Question about watts/volts and ohms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Cunningham

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
North Carolina, USA
When I'm using a 1.8ohm coil in a tank, I can't go above 4 volts or so. So how do people vape at 50 watts without having a very high ohm coil, especially with sub-ohm vaping.

Is there really any point in having a mod going over 20watts? On my VV I have right now I never go above even half that; not sure how that would work with any tank.

idk. I have enough to buy a 50 watt box mod but see cheaper ones like the istick at 20w so not sure if it's worth the money to get a 50watt.

Niten13

Verified Member
Nov 18, 2014
Tigard, OR, USA
It is totally up to you. What Tank are you using?
People using high wattage/high ohms are on a dripper, with a high wattage box mod and a properly built RDA you can build higher ohm coils to get more surface area.
Because we can up the wattage we can then apply the right amount of power to heat up a larger coil fast enough to get a good vape.
If I build a 1ohm coil on my dripper and set it to 20 watts I do not get much out of it because its taking so long to heat up, set it to 35 watts and it will heat up much quicker.

Niten13

Verified Member
Nov 18, 2014
Tigard, OR, USA
You can it just wont be great. 1.2 ohm on a dripper you can go much higher. Rebuilding my silverplay can go to 50 watts, but I built it to hit and wick at that high wattage.
This is my 1 ohm stovetop coil, runs best for vapor at 40-45 watts.
Stovetop.jpg

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Some devices have amp limits. This varies by the specific device. All regulated mods have some limit or another. And although I say amps, you can think of it as watts too (it's all related).

Also, different batteries (I mean the actual battery...the cell) have differing amp capabilities.

Also, most regulated mods have a 'cut off" for safety.

Then there's the limits of the topper.

These facts combine to give you a functional limit to your vaping per config.

Will Cunningham

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
North Carolina, USA
You can it just wont be great. 1.2 ohm on a dripper you can go much higher. Rebuilding my silverplay can go to 50 watts, but I built it to hit and wick at that high wattage.
This is my 1 ohm stovetop coil, runs best for vapor at 40-45 watts.
View attachment 406381

so this chart is only for non-RBA's? - iPV V2.1

I don't see any level where you could really go near that high without burning the juice. So with RBA's you can keep the ohms the same but make them larger for more vapor? I just thought ohm resistence would be the same, not being able to go above 15 watts without burning any coil. Idk, I'm noob sorry

jimbodaddy74

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2013
Everywhere you want to be
With high wattage and lower resistance, air flow and wicking become more important. If you can wick fast enough and move enough air to keep a temp balance on the coil, you will likely not burn your liquid.

Fwiw, I'm running .22 ohms in a Tobh with the air holes drilled out at 65 watts and don't burn liquid. But dry hits are horrible.

Shootist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2014
Decatur, GA, USA
When I'm using a 1.8ohm coil in a tank, I can't go above 4 volts or so. So how do people vape at 50 watts

They vape at 50 watts by using a very LOW Ohm coils, Sub Ohm (That's Sub 1 ohm coils). Somewhere in the .3 to .1 ohms (that is POINT 3, as in 3 tenths, to POINT 1, as in 1 tenth, of an ohm).

If you do the math 50 watts from a .3 ohm coil is only 3.87+ volts. With a .2 it is 3.16+ volts and a .1 ohm coil it is down to 2.23+ volts.
So since 99.9999% of all battery holding devices used for vaping do not go down to that low of a voltage you would need to vape a .1 ohm coil in the 90 to 100+ wattage range.

99% of all vaping takes place between 3.3 and 4.2 volts. Sure there are some that might vape at high voltages but they are rare in my opinion.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    This is a classic example of only looking at ohms law instead of the total equation. (Thermodynamics)

While combustion gets your car engine hot, there is a cooling system that makes it run at the proper temperature.
    The e-cig is no different.
    Volts/ohms/watts heat the coil in the atomizer, and it's the e-liquid (wicking) & air flow that gives us the proper temp.
    So it's very easy to make a high ohm coil (low wattage) run to hot, or have a low ohm coil (high wattage) run to cold.

E-liquid on a coil works just like water on a campfire.

Last edited:

smacksy

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 17, 2014
    Alexandria, Louisiana USA
    Yeah, your right 59...I run a .27 ohm dual coil build in my dark horse at 75w (4.5v) on my 150w IPV3..with the airflow wide open its a warm vape, but not hot. and with the 14mm I.D. chuff drip trip its great..the added airflow helps cool the coils, makes for thick clouds and the flavor is off the charts..
    Might not be the best setup for some folks but for me it definitely does the trick.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread