Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark F

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2014
Tempe, AZ
Wrapped a few nickel coils for the first time yesterday and all three read .05 ohms on the DNA40. Is that to low for safe vaping? Using 26g with 12 winds, and then 14 with a larger ID, they seem to settle in at .05 ohms. I thought I read the target resistance is .12 - .08 ohms. Maybe I should try 12 wraps spaced to raise the resistance. Thoughts?

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Hmm interesting. Last I checked the DNA40 had a minimum resistance of 0.1Ω for Ni and 0.15Ω for kanthal. I'm not sure it should be firing that coil...

Really, it just depends where you like it best. I've found I like dual 28g nickels at 0.08Ω, 450ºF and 30W. You will definitely need some higher gauge wire though, 28 isn't too bad to work with and can get you reasonable resistance builds. 30g is better, but a PITA to work with.

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Thanks for the reply, I should probably order some 28 and 30 tempered next week and see what happens. Weird that after all I read about nickel coils being difficult to build and use that all three of the first ones went smoothly other than a lower resistance.

I agree. I never really found Ni a pain to work with but we are also using lower gauge wire. A lot of folks in the TC threads are using 30 and 32 gauge which seem to be a different story. 28g is fine for me though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread