Status
Not open for further replies.

ctourtelot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2009
Richmond, VA
To date, no one has found anything in the vapor to be harmful. What you exhale is mostly PG or VG, Water Vapor and a minute amount of nicotine (probably less than they'd get eating an eggplant) PG has been widely used in public settings. It can be irritating to some people, but acts as an anti-microbial. You're actually cleaning the air lol. My daughter has asthma and my vapor never bothers her even sitting next to me on the couch. Some liquids have an odor which may or may not be detected by people in close proximity.

Overall the vapor dissipates so quickly that you'd have to vape like a chimney to fog the air up enough to even be noticed, so I wouldn't worry about it. Most of the stories of people complaining about the vapor, were people who were so against smoking that they "imagine" the vapor is harmful.

If it bothers your family, you might just need to move to another room while you vape, but from what we know about the vapor, it's not harmful.

JoeChemo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2010
Washington, USA
I agree with ctourtelot. The jury is still out on this but if you are concerned, I say don't do it around the family. Better safe than sorry. I never vape around children and I avoid doing so around non-smokers. I'm a heavy vaper in a private office at work and my experience during the past year suggests secondhand vapor does affect some people. Though many of my co-workers enjoy the smell when visiting my office, a few have mentioned feeling dizzy or claim they have a slight buzz from my clouds of vapor. :)

spek

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Oregon
I got on the thread here having this same question. I do experience clouds of vapor when vaping that hang around the room for a while. My girlfriend and I share a studio apartment so the overall space is pretty small too. Anyway, she has had a dry cough with no other symptoms for the last week or so and today suggested it could be my vapor. The only way to find out is stop vaping inside until her symptoms go away and look for a connection, I suppose. Has anyone else experienced this sort of second-hand vape reaction? Its interesting people have told you they get a buzz from short contact of second hand vape. Are people getting their family and children addicted to nicotine? Im pretty young, but I always told myself that if and when I had kids that it would be the ultimate quitting motivation. I never really expected the ecig to work this well but it has. Hopefully its not bad for others tho
Thanks

Zal42

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2011
Oregon
Anyway, she has had a dry cough with no other symptoms for the last week or so and today suggested it could be my vapor.

It's possible. I've not experienced it with vaping in particular, but I run events where I use a fog machine, which produces the same kind of vapor (pg). Some people have this reaction to that fog. pg draws moisture out of the lungs and throat and can cause minor irritation. For some folks, this adds up to a dry cough. It doesn't cause of any kind of serious health problem, but is annoying for those who are affected.

Some people, mostly asthmatics, are hypersensitive to pg vapor and should avoid breathing in the clouds, whether caused by vaping or fog machines. They may experience asthma-like symptoms.

Are people getting their family and children addicted to nicotine?

Almost certainly not. In test of the exhaled vapor, the nicotine content is very low. I suppose if it's a small poorly ventilated room and someone sits in it a lot, it's possible... but unlikely.

If those who say they're getting dizzy aren't in such a room, I might suspect that its either psychosomatic or coincidental.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread