Protank Aspire BDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BNEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
I've successfully modified one of my Protanks and a Protank2 to accept the Aspire BDC coil heads. I haven't done a Mini or Mini 2 yet, but they'll be exactly the same as the big tanks. I don't have anything against the Aspire tanks, but I have quite a few Protanks in my arsenal, and after trying the Aspire coils, I knew I wouldn't be using the Kanger coils any longer. The modifications weren't difficult at all, but it probably helps that I own a machine shop. If this thread generates any interest, I'll post pix.

Last edited:

BNEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
I'm really loving this setup, I've been burning it up. I wanted to put a few "miles" on it to see how it was going to hold up, and so far, so good. It doesn't matter if the tank is full or completely empty, the Aspire coil performs flawlessly. BTW, I solved the reduced capacity issue that comes with all of the Aspire tanks, this one included. I can now fill this modded Protank completely bubble free! Which really wasn't that big of a deal to me, but the obsessive compulsive in me didn't like that it wasn't really full after a fill-up, LOL.

I'll post some pix soon

BNEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
In the tank on the right I shortened the center tube by .225"
ProtankAspireBDC.jpg

Standard Kanger style gasket
ProtankAspireBDC3.jpg

It takes a cool little trick to get it this full
ProtankAspireBDC12.jpg

BNEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
The PT2 was a little more work. I had to mill the lower tank cap to clear the Aspire coil, then machine the center tube about .020 to insure that it didn't protrude too far into the coil. It worked perfectly like this, but I decided to machine even more off of both surfaces and install a Kanger gasket which allows me to use my neat little trick for filling the tank completely.
04962bb5-e090-4de6-a6ed-e8dec741c3bb.jpg

ProtankAspireBDC14.jpg

BNEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
Here's a little trick for filling your modified tank all of the way. Slip an 1/8" diameter object into the kanger gasket, fill to the desired level, then when you put the base back on, you'll push the round object out through the top of the mouth piece. I used an 1/8' gauge pin, but anything will work. Most ballpoint pens have an 1/8' diameter cartridge inside of them that will work fine. Just be carefull whatever you use doesn't poke inside of your Aspire coil and cause damage.
b93f8b25-5556-490c-9b30-29b793c9e282.jpg

Last edited:

oldjoe

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2011
Il.
Here's a little trick for filling your modified tank all of the way. Slip an 1/8" diameter object into the kanger gasket, fill to the desired level, then when you put the base back on, you'll push the round object out through the top of the mouth piece. I used an 1/8' gauge pin, but anything will work. Most ballpoint pens have an 1/8' diameter cartridge inside of them that will work fine. Just be carefull whatever you use doesn't poke inside of your Aspire coil and cause damage.

I'll be trying that one on the next fill! Kudos for that tip! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread