Question about batteries from BatteryJunction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgreen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
WI
They have some Tenergy LifeP04 batteries the 3 volt ones. Now on there site its says that I should only use the charger they sell for it. I have a charger from madvapes that says it will charge the 16340 / CR123 batteries. I have posted a link to the charger from MadVapes.

AG-126 Lithium Ion Battery Charger

Will this charger work fine? Why would I need to buy a different charger??

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
the simple answer is that that charger you gave charges the batteries at a higher output to a higher capacity than those batteries can handle..for a 3V battery you need a 3V charger..

As for the yellow Tenergy 3V LiFePo4 batteries.....I wouldn't use those for a PV...
theier max discharge rate is <550mA ....the amps drawn in our typical aplication using them stacked in a 6V configuration is closer to 1300mA -2000mA ....so double to quadruple the max discharge rate of the battery...

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
well I would be using these for a Silver Bullet, so which 3 volt batts and charger would I use with what maH rating??

Lol it gets a little complicated in the explaination because to accurately illustrate I'd need to know what atty or cartomizer you're using...but as far as 3V batteries go and what I'd buy I'd get AW 3V LiFePo4 and the charger that goes with them which can be gotten through www.lighthound.com or directly from the AW dealer via paypal (that info can be found here: AW's LiIon Batteries Sales Thread *Part 11* - CPFMarketPlace )

Simply put not all Li-Ion batteries are created equal and neither are the LiFePo4
you should be careful that the Amp draw of the atty+ battery combination does not exceed the max drain rate of the batteries...because it overstresses the batteries...in safe chemistry batteries like LiFePo4 it'll just kill the cycle life of the battery....in Li-Ions it'll trip the protection if you exceed it by too much in protected batteries, or cause catastrophic battery failure in unprotected batteries..

the yellow Tenergy LiFePo4 batteries have a max drain rate of <550mA...
the AW LiFePo4 batteries have a max drain rate of <5000mA...

the max drain rate of a battery is figured by taking the mAh rating and multiplying by their C rating (sometimes the c rating isn't stated (and different makes of batteries have different C ratings) or the manufactur just states the max drain rate)
So the AW are lower mAh but they have a high C rate (10C)... so they're capable of discharging up to 5000mA in 6 minutes (dividing the # of minutes in an hour by the C rate)...

Aditionally you can find the amp draw of what you're using by taking the voltage and dividing by the resistance of the atty...
and use that to figure what the closest C rating is to what you're drawing and use that to figure out roughly exactly how much time the battery is actually gonna last you..

redrhino

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NY,CA,FL
LOL what Drozd said.........I'm not a technical guy at all....So If Drozd says to get those Batts....I would defiantly follow that advice.....Since Drozd is a very well established member of this Community.....I have a lot of respect for Drozd's Technical advise/opinion....

So yeah.... Just do as Drozd says and you will be OK for the Batts:)

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
I do exchange my batteries often...just because in my brain i think it's safer...

And generally it is...most batteries we're overstressing...some worse than others..which kills the duty cycle (# of recharges) and could lead to battery failure...
Truth is theres only a handful of batteries that have the capacity to handle whatever atty/cartomizer we throw at them..

Those are...any 18650 or the AW IMR highdrain LiMN 16340 for 3.7V
....the AW 3V (x2) LiFePo4 16340 for 6V
and... the AW 3.7V (x2) AW IMR highdrain LiMN 16340 for 7.4V

brandon555

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2010
Wisconsin
And generally it is...most batteries we're overstressing...some worse than others..which kills the duty cycle (# of recharges) and could lead to battery failure...
Truth is theres only a handful of batteries that have the capacity to handle whatever atty/cartomizer we throw at them..

Those are...any 18650 or the AW IMR highdrain LiMN 16340 for 3.7V
....the AW 3V (x2) LiFePo4 16340 for 6V
and... the AW 3.7V (x2) AW IMR highdrain LiMN 16340 for 7.4V

So is it probably not a good idea to be taking 10 second drags on my Protege with an unprotected 14500 3.7volt?

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
So is it probably not a good idea to be taking 10 second drags on my Protege with an unprotected 14500 3.7volt?

lol...probably not such a great idea really..
will it work?...sure...
is it safer than some other options?....sure
is it the safest?....not even remotely..
can it be somewhat safe?...as long as you're dilligent in monitoring your batteries and replacing them regularly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread