit in my prodigy v3.1... yikes. what now? I'm tempted to peel off the plastic to get them to fit because it seems a bit thick but If i have to return them i don't want to do that. :(

What is puresmokers return/exchange policy? Perhaps I should have gotten the 18650 like cozz suggested?

Edit: Puresmoker responded to my ticket really fast, they are doing a tube exchange for me. yay

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread