Status
Not open for further replies.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I have been steadily reading about Protank issues and various fixes while patiently awaiting arrival of mine from a SLOW moving CO-OP.
Received mine (3 ProTanks) Friday along with 2 Evods and replacement heads.
Decided to work with one Protank until I can get it performing the way I want then will Copy fixes to the others.

Several issues as far as getting what I personally like in a vape.
Prefer a tighter Draw
Like good Flavor
Need Decent wicking for good vaporizing

Today I will cover what I have learned in comparing the ProTank wick/Coil to the Evod wick/coil.
This may have been covered but I have not found it specifically. Many people swap out the coils claiming the Evod is better.
What is it about the Evod coil that actually makes it Better? The main reasoning seems to be TIGHTER DRAW which also leads to BETTER FLAVOR. But WHY?

Comparing Bases:
ProTank is 510 with 3 air holes
Evod is EGO with 3 air holes
Air holes look to be dame diameter
Well, it isn't in the Bases:glare:

Comparing the Wick/coils
Coils are about the same - no Magic here
Wicks - Same Thing - Nothing special
Tubes - Different lengths but swappable. No real effect
Center pins - one tapered - one Flat. Nope not the Magic.

AHAH - Coil housing Diameter!!!
The bottom portion of the EVOD coil housing is considerably thicker than the ProTank Housing. When screwed onto the ProTank Base the EVOD coil eliminates most of the Free Air Space around the Coil Housing Reducing air flow and Tightening Draw.

A NEW Simple Fix for AIRY DRAW
No more Toothpicks - Teflon Tape(very bad by the way) - Super Glue - paper/cardboard/plastic hand cut rings!!!

All that is needed is a piece of 3/16" shrink tubing
This is the same size as the 510 connector and will need to be slightly sized to fit.

I used a fairly standard 6" shrink tube - holding one end pass a lighter quickly under the tubing. this will start to shrink it.(Quick and Slightly shrink) Tubing only needs to be reduced enough to slip into the 510 and around the Protank Coil Base.
After shrinking, clip the end off. (end will be to small) Cut a length 1/32" shorter than 510 connection and slip into 510 connection and around coil base.

Draw is now similar to that of a CE5 or Evod :D
This is effectively a tube insert and can be reused with coil changes

Another way would be to cut 2 pieces, place one over the coil base and shrink. next place the second over the first and shrink.
However since I plan on rebuilding, I prefer the insert method easy to remove/install.

For all this typing, it actually only took 1 minute to set up the gasket.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread