Status
Not open for further replies.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I have the smok T-PRIV Kit. Would anything happen if i left it charging overnight while i slept?
It's generally discouraged to leave batteries charging over night. If something bad happens you're unlikely to catch it in time, risk a fire and might end up burning your house down (with you inside it). Charging inside a mod adds more risk than using an external charger, if nothing else then due to the batteries heating up more as they're in an enclosed space.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
It's generally discouraged to leave batteries charging over night. If something bad happens you're unlikely to catch it in time, risk a fire and might end up burning your house down (with you inside it). Charging inside a mod adds more risk than using an external charger, if nothing else then due to the batteries heating up more as they're in an enclosed space.

That said I do so all the time. I guess I’m just a risk taker. Or something.

Reactions: Charles Gage

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
That said I do so all the time. I guess I’m just a risk taker. Or something.
I too often charge over night, using my external chargers as I almost never charge in mods, but I wouldn't recommend it as a perfectly safe practice.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
If you trust your mod's charging circuitry as much as you trust the charging circuitry on your cell phone, cordless power tools, electric razor, etc then you should sleep well. It is true though that most battery failures occur during charging and that rate includes all of the myriad of portable, rechargeable devices we take for granted these days.

Your real question is: Do I trust this device to behave itself, knowing that it was made in a country not exactly renowned for exacting quality control standards?

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
Personally I wouldn't trust SMOK unattended charging, but I've had issues with one.

I charge my Drag occasionally at work, never heated up or have had any issues with it.

I do occasionally leave my batteries on my charger overnight at .5 amps. Never heated up.

I do check my batteries for torn wrappers and such every day. I'm not saying it's ok, but that's my experience.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The standard answer is: no. Did I used to do it all the time with my early vaping? Yes. Nothing bad every happened. I won't charge up removable batteries in my charger overnight though, there's no need (they recharge fairly quickly) and my charger is right next to my bed. I'm certain I'd sleep through any fire, I really would. I try to time my charging (even with internal batteries) now so that I don't have to do it overnight, though. I think the more folks learn about battery safety, the more willing they are to do things that way.

I will say that chargers and whatnot have built in protections that may very occasionally fail. This is not something I wish to fail at, however.

Anna

Reactions: Eskie

User335

Oct 4, 2017
Austria
I have the SMOK T-PRIV Kit. Would anything happen if i left it charging overnight while i slept?

I charge batteries on Charger at night and Day.
Batteries - Sony USC18650VTC6 (3120mAh)
Charger- Nitecore i4 Intellicharge (ChargeTime 5h.)
Some modes have quick charge - don't recommend

In your case it could and it couldn't happen.
Would recommend for start External Charger.

Batteries can explode or malfunction.
There is always some risk, but if you watch out and take good care the danger is minimal.

Some advice - place the charger in a Safe Space so nothing can Burn.
Bathroom or a Bullet box.

Read how batteries work (Google).

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
There are mods on the market you can charge internally such as DNA based mod as their board was specifically designed to work with Lipos, so they had to have a well developed balanced charging design. All my other mods I do avoid charging internally, unless I'm traveling and using a single battery mod that supports internal charging.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Ill charge my t-priv with the batteries in it in a pinch, with constant supervision. But only in a pinch. It does charge fairly evenly but normally ill charge the batteries externally. My charger shuts off when they reach full charge. So no worries.

That's a sound approach. It's nice to know in a pinch you can charge internally. But external is sill best on most mods.

• Agree
Reactions: bigbob2322
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread