Question about voltage on 1 ohm coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

csweet08

Jun 17, 2015
Hello, i'm currently using an atlantis 2 with a 1ohm coil. I've been happy running it at around 35 watts, which is well below the safe coil rating. My concern is my mod is showing voltages of 6.2 volts at this wattage. However if I lower the wattage to get the volts down in the low 4's, I don't get much vapor production at all. I'm concerned that running the volts that high is dangerous given recent studies, but the vapor isn't all that hot or burnt tasting. Anyone know how all this works and if it's safe?

KEN47

Jul 15, 2015
New York
The chemical you are concerned about is formaldehyde. This chemical is created by basically melting plastic or heating it up to a high temperature. The way the study was done was with tanks such as the iclear and vivi nova both of which have plastic components. They took those and put them on high powered mods and then concluded e-cigarettes have formaldehyde. This is true in that situation but not in yours. The atlantis is made for sub-ohming and for use with high powered devices. As long as your getting a good vape and flavor take it up as high you want.

jfb7

Jul 16, 2015
With a 1 Ohm coil your voltage will be the square root of the wattage. That said, voltage is electronic and has nothing to do with anything.
For a study, the only reason they'd get a result is that a higher voltage produces a higher power.

Power levels determine the rate at which the mod transfers heat into the atomizer, and the maximum mass flow rate -- how much will be delivered to you.
The higher the power level, the more quickly the temperature will rise. You can burn your food whether you leave a burner on your stove at 5 or 10, but you need to watch it more at 10 as it gets hot more quickly.
For a study, the only reason they'd get a result is that, with everything else controlled, a higher power will produce a higher temperature. But really, if it's already up at an unsafe temperature, a lower power would still maintain it. So trying to correlate those two isn't really very thorough science in my opinion...

Temperature is the important factor for safety here. You can Google a bunch on thermal decomposition temperatures if you like. Stay at lower temperatures and you're golden.

In the low 4s, no vapor? Either your mod is inaccurate, your atomizer has very high losses, or it may take a while to get up to temperature: You will get no vapor production until the coil temperature is at least the boiling point of your liquid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread