Q & A with One Stop DIY Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Hi quendelyn,

This seems like a PG issue. 100% PG mixtures are notorious for low vapor production. With flavors added in, it will cause vapor production to drop as well, especially if the flavors are ethyl alcohol or water based.

If you could mix this up and try it -

50 drops 36mg, 28 drops PG, 15 drops VG, 7 drops flavor. (You may need more flavoring here due to VG not playing as nice with flavors as PG does)

This will give you 15% VG, which I recommend for all final mixtures (as a minimum), unless of course you just prefer a stealth vape. It will still work as intended, just very little visual vapor.

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
We receive a lot of phone calls and inquiries regarding vapor production with their DIY mixtures. Vapor production on the whole is determined by the amount of Glycerol (aka Glycerine, Vegetable Glycerin) in a mixture.

PG (Propylene Glycol) is a fairly thin base and on it's own produces vapor, however, not to the degree that most vapers are accustomed to. If you take unflavored PG dilution base, and fill up your cart and vape on it, you will notice that on the exhale, vapor production is minimal or non-existant, depending on how you vape, and the hardware being used. Adding in nicotine and flavors, can reduce the percentage of PG in your mixture, which further reduces the vapor production.

With that being said, the solution is to add in Glycerol to your mixtures. Many commercial e-liquids out there contain a low percentage of Glycerol in their final product. My personal preference is at 15%, while others shoot for 30-40%.

You want a LOT of vapor production? Easy. Mix up your final product at 60% PG, 40% VG. Keep in mind that the more VG you have in your mixture, the thicker the final product will be. This may cause issues such as: weak flavor (you can fix this, sometimes, by increasing the flavor percentage), wicking issues with certain atomizers (i.e. tanks, cartomizers), and difficulties dripping from your bottle (use a dropper or a larger size bottle to remedy this).

The above ratios are all suggestions. You may find that you prefer 10% VG, or absolutely no VG. There is no rule that VG must be in your mixture. Your e-liquid will work just fine using 100% PG with flavors, you just won't have much noticable vapor production.

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
A lot of people new to DIY are overwhelmed. They've heard from person_a to mix up using a specific PG to VG ratio, and person_b to mix up with three different flavors all with different percentages. They've gone out and picked up the supplies, and here they sit in their mixing station wondering how in the world they are going to get everything correct.

The e-liquid calculator is critical to creating e-liquid from base ingredients.

One Stop DIY Shop highly recommends the use of the e-liquid calculator "eJuice Me Up" by Breaktru software. Not only is it free, but the developer is an ECF member. You will find a lot of support for this program as many vapers use it.

You can download "eJuice Me Up" at - eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator

For this example, I will be describing the fields that I most often use with eJuice Me Up.

Scenario:
You want to mix up a very small batch of Creamy Strawberry Banana. You've decided that you want the creamy portion to come from Bavarian Cream, and want this to be a heavy taste in your vape. You also decided that you want to have some Strawberry and Banana under-notes to accent the creamy flavor. You've been told that Strawberry and Banana are both very strong flavors, so you decide to work with those in small percentages. You also have heard a lot of people rave about 60/40 blend liquids, and want your final mixture to have 60% PG, 40% VG. You have a Flavor-It-Yourself 48mg 100% PG e-liquid bottle for your nicotine base which you want to dilute down to 12mg, a 4oz mini jug of PG as well as VG, and 6ml bottles of each of the three flavors. You also have an empty 6ml bottle, some 1ml disposable pipettes, and some 3ml disposable pipettes.

Everything is ready to go. Now it's time to make the first experimental mixture. It's time to fill in the areas on eJuice Me Up to receive your calculations.

In the area for Nicotine Strength e-Juice, change PG % to 100, VG will turn to 0. The mg area should be 48. (if you had a Flavor-It-Yourself 48mg 50/50 blend, you would put PG 50%, VG 50%)

Target Nicotine Strength should be 12mg
Amount to Make should be 5ml
Water/Vodka/PGA should be 0

Flavor 1 (type in Bavarian Cream) should be PG 100%, VG will turn to 0. The percentage should be 20
Flavor 2 (type in Strawberry) should be PG 100%, VG will turn 0. The percentage should be 1
Flavor 3 (type in Banana) should be PG 100%, VG will turn to 0. The percentage should be 1
* Note on the PG or VG percentages on flavors: Some flavors are PG based, some are VG based, some are Ethyl Alcohol based. Working with Ethyl Alcohol based flavorings will reduce your PG/VG ratio. You can substitute one of the Flavor entries with your percentage listed in the “Water/Vodka/PGA” row, so it will not count this towards your ratio.

Now those are your base ingredients. Down below, in the Ingredient section, this is where the final calculations are made. Since you have decided to make a 60/40 blend for your final mixture, change PG to 60%, and VG to 40%. By changing these two fields, it will check your ingredients in the above list and determine which of them are PG or VG base, and at what percentage, and determine what base ingredients are needed to reach 60/40 with correct calculations.

Now that you set your final mixture PG/VG ratio, click on Calculate. You will now be presented with the exact measurements for each of the ingredients that you selected above.

Now you can take your pipettes and measure up the ingredients from their respective bottles and squeeze them into your empty 6ml bottle. Once you have all of the ingredients in the bottle, shake it up and let it rest for a minute or two and test it out.

Does it taste how you like? If it does, GREAT! If you think that the Strawberry is being overpowered by the Banana, then perhaps you need to bump the percentage up to 2%. This is where our own personal taste comes into play.

Last edited:

Aurora-Oblivion

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Isle of the Wizards
Woah Billy, that's a lot! :D

I'm nt trying to answer for Kimer or anything, but TFA or most any menthol made like that should be used in much smaller amounts, like 1-2% (If that). It does depend on the bottle size you are mixing, but I'd start around 3-5 drops per 5ml and work your way up from there.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: Kenna

Ink Stained

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2012
LEXINGTON KY
the menthol i got from wiz labs was already diluted to 10%, so when i made straight menthol, 20% made it 2%, if that makes any since? I have ruined about 6o mils of liquid trying to figure out lol. Figured someone around here might have the answer. THANK YOU, Ill go whip up a 10 mil bottle at around 2% and see where that gets me.

Aurora-Oblivion

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Isle of the Wizards
Ya, that's the normal average dilution for menthol from most any source (Even if you make your own from crystals that would be the starting point), so what I said above has that in mind.

Please start over and try what I mentioned above, 3-5 drips per 5ml of already finished juice. If 3-5 drops isn't enough, go a few more, but start with 3 drops in case that in itself is already too much, some drops are much larger than others, and since your menthol came in a glass vial I'm not certain what you are using for your drops. If you put that into a dropper bottle that's great, start with 2-3 drops then in case that bottle gives you larger than average drops.

Menthol is very strong, that is what it's best to start low, otherwise the juice will be made unvapeable very quickly if you use to much.

Don't look at menthol like a flavoring, look at it like just a xx drips per xx ml additive, 10% and 20% is definitely way too much, even if you had weaker 5% menthol

Good luck, hope you get it going for ya!

Ink Stained

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2012
LEXINGTON KY
yeah, 'i used what I had as a base to make some pretty tasty vanilla menthol. I havent had this issue with other menthols. Not anyones fault but my own. Think I may just order some menthol crystals and make my own so I actually have a general idea as to what the level is in it. I know 10% sounds kinda high to MOST if not ALL users honestly. But, I started mixing my own when I couldnt find a menthol that was strong enough....found it....LOL
I usually mix up around 60 mils once every 2 weeks, so as long as I am digging this vanilla menthol mix, I can still put it to good use for at least a month.

Aurora-Oblivion

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Isle of the Wizards
Did you have any luck yet Billy? Sorry, meant to check back with you sooner, but just remembered!

Don't toss what you ruined before, you can probably dilute it down, well at least hopefully if it's not super killa ya strong anyway. Haha, not sure if that would be possible if it's really bad, might have to go so low to dilute it that all the nic content would be gone. But I guess even if you did that you could set it aside until later when you got more Nic, then add in more Nic diluting it even further until you eventually find a happy menthol/Nic medium

Barto

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2011
Kapetown
This is the recipe that I use for DIY menthol drops.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/20590-menthol-drops-recipe-menthol-lovers.html
glare.gif

Works great, VERY strong, please work in small batches.
That's great, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread