Question about welded wire from FastTech, NR-R-NR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, this is what popped up. I'm sure someone will have more vape related information about this wire, but this is what it is., so it appears.. Ferrochrome - Wikipedia, so it's an alloy used in the production of stainless steel? I would have no idea how or why to vape it, but I stick with non-exotic wires. Good luck and I'm sure others will have better answers for you, vape wise.

Anna

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I purchased welded wire for coil building. Its Ni200 - FeCr - Ni200. It has an ohm value of .28 ohm.
$3.04 Pre-made Welded NR-R-NR Resistance Wire for RBA Atomizers (100-Pack) 100-pack - FeCr + Ni200 / 26 AWG / 0.4mm dia. / 0.28ohm / 50*50mm leads at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
First question is, What is FeCr?
No where can I find what FeCr wire is.
I know the Ni200 is Nickle.
Which brings me to my second question, Could these welded coil wires be used without temperature control?

It's kanthal (kanthal is a brand name for It's kanthal (kanthal is a trademark/brand name for FeCrAl alloys).

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I purchased welded wire for coil building. Its Ni200 - FeCr - Ni200. It has an ohm value of .28 ohm.
$3.04 Pre-made Welded NR-R-NR Resistance Wire for RBA Atomizers (100-Pack) 100-pack - FeCr + Ni200 / 26 AWG / 0.4mm dia. / 0.28ohm / 50*50mm leads at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
Which brings me to my second question, Could these welded coil wires be used without temperature control?

Fe is the Elemental Symbol for Iron. And Cr is the Elemental Symbol for Chromium. FeCr is a Unified Term for a Family of Iron/Chromium Metal Alloys.

Pure Chromium would be a Poor Choice for a wire. Because a Pure Chromium Wire would be Very Brittle. So to achieve Ductility, but to still maintain Much of the Chemical, Electrical, and or Physical Properties of Chromium, Iron is added.

So how much Iron and how much Chromium is in this FeCr Wire? Hard to say. I have seen some FeCr alloys that have about the same amount of Chromium as Iron. But I have also seen some where Iron is around 20%. You usually don't see High Amounts of Chromium because you just don't get Increasing benefits by using High Percentages of Chromium. But it Significantly increases the Cost per weight.

---

I actually have some of that Welded Wire somewhere. I threw it on a FT order a long time ago just to try it out. But never got around to doing a build with it.

Not sure what to tell you on TC vs Power Mode?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
It's kanthal (kanthal is a brand name for It's kanthal (kanthal is a trademark/brand name for FeCrAl alloys).

Is it Kanthal?

I see that FT does List another product in the same page as Kanthal + Ni200.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Is it Kanthal?

I see that FT does List another product in the same page as Kanthal + Ni200.
Technically none of the wire we use is kanthal as we don't use the kanthal brand, but FeCrAl is the alloy that we use as "kanthal". It's very, very likely that this wire is the same.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama

I'm not 100% on it but I'd say yes they can be used without temp. I haven't messed with that wire since I quit running an Ithaca. Back then you had to use NR-R-NR because the lead legs were so long, things have changed though. When in doubt don't use it, is my rule.

Kanthal normal power mode wire is FeCrAl, so this stuff is different. I'll dig more but I wouldn't use it until absolutely sure.

EDIT: There seems to be a consensus that FT has a typo problem and keep forgetting to add the Al on this and various types of wire. They've listed premade Claptons as FeCr as well. I'm still not 100% on it though.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Technically none of the wire we use is kanthal as we don't use the kanthal brand, but FeCrAl is the alloy that we use as "kanthal". It's very, very likely that this wire is the same.

It could be FeCrAl.

But I tend to think it is what it is described as. Because FeCr wire Isn't anything all that Special or that Exotic.

Reactions: stols001

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
It could be FeCrAl.

But I tend to think it is what it is described as. Because FeCr wire Isn't anything all that Special or that Exotic.
Fasttech regularly has lacking descriptions. I'm just reasoning here, but it's more likely that FT has an incomplete description than it not being the most common wire used in vaping. Of course, I don't know for sure, and I'm no expert in metallurgy so I couldn't even start to guess what the practical differences between FeCrAl and FeCr would be.

• Agree

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Fasttech regularly has lacking descriptions. I'm just reasoning here, but it's more likely that FT has an incomplete description than it not being the most common wire used in vaping. Of course, I don't know for sure, and I'm no expert in metallurgy so I couldn't even start to guess what the practical differences between FeCrAl and FeCr would be.

No arguments on FT's lacking descriptions sometimes. LOL.

But in this case, I would lean more towards the wire being just what FT says it is. FeCr and not FeCrAl.

BTW - The Only practical difference between this FeCr and Kanthal A1 for some people may be Taste.

And with a Whole Lot of other people, it may just be just a Mental Perception because they have Read that this "New" FeCr wire is a "Game Changer".

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Letitia

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
No arguments on FT's lacking descriptions sometimes. LOL.

But in this case, I would lean more towards the wire being just what FT says it is. FeCr and not FeCrAl.

BTW - The Only practical difference between this FeCr and Kanthal A1 for some people may be Taste.

And with a Whole Lot of other people, it may just be just a Mental Perception because they have Read that this "New" FeCr wire is a "Game Changer".

It's like you said earlier, without knowing the % of anything, who knows how well it really works. I don't know how much of a difference the lack of Al will/would make (if it doesn't actually have any in it) other than increased wear rate, possibly. I guess having or lacking a certain amount of Al could affect the resistance per length amount, but I'd imagine it'd be minimal.

EDIT: Just a thought but if it isn't for temp use, wouldn't the mod just kick over to power mode?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
It's like you said earlier, without knowing the % of anything, who knows how well it really works. I don't know how much of a difference the lack of Al will/would make (if it doesn't actually have any in it) other than increased wear rate, possibly. I guess having or lacking a certain amount of Al could affect the resistance per length amount, but I'd imagine it'd be minimal.

EDIT: Just a thought but if it isn't for temp use, wouldn't the mod just kick over to power mode?

Absolutely.

Very Hard to know what is what when the Only thing you have to go by is a Reference to a "Family" of Metal Alloys.

And even that Isn't 100% Guaranteed.

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
I'm not 100% on it but I'd say yes they can be used without temp. I haven't messed with that wire since I quit running an Ithaca. Back then you had to use NR-R-NR because the lead legs were so long, things have changed though. When in doubt don't use it, is my rule.

Kanthal normal power mode wire is FeCrAl, so this stuff is different. I'll dig more but I wouldn't use it until absolutely sure.

EDIT: There seems to be a consensus that FT has a typo problem and keep forgetting to add the Al on this and various types of wire. They've listed premade Claptons as FeCr as well. I'm still not 100% on it though.
This puts a spotlight on view of how FT actually rights up the specifications of an item / material.
Your response was an eye opener to me.
( Like lsearching high and low for the tool you need, when its right in front of you.)
The only problem I see now is, I would need a $10.000.00 dollar machine that some pawn shops use to quickly & accurately tell me the composition of the wire.
That would be the 2nd $10,000.00 dollars I'd have spent on my vaping hobby. > LOL

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
I haven't messed with that wire since I quit running an Ithaca. Back then you had to use NR-R-NR because the lead legs were so long, things have changed though.

I still have a homemade wire welder from my Odysseus days, what a PITA to rebuild, great taste but glad that's over.

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
Side Note:
I love to re-build all coils. RTA's as well as all stock coils that are not designed to be rebuilt.
I purchased this NR-R-NR wire to try re-building the coil head in my Smok Styled 1500 mAh Pen. No mater what wire, coil gauge, I/S coil diameter and amount of wraps,,,, nothing would work.
( Remember, the Smok Pen has a built in tank which doesn't show coil ohms or power output.)
I've tried 6-8 times with no luck until I used an 0.2 ohm, 5mm diameter notch coil. This worked fine, but the air flow was to wide open to my liking. Also the 5mm diameter coil did not leave much room for any decent amount of cotton. So I used the above NR-R-NR wire on a 3.5mm jig. The FeCr part of this wire is only 3 3/4mm, so with 8 wraps around the 3.5 mm jig, there was only ( 4 wraps ) of the usefull FeCr wire within the coil. The remaining 4 wraps, (2 on each end) were made of the Ni200 wire. ( This worked well to keep the coil tight and prevent cotton from creeping in and shutting down the air flow.)
This coil build is working fine in the Smok Pen Coil. (Remember, I cannot take the tank and coil off the Smok Pen and mount it on a mod that can read the finished ohm build.) Note: The wire is stated to having a 0.28 ohm resistance.
With all that stated, I won't chain vape the Smok Pen, so as to not let it get hot, (just warm.) in case there is an issue with the Ni200 wire being incorporated into the 8 wrap coil.

Last edited:

inganeer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Missouri
Still twist mine. Guess I'm a diehard. Still love my oddy's and term-c's. Seen those welders at times and thought it would be nice but always a day late or dollar short lol.
All the nr - r - nr wire I have purchased from Fasttech has been kanthal for what its worth.

Sent from my LGL63BL using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread