Q: Homemade PT is weird o_0' (Laptop psu)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeviantDigi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2010
adasdad
Greetings,
I had an old laptop die on my the other day. So I decided to re-purpose the psu/power cord as it was pretty mangled anyway. Turning it into a pass through just as an experiment. It works, but its strange. It has a interesting pulse. When you press the button on the PT and it fires very rapidly on and off. I know of pulse waves and whatnot. I actually kinda like it. Something different.

Specs:
Emachines LiteON (<- Go figure :p)
Model: PA-1900-05
INPUT: 100-240v ~ 50-60 Hz 1.5A
OUTPUT: 18.5 V == 4.9 A
Made in China ;]

Say if I'm using a Genesis RAT, something with a metal body. If I put my tongue to the metal XD. It has a funny taste like a + side of a AA battery. I think somehow its building up a charge. As sometimes it shocks my lip. Its not like a 5v shock or anything.

Looking at it now, maybe I shouldn't go putting my tongue on electrical stuffins, but wth. As I said, its was just an experiment and curious if anyone had anything to add.

-digi :]

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
18.5 volts is a bit high to be vaping at. You are more then likely tripping protection on that adapter is the reason it seems like it is pulsing. A 2.3 ohm atomizer @ 18.5 volts would require 8 amps. Well passed the 4.9 amp rating of the adapter. So when you hit the button on the PT it trips and then resets trips again and repeats the cycle. More the likely using the adapter like that will shorten it's life considerably. Will also more then likely kill atomizers pretty quick, for sure would if it pumped 8 amps into one continuously. A 148 watts is well passed what most folks vape at by about 135 watts

DeviantDigi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2010
adasdad
18.5 volts is a bit high to be vaping at. You are more then likely tripping protection on that adapter is the reason it seems like it is pulsing. A 2.3 ohm atomizer @ 18.5 volts would require 8 amps. Well passed the 4.9 amp rating of the adapter. So when you hit the button on the PT it trips and then resets trips again and repeats the cycle. More the likely using the adapter like that will shorten it's life considerably. Will also more then likely kill atomizers pretty quick, for sure would if it pumped 8 amps into one continuously. A 148 watts is well passed what most folks vape at by about 135 watts

Sweet info Java. It seems to vape at around like 4v.

I think I'm going to stop using it lol.

MadmanMacguyver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Dallas Texas
there are a few regs from TI that will happily take that 18v and reduce it to a more manageable voltage...a plus to that... they are not sip5 which means no bending pins like on the TI 08100 chip...since they give free samples take a look and input the voltage from the psu and the output specs...you can find something that will do the job...I have 3 in my collection of samples that would...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread