Not open for further replies.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Q: I am worried my e-cigarette might explode.

A: This is a commonly-asked question right now. We can point you towards the full answer, which is here:

www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ann...-mods-update-february-2012-a.html#post5327522

A simpler, short-form version of this is:

• It is only certain types of APV [1] that are affected
  • Only certain types of metal tube APVs [2], with two batteries inserted, are affected
  • Only the mechanical type and electrical type are affected, not the electronic type
  • Other types of APV are not affected
  • Mini e-cigarettes are not affected (regular size models like the 510, KR808, etc.)
  • Mid-size e-cigs are not affected (like the eGo, Riva, Tornado, etc.)
Only mechanical and electrical (not electronic) metal tube APVs using two batteries for high voltage are implicated in these explosions. Nothing else is affected.

Here is some guidance:
  • It is best to use Li-Mn cells (such as the AW 'red' batteries), or protected Li-ion cells, in these 2-cell APVs (or in any of them for that matter).
  • Check that the C Rating for the batteries (maximum discharge current) given by the battery manufacturer is at least 2,000mA (2 amps). Batteries with a discharge capability lower than this are not suitable.
  • Unprotected Li-ion batteries, or batteries with a C Rating below 2,000mA, should not be used.
  • Ideally the device will have both electrical or electronic AND physical safety features. If so you should be covered, as long as you use the best batteries you can buy.
  • Cutting costs where batteries are concerned IS A VERY BAD MOVE.
  • Good batteries cost about $10 each. Using cheap $3 batteries for a 2-cell APV is not a good decision at all. You just multiplied the risk by about 1,000 times.
  • If you are using two batteries then you need to be ESPECIALLY CAREFUL.

Only non-electronic metal tube APVs with two batteries have exploded in use.
Nothing else is affected.

[1] An APV or 'mod' is an XL special that can be a basic battery holder through to a full-feature luxury model. Most take generic 3.7 volt rechargeable lithium batteries, also called lithium ion cells. Some hold one battery, some take two. In general they are bigger than minis or mid-size e-cigs, in order to hold bigger batteries. Some are tubes ('tubemods'), some are boxes ('boxmods').

[2] There are three types of metal tube APV:
1. Mechanical: these have no wiring and are all-mechanical in operation. The on/off button, normally on the end, moves a connector to contact the battery and there is no cabled circuit. There are no wires anywhere.
2. Electrical: these have a wired positive circuit passing through a switch.
3. Electronic: these have full electronic control, with a circuit board that performs functions such as variable voltage, electronic fuse, and digital readout.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread