Question about tanks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ld3441

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Florida, USA
I am still trying to get this all figured out so bear with me.

What I have... Evod kit, MVP2, 3 protank 2's, and an iClear 30.

Before adding more tanks I'd like to understand the difference in them. I know lots of people use cartotanks but I don't understand why. It seems to me to just be something extra inside the tank but I'm not sure why. Could carto's be placed in the tanks I have? I have also been looking at IBTanked. Do you have to use cartos in those or can I use the tank like my protanks without the carto? :oops:

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
You can try a nonpunched cartomizer to see what the difference is. In my opinion, there are no better glass tanks than IBTanked.

I use 3ohm 3-hole smoktech cartomizers from smoktek.com. They use to have a loose polyfill wick that would work well with most of the thick liquids I use, but they seem to have the same density as ikenvape wicks now. They do seem to have a lower thread count, making them more porous than ikenvape. Boge seems to be the most dense with wicks.

I use cartotanks, RBAs, and I just got an iclear30 with the mvp I just ordered..I'm about to give it away. I primarily use carto tanks. They offer a better hit and flavor than cleatomizers, and there easier to deal with after priming. If you don't prime them, or don't know the hole sizes for thicker liquids, you'll probably go back to clearomizers.

If you want a cheaper tank, if recommend just looking into polypropylene tanks. If they can handle hydroflouric acid, they'll handle whatever you throw at them, without BPA leaching into your liquid. I don't like the cheap metal encased pyrex tanks. If you get glass, phiniac, hoosier, or ibtanked.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What you have are called clearomizers or clearotanks. The protank is a bottom coil clearomizer and the iClear 30 a top coil clearomizer. Both use string wicks to feed juice to the heating coils.

A cartotank is explained in the link from my blog "Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what?"

I find that a cartotank provides more flavor and vapor than a clearomizer. The reason is the surface area of the wicks system used in either type of juice attachment. String wicks represent a small surface area, less liquid brought to the heating coil. A cartomizer uses a big wad of polyfiller material inside as its wick which totally surrounds the heating coil. More surface area = more juice to the heating coil = more flavor & vapor.

Each time you vape, the liquid that is vaporized in the cartomizer is replaced from the tank due to the negative pressure in the tank.

The parts are not interchangeable between a clearomizer or a cartotank. IBTanks are pyrex cartotanks, requiring using punched cartomizers. There are a few articles in my blog which deal specifically on cartotanks.

Baditude's Blog

IBTankedXL22.jpg TinyTank.jpg Clear 500.jpg tank lengths.jpg

IBtanked cartotanks.

Last edited:

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
i'm not familiar with carto tanks however there are top coil tanks like the vivi novas or bottom coil tanks like the evod or protank

always try to go with a metal or glass tanks so there's no chance of tank cracking juices ;)

if you are willing to buy from fasttech (chinese company that sells knockoffs and some genuine products at dirt cheap prices but takes weeks/month to deliver) I suggest for bottom coil
KWX10 Protank E-Cigarette Atomizer (2.8mL) it is exactly like the protank 2...even the atomizers and bottom plates are interchangeable ;) I like the drip tips on this KWX10 better than the protank lol and it's half the price

then for a bit bigger tank, I haven't tried it yet though but have heard good reviews on it.
DBOX PuriTank Bottom Coil Glassomizer (3.5mL)

and well, this one's in the mail ;)
RG500 Bottom Coil Glassomizer (5.0mL) just love the look of it and it's 5ml can't wait for it to get here....

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Thanks Baditude for your explanation for dummies! LOL
Any suggestions for larger clearotanks that are glass?

IBTanked has the largest selection in sizes of any tank manufacturer.
There are 4 diameters to choose from: 15, 19, 22, and 25 mm.
There are 3 lengths: halfling, standard (35mm), and XL (45mm).

Blog #3 is a review of the IBTanked that I did. You can view customer's pics of their tanks in IBTanked's supplier sub-forum: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ibtanked/339809-do-you-fiddle-your-thingy.html

Last edited:

Ld3441

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Florida, USA
Carto-tanks are also much less hassle and maintanence than clearos, as long as you have a good one like Phiniac or IBtanked. In fact, they are basically maintanence free other than replacing the carto every 10 - 15 days.

Hmm, might have to give this a try afterall.
I'm not looking for cheap stuff, I would want a good one. I plan to vape for a very long time (if not forever) so I want things that will last. My next purchase after more tanks will be a provari mini.

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
Hmm, might have to give this a try afterall. ProVari to
I'm not looking for cheap stuff, I would want a good one. I plan to vape for a very long time (if not forever) so I want things that will last. My next purchase after more tanks will be a provari mini.

Ok, then the carto tank you want to try is the IBTanked 22mm, which is the diameter of a ProVari. A ProRing sits on top of the ProVari topcap to provide smooth look.

The ProVari on the right has a ProRing. The one in the middle is an IBTanked 19mm and without the ProRing you get a different look:

134_ProVs.jpg

ETA: The tank on the iTaste 134 is a Loki Labs SS1 and the tank on the leftmost ProVari is a Phiniac.

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Hmm, might have to give this a try afterall.

I have been using Phiniac rugged glass tanks for over a year and they have never leaked or slipped and that is with the original seals. And they provide a second set of seals with your order. I recommend the 3-hole punched cartomizers (or at least two holes). They are so much easier, maintanence free and consistent than the clearos I have used, I would never consider using a clearo again. You just want to make sure when you start a new carto to prime it properly, usually 20-30 drops of eliquid. And put a little liquid around the outside to make it go into the tank more easily. And pick-up a tank re-filling tool for a few bucks to make re-filling easier.

Hopefully someday, someone will perfect a tank atomizer. That could trump everything currently on the market.

Last edited:

Ld3441

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Florida, USA
I have been using Phiniac rugged glass tanks for over a year and they have never leaked or slipped and that is with the original seals. And they provide a second set of seals with your order. I recommend the 3-hole punched cartomizers (or at least two holes). They are so much easier, maintanence free and consistent than the clearos I have used, I would never consider using a clearo again. You just want to make sure when you start a new carto to prime it properly, usually 20-30 drops of eliquid. And put a little liquid around the outside to make it go into the tank more easily. And pick-up a tank re-filling tool for a few bucks to make re-filling easier.

Hopefully someday, someone will perfect a tank atomizer. That could trump everything currently on the market.

I like the sound of this! Is there a particular cartomizer that is better or are they all the same besides amount of holes? I like maintanence free.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I like the sound of this! Is there a particular cartomizer that is better or are they all the same besides amount of holes? I like maintanence free.

IKenvape's Fusion and Platinum series of punched cartos are very popular. I also like the dual coil cartos from Smoketek but others don't. With the dual coils you will want to be using a VW model PV with a 3.5 amp or higher switch such as the Vamo, Zmax or iTaste V3.

Punch! Cartos & Tanks

http://www.sweet-vapes.com/shop?pag..._color_plus.tpl&product_id=311&category_id=21

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
I just started usimg cartos and two weeks ago i didnt get it either. The only teason i did was really baditude, my second day on this forum he suggested them, even suggested the mvp and let me tell you it took me $900 and a dozen wick tanks to go a duh maybe ill atleast try it! And honestly the only reason i did try it was because i had credit at a store. So i splirged and tried one.

Get urself a smok dct pyrex and try it out. I love that theres not a bunch of crap to fiddle with, wicks are messy when cleaning and changing and you have to wash them and they burn real easy. And by burn i mean burnt.
There is a big break in Time with wicks, i have to vape atleast half a tank woth wicks just to start to get good vapor.

Cartos are clean easy, even easier to fill than wick tanks. U easily see your juice level. Ive yet to get a burnt or dry hit. Yeah and no break in time. None. When vapor starts to get low its time to refill or switch flavors. There is no soaking in vodka to get rid of any production waste that lingers, and the smoke pyrex dct and the ibtanks are glass. No need to ever worry about cracking or melting plastic. No leaks. No more qtips and cotton balls to dry off my battery connections.

The day after i got my smok dct, i ordered an ibtank, 3 more 6 ml smok tanks and then i went to fastech and ordered 4 of the 3ml smoke pyrex tanks. Just placed an order at ikenvape for 15 punched cartos in two different sizes.

Let me tell ya that the 6ml tanks are awesome for not having to refill. The fasttech 3 ml tanks are less than $6 and i found the smoke pyrex 6 ml for less than $7

Cartos cost about the same as wicks, last the same amount of fills, only you dont even clean them. I have unpunched cartos for taste testing new juices.

Fyi my other tank experiences include
Kanger t2 t3s t4 evod esmart510
Vivi nova, mini vivi nova,
Stardust, iclear16, itaste10s,
Aspire bdc ego, 510 and mini nova,

Thats over a dozen right there.
I have a iclear 30 but dont feel like soaking it and breaking it in.
I have 5 unused iclear16s they had been my go to tank so i bought extras. They are clean and unused.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

There are three major brands of cartomizers: Smoktech, Boge, and Ikenvape.

Smoktech and Boges are readily available at most online vendors. Ikenvapes are pretty much only sold at Ikenvape's online store.

Everyone prefers one brand over another. I happen to prefer Ikenvape; their consistancy carto to carto is unmatched, they provide better flavor, and last longer than the other two brands. Unfortunately they are in limited production and are often out-of-stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread