Problems with X Priv 225W Box Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

werdnareldas

Sep 18, 2015
UK
Has anyone had problems with their x priv 225 box mod? Miine keeps bricking. I have managed to get it going again by removing the batteries, plugging in a USB, holding down all 3 buttons simultaneously and restarting it. There seems to be a serious software glitch. Any suggestions for firmware upgrades? There's nothing on smok website.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Um once a mod starts bricking and requires that much creativity to get it going, I generally recommend to the user (especially if it's a smok mod) to move on upward and onward, to something better.

You may be able to unbrick your mod 10 times, even a 100 times. However, it is currently not functioning correctly and you just never know which "unbricking moment" is going to cause it to blow up. I mean, okay yeah maybe it's a glitch, and surely you can afford to replace it? There are tons of other great mods, manufacturers and vendors. If you are interested in a particular thing, just post you desires and I'm fairly certain you will get tons of non smoke recommendations.

It's just not worth it in my opinion and also, it sounds rather annoying.

Good luck with whatever you decide,
Anna

werdnareldas

Sep 18, 2015
UK
Thanks for your advice Anna,
I have a store credit with another provider, I have replaced it. It's a shame because it is purty.
Of course I have a couple of backup devices but they aren't sub ohm. The store I purchased it from wasn't willing to send it back to Smok, That's London for ya! Grrr, it only lasted about 8-12 weeks and cost £70. Lesson learned.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
werdnareldas, ouch.

Reliable mod manufacturers that I know are Vaporesso, YiHi and Smoant. Smoant is one of the cheapest and most decent mods available.

If you get into shinyitis syndrome and must increase your collection of mods, fasttech from China has loads of vaping goodies available.

And even I started with a sub ohm SMOK, a Procolour. Burnt through coils as quickly as you put them in, got a Vaporesso Switcher and was shocked as it actually worked as it should. It's at one side now as I recently got a Luxe with 8ml Skrr tank, but it still works.

And I also swore never to buy SMOK again, as they're cheap, flashy and 5h17ly made. As they make more money selling you tat that you need to replace.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Thanks for your advice Anna,
I have a store credit with another provider, I have replaced it. It's a shame because it is purty.
Of course I have a couple of backup devices but they aren't sub ohm. The store I purchased it from wasn't willing to send it back to Smok, That's London for ya! Grrr, it only lasted about 8-12 weeks and cost £70. Lesson learned.
likely they’ve dealt with SMOK’s repair system before. The prettiness of it is a standard SMOK thing: low prices, bright colors, lots of features, and terrible manufacturing quality.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK

wackygt

Nov 4, 2018
Thanks Mordacai,
I have a fasttech account, after duties paid etc to import to England it is cheaper and faster to buy in the UK. If I was back in NZ I would most certainly be using Fasttech. I'll keep an eye open for any Smoant deals going for the future.
Cheers

What duties? Me and the other half have placed a few orders from Fasttech shipped to us in the UK and have never paid duties. Granted Fasttech isn't always cheaper but it's brilliant for stocking up on coils. Just hope the pound doesn't tank anytime soon!

Sorry about the SMOK by the way. Seems some people never have issues with their mods, however alot of people do. And their coils are god awful. I will never be interested in a manufacturer that values shiny / light up / voice activated rubbish over something that actually works!

wackygt

Nov 4, 2018
Cool advice Wackygt. I have used my fasttech account for a couple of tanks which I didn't pay duty on. No mods yet though, my thinking was anything over £20 you were slapped with duties by HMRC. Will keep it in mind for future purchases.

Think they label everything with a value of $15 so it doesn't get stopped. If in doubt, place an order and then open a ticket and ask them to mark it as a low value item. Was reading another thread about Fasttech yesterday on a UK vaping forum and the general consensus seems to be that everything is marked as $15 dollars nowadays.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
In my opinion color is one thing smok does like, really well.

Unfortunately, that is probably the least important part of a mod, the paint job. Trust me, when it goes up in flames, you won't be thinking 'My my, I miss that awesome rainbow especially the purple."

Smok has a LEGIT future in pain customizing mods, honestly, in my opinion.

UNLESS it's the pain job that is making them fail, in which case, never mind.

Anna

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Add Innokin to your to look at list. Their Proton is a sweet 2 battery mod that's extremely small and pretty to play with. Truth is there are lots of options of which almost all exceed Smok's QC standards. But remember that still means you can buy a dud from another company. Try and make sure the vendor has good policies and a reputation for standing by their customers.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Also Geekvape Aegis range, they're built like tanks.

And if you want the pinnacle of vaping tech, DNA mods are the leader. And you can get spare components as well, but they aren't at all cheap.

I keep on eyeing up the Lost Vape Triade and try to put myself off it, but it's beautiful in solid silver/stainless steel. And it's a 3 × 18650 mod, so it's not exactly light.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The store I purchased it from wasn't willing to send it back to Smok, That's London for ya! Grrr, it only lasted about 8-12 weeks and cost £70. Lesson learned.

likely they’ve dealt with SMOK’s repair system before. The prettiness of it is a standard SMOK thing: low prices, bright colors, lots of features, and terrible manufacturing quality.
Mordacai said:
bombastinator, what manufacturing quality?
I've worked in a vape shop that sold SMOK products, or at least for a while. We had more returns for faulty SMOK mods than any other brand. SMOK was always reluctant to accept returns for faulty mods, and would tell us that we had over-extended the maximum return rate. Really? As our shop had our own warranty in place for our customers, we had to eat that loss ourselves. It wasn't long before our manager decided to drop the SMOK brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread